Any help appreciated - need advice on whole setup!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katalyzt13, Jan 17, 2014.

1. katalyzt13

katalyzt13

First off, I know that there are a lot of threads on getting great metal tone on bass, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

I've been on a quest to get a bass tone similar to A Storm of Light on their most recent album with no success. I am currently using an Ibanez Soundgear bass with active pups, an MXR M80 and a Fender Bronco 40. I can't get that growl with the same type of clarity. I've tried various things, including recording techniques to get a processed tone if not a live tone.

I've decided to start from scratch. I am going to have to come in under $1500 total if at all possible. I need a suggestion on a new bass, I want to try passive this time, an amp (going for enough wattage for small gigs, head and cab preferable), and any necessary pedals. If I have to push my budget up, I'm willing to go up to $2000 if it is absolutely necessary.

Please help!
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'd suggest start with your rig. The Soundgear bass line are fine instruments.

You need the right signal...not knowing what that bassist uses, there may be a box in the chain, well exercised amp & cabs, the EQ.

If you want cheap reliable power, I like my Hartke LH1000. About $650 new. Even the LH500 is an heckuva upgrade from a Bronco 40. Pounding tube tone that won't quit.

Others, for metal tone may have a informed cab suggestion.
  3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The first thing I do whenever I want a different tone is to try another type of strings. It's a lot cheaper and less of a headache that disposing of an "uncooperative" bass.

Real life example; I was about to sell off a Jazz bass that got a pickup upgrade. The sound was fairly bland and disappointment was abound. But before I got rid of it, I decided to try a similar set of strings I'd used (to very good effect) on another bass. The difference was "night and day" and the bass stayed.
  4. katalyzt13

katalyzt13

I've tried a few different sets at this point, people have given me all kinds of opinions on the best strings to get a good metal growl on bass, but it isn't working for me. Been messing with EQ, boosting mids, boosting high mids, playing near the bridge, playing near the neck, etc. I'm just really frustrated and I have a bunch of pent up anger towards my Ibanez Soundgear at this point.

As an aside, the Ibanez Soundgear models that have the Bartolini pups seem like they are much more growl-y, so that is a distinct possibility as I like the shape a lot. My current Ibanez Soundgear just has active Ibanez pups.