1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any info on this Kalamazoo "SG" Bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angerbill, Dec 20, 2008.

1. angerbill

angerbill

The $50 Mystery Thread got me thinking... This bass was given to me in 1988 and I still have the pickguard and electronics somewhere. Anyone know if its worth much ?
    Serial No. 940584 on back of headstock and Kalamazoo u.s.a. on the front. Seems to be a student model that has been painted a couple times. photos attached, thanks !

Attached Files:

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

The cheapest things made in the Gibson factory. No idea about the worth, but my first bass was a Kalamazoo with the more "Fendery" body. One mudbucker in the middle and a neck that wouldn't stay straight for more than two days. But it was a gift from a buddy and it got me gigging.

jte

3. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

My guitarist bought two Kalamazoo guitars. He's been working on them to have cheap guitars that he can take to risky gigs. The action is ridiculously high, so he's lowered the bridge (yes it's extensive work). Now the neck's lack of levelness is coming out. I think he's putting too much into them just for the name of a Michigan town. They sound ok while they're in tune.

The bass? I assume that since they were 'entry-level' instruments that they all suffer from poor quality.

4. Kevinmach

Kevinmach

I read in an article that Geddy purchased one of his favorite Fenders at a pawn shop in Kalamazoo (can't remember which exact bass)- so maybe you've found a similar gem, lol.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. angerbill

angerbill

Ha Ha ... doubt it but the action isn't bad. Body is sawdust board. maybe I'll replace these 20yo strings and see what i can do with it. Thanks for the replies ...

7. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

if you have the original pickup, it's probably the same high-output "mudbucker" used in the original 1960's gibsons and epiphones (i.e., not a crappy look-alike as in the 1990s reissues)... The pickup alone is worth something to someone who would want to upgrade a recent reissue.... Or if your bass itself is in decent enough shape to be made playable, you could have a wonderful thump machine right there...