Any Gibson Lovers Out There?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Feb 10, 2013.

1. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Gibson basses don't seem to get much love from anywhere. Anyone a fan of them on here? What do you like about them? I've never played one, I'm just a curious onlooker. :)
  2. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I think this forum largely consists of Fender fans, so the Gibson lovers are vastly outnumbered. I got my first Gibson bass about a month ago (after owning several Fenders over the years), and I must say I'm really impressed and on my way to fanboyhood.

[​IMG]
  3. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

That's actually really nice. How's it sound? :D
  4. beatsbears

beatsbears

I've liked the feel of many of the gibson/epiphone short scale basses I've tried, but could never get to tone or low tuning I wanted out of them.

However, recently I picked up one of the limited edition explorer basses and absolutely love it. Great neck, great tone, and looks awesome. It definitely has me curious to try some other 34" gibson basses.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I currently own a Thunderbird and am awaiting delivery of a Midtown. Me likey the Gibbys.
  7. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

I like all kinds of basses...including Gibsons. They certainly have their place in the world of basses. Here are a couple of mine:

[​IMG]
  8. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I like Gibson basses. There are a lot of diff models over the years all good for diff reasons. I'm a huge fan of Cream, Free and Mountain so I got a 66 EB3 and a 69 EB1. Short scales are fun to play and have a heavier tone on the D and G strings compare to long scales. The pickups are a whole other deal compared to Fenders, more bass diff mid range emphasis and hotter. I also like the set neck construction and all the mahogany. Lots of T bird fans too. Check out the Thunderbird club, it's pretty big
  9. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Gibson just needs to let some professionals sort out the pickups.

On the rare occasion that the pickups are in useful positions in one of their basses they then turn around and put in super hot ceramics.
  10. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

I love Gibson basses. Some of the best playing basses you will find. I currently have four of them.
  11. lang3735

lang3735

After working on many of these basses during the course of 11+ years doing setups in the music shop where I work, I feel the bridge style lets these otherwise solid basses down tone wise IMHO. There are only 3 small contact points to the body which are all threaded/adjustable, as when compared to most other bass bridges which are in direct and solid contact with the body.
    This could also be the pickup style as well the bridge anchoring system..... in short, not my ideal sound but everyone has different tone ideals.
    I have not posted this to offend anyones tastes, it's just my own thoughts on the subject.
  12. Teacher

Teacher

SturmUndDrang is correct: there seem to be lots of T-bird fans here (including our queen!) As for me, I've never owned one, but I've loved the necks on every Gibson I've tried (not exhaustive, mind you). The balance, on the other hand, has been very hit or miss. The sounds seem to be divisive: love 'em or hate 'em.
  13. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

It's great! Here's a short sample/demo video I made. I've since replaced the strings with La Bella Deep Talkin' stainless steel rounds, which give it an even brighter tone. I'm really happy with this one. The rumors about these SG basses being limited to muddy tones are grossly exaggerated.
  14. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I had an old EB3-L some years ago (not really sure when it was made). Walnut finish (very nice color) kinda beat up, but still serviceable. The only real problem it had was the infamous dead spot on the G string, but I enjoyed the sound and the ease of playing (my first long scale, BTW) so much I was willing to put up with it. Paid a friend a hundred bucks for it, with the original case. traded it in at a local store in a deal for a '78 P-bass, got $80 for it. If I could get one just like it, except for the dead spot, I'd be a very happy man.
  15. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Wow! Beautiful bass! I have the Heritage Cherry version, which I really like... Except for the modified T-Bird neck p'up. Though clearer than my friends EB3 "Mudbucker," it squeals and rings when the volume is up full, and I'm not fond of the tone.

I ordered an SGD custom replacement, which I hope to receive soon... If rumors are accurate, that p'up should be fab!

I have a few other mods planned for it as well... I'll post photos when it's finished.

Congratulations! Your LTD Edition SG bass is beautiful!!
  16. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

:) Thanks for that!

I love Gibson basses, all of them - not just Thunderbirds! I prefer to think of them as "The path less taken" and like it that way, they don't get much love here on TB, I figure most guys really don't know what great basses they're missing out on.

Thunderbird love, right here :D

[​IMG]
  17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Absolutely hate them. ;)

[​IMG]
  18. tibpson

tibpson

I don't own any Gibson, but I tried a Thunderbird once and I hated the neck dive, didn't feel confortable playing with it.
  19. main_sale

main_sale

I own four and Gibson Basses have been berry, berry good to me!

[​IMG]
  20. tinman 1967

tinman 1967 Supporting Member

Heres my 2 Gibbys. Love the Les Paul "$" bass more than anything, but the white SG is not really my thing...... Just dont care for the short scale thing, otherwise its a great bass guitar.

Attached Files:

21. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

I have a blue LP$ and it's the bee's knees! The natural finish is satin, right tinman?