Any info about Aria LOCO speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by GKon, Mar 20, 2014.

1. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Hi folks,

I recently bought this Aria Loco speaker cab for 80 Euro.

It has a 15" speaker, brown outer covering.
    The back plate reads "Loco Speaker System Model 0381B" in case you can't make it out in the pics.

It sounds good, no buzzing, clear and punchy. It has the original speaker in it, as indicated by the info on the back of the speaker itself (sorry, I didn't take a picture of it).

It looks like, at some point, it had a cloth cover over the speaker as protection, due to the 4 Velcro type attachment points in the front corners, that was replaced, at some point, with the round grill (just a guess).

Does anyone have any information on this model of speaker cabinet and if I got it at a good price? I ask out of curiosity.

Thanks

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. Fuzzbass666

Fuzzbass666

At one point I had a 2x8 combo version of this range. Nice little combo.

It had a molded spongey foam speaker cover (which looks like it's missing from yours) which in time completely deteriorated. Can't help you with this speaker though there's a bit of info floating around on the web if you google it but I think this would have been the extension cab in the range.... I think everything was a combo as opposed to head and speakers.
  3. GKon

Thanks for the info.

The guy that was selling it actually had 2 for sale, but I could only afford the one at the time. If I could find him I'd buy the 2nd :)

he also had a head for sale, but I can't say it was the one that originally came with this.
  4. teemuk

teemuk

Well, the LOCO and LOCO BOX were some of the numerous brands of Aria Music Inc. / Arai Co. (along with Arai, Aria, Aria Pro, Diamond and Arita)

LOCO was introduced in around mid 1970's and kept in production to early 1980's. The product range included amplifiers, matching cabinetry and effect pedals. It was always a very cheap brand of products: amps were largely low power solid-state practice amps with 6,5" or 8" speaker setups. Yes, there definitely was a grille cloth. In most LOCO amps I've seen it's been a rather transparent cloth.

Most of Aria stuff has been OEM so the company just bought products from dozens of OEM vendors in Asia and customizing the look has always been a pretty big part of that. Many LOCO products were, for example, manufactured by Tiger Electronics Mfg.

[​IMG]

I have never seen anything but combo -type LOCO amps but I do know the LOCO products included stuff like rack-mount effects and mixing desks too so I'm totally open for an idea that they may have been a head -style amp product or that they sold these as some sort of PA or extension speaker system.

$80 was probably an ok price if you feel it's a decent cab and worth the price. Heck, most loudspeakers alone are easily more expensive.
  5. teemuk

teemuk

6. GKon

Thanks for the information!

Thanks, too, for the site link. I had happened to have already seen it, but it was the only information I could find. Your input helps a lot.

Yes, I'm happy with it, especially with the price. It's old, but it gets the job done. (Sort of like me ;) )
  7. GKon

I just found this on the Blue Book of Guitar Amplifier Values website:
    https://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/Guitar_Amplifier_Values/Amplifier_Manufacturer.aspx?id=LOCO

LOCO
    Amplifiers previously produced in Japan during the late 1970s and early 1980s.
    Loco Amplifiers were produced in Japan and have appeared at least in a 1981 Loco catalog. These amps are budget/entry-level models known as the Micro Amp Series. Almost all model features basic functions and come in a variety of configurations. Known examples include the Model 4102, Model 2201, Model 4251, MX-60, MX-100, MX-100R, MXB-120 Bass, Model 6000B Bass, Model 6162B Bass, Model 3301B Bass, Model 4381B Bass, Model 0251 speaker cabinet, and Model 0381B bass speaker cabinet. Used prices range between $25 and $150 depending upon configuration and condition. Very little other information is known. Any further information on Loco can be submitted directly to Blue Book Publications.
  8. nashman

nashman

Hopefully you still have your cloth cover :p