1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any idea what I'm looking at here?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mindwell, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Found this in a pawnshop and I quite like how it feels and sounds. Pretty sure it's plywood. Seems to maybe be 5/8, as it's bit smaller than my Engelhardt. Has no markings whatever; only name is on the underside of the tailpiece, which is a Wittner that says '3/4' on it. Bridge has adjusters, machine heads are a cut above the ones on my bass, and fingerboard looks darker than the rosewood on mine. Neck profile is very chunky from to back.

[​IMG]

Anybody tell me what I may be looking at here?
  2. dieterdiettrich

dieterdiettrich

I know Framus builds basses with the single cutaway, but I think the cutaways on those are a little different. Take it into a luthier, see what they can figure out.
  3. pnchad

pnchad

yep probably a ply Framus from the 60s or 70s
  4. mindwell

5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Framus. I know a player in Belgium who has one just like the one you found.

How much do they want for it?
  6. mindwell

Huh. Well I'll be. Anyway, $599. Board needs a bit of work, but I'm pretty sure it's ebony.

7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

$599? The hell are you waiting for???
  8. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

9. mindwell

Not to keep flogging this, but I'm waiting on some Paypal to come in before I make a final decision, and I got a shot of the headstock and tuning keys. Definitely not the same as the Ebay cheapos! However, the interior construction doesn't have the bracing on sides and back as does my Englehardt, so it's a bit of a wash. Still, sounds at least as good as the Englehardt, and I've now got them down to $500.

[​IMG]
  10. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Not a Framus. I was wrong. Those machines are commonly used on low-dollar Chinese and Romanian basses.
  11. PaulCannon

PaulCannon

I can't even begin to understand what the point of the cutaway is. It's not as if stuffing your forearm into the rib is going to make thumb position any easier for you.

The technique won't any different, and your arm is still going to be slightly above where the edge would have been.
  12. mindwell

After having a night to sleep on it, that is my conclusion as well. The bass plays great and sounds great, but that cutaway isn't any help and may actually be a liability further down the line. So, the hunt goes on.
  13. mindwell

So, went back in the shop and played the bass again today. Liked it. And now they'll take $400. Seriously thinking about having this as a stopgap upright while I educate myself more and play more basses.
  14. BrettBelanger

BrettBelanger

15. mindwell

Did it: $400 + tax.

Took it to the local luthier, who said a double-take, and then said "I'm the one who originally sold this bass! You did well." Solid Chinese laminate body; no CCB here. It wears an upgraded bridge, German tailpiece, has one crack on the back that he himself patched. Wears newish Helicores and sounds much deeper and more balanced than my old Engelhardt. Arco isn't nasally! Board is ebonized white wood that's warping toward the end, and frankly, I'm leaning strongly toward forking over the $500 to have him replace it with ebony.

So, yeah. Pretty happy. My violinist wife isn't thrilled to give back that nice empty space in the living room, but she does think bass is pretty.
  16. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

ALWAYS important and worth hearing.
    Wifey talked me into keeping more than one bass with "that one is so pretty" remark.

Congrats on your finds(bass + previous owner)!
  17. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Excellent deal! And spousal approval IS very important. My wife suggested that I could get an upright at my 65th b'day party, so I started looking last Feb and finally fould the bass I wanted (and could afford) at the end of Nov. And we all think it looks beautiful here in the music room (yes, looks are important: it makes you appreciate the instrument and want to play it more).
  18. Big Bullfiddler

Big Bullfiddler

That is a cheap chinese bass.
  19. mindwell

Did you read the thread? Don't judge a book by its cover--or, in this case, its cutaway or parentage. I'll have another thread going up with some pics of the new ebony board and Full Circle I had installed. The bass had major potential that is now being realized.