Any Gretsch Thunder Jet owners out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedHotFuzz, Apr 7, 2014.

1. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Do you have any sound samples you can share? I can find nothing on YouTube (nor anywhere else). I'd be particularly interested in the typical "Vs. P-Bass" comparison.

No one carries these locally, so I'm at the mercy of the Interwebz. :(

2. ravelax

ravelax

I'd be interested in some sound clips as well. I love the look of these, but they're quite pricey. Are they worth the money, can you put the tone to good use?

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have one but no sound samples, at least yet. I can tell you that the 6128 Thunderjet is the best made bass I've ever had my hands on. The setup seems rock-solid. In terms of construction, you get what you pay for.

In terms of sound, I've put flats on mine - the rounds were REALLY zingy and I couldn't stand the annoying sounds when I moved my fingers. The pickups on the ThunderJet have more treble than you would guess.

I'm a three-Gretsch guy. (Plus Fender, plus Gibson, plus other stuff.)

[​IMG]

As far as "can you put your tone to good use"....I have no answer besides "yes". Everyone is responsible for deciding whether they can get sound they like out of their bass/amp/effects combination. The ThunderJet sounds great to me. Does it sound $1000+ better than my Squier Mikey Way bass? Probably not, but it sounds different...and good. Does it sound $600 better than my orange Gretsch 5123 hollowbody? Nope, but it sounds different...and good.

I don't have a "tone" (dislike the vague term), and I question whether many of us do. I think we just tweak things until we get a sound we like - and it may be different through different basses played through different amps and in different sound environments.

Buying a top line bass won't change your sound drastically, and it won't work magic on your ability to play. It should have excellent finish, construction and aesthetics...and the ThunderJet absolutely does.

4. ravelax

ravelax

Thanks for the "review"! I guess what I want to know is whether the bass has a very peculiar sound, that could potentially limit its usefullness in certain situations, or if it's more "all round". But your answer is of course reasonable, tone depends on a lot of factors. Anyhow, I'd love to hear one of these!

How's the neck? And balance?

5. Register to disable this ad