Any IDEAL bass owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tmckenn2, Mar 26, 2014.

1. tmckenn2

tmckenn2 Supporting Member

Literally got this out of the garbage 15 years ago, then left in the attic. Just took it out, cleaned it up, brought it to a great tech to clean up the wiring, adjust the next, and set up....viola! Playing through a BA-110, this things plays and sounds like a dream! It's not my p-bass for sure, but it sounds pretty frigging good. And the short scale is fun. I know they made a bunch of these in 60's and 70's - would love to see any other Ideal's!

Attached Files:

2. GM60466

GM60466

I have a green burst that I purchased new in 1967. I still play every now and then

3. tmckenn2

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

Interesting.

[​IMG]

It looks like a Hofner clone, maybe even a re-branded Hofner. I did a cursory search around the interweb but found very little information on these, mostly other posts looking for more information. Google even found posts in this forum asking about Ideal basses. One poster seemed to think the vintage models were a little collectible and a nice one could be worth $1300.

What is the status of Ideal Music?

And this entry at ask.com:
    http://www.ask.com/answers/15536496...yone-know-value-or-anything-about-ideal-brand

It seems you've posted about this bass before: Ideal/Guyatone?

It seems there is no company website and may have gone out of business many years ago.

And that's my profound glimpse into the obvious for today. :smug:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmckenn2

Thanks Cliff - much appreciated. I did post when I first dug it out whether or not it was worth fixing - which I have discovered it was. Pretty sure it's a guyatone make -

7. cdef

cdef

8. tmckenn2

You are the Sherlock Holmes of Japanese basses...