1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any interest left in the Smashing Pumpkins?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 1, 2014.

?

Any interest left in the Smashing Pumpkins?

This poll will close on May 6, 2032 at 2:06 PM.
  1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    61.4%
  3. Smashing Carrots

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

I am curious to see if the crowd here has any interest in the continued work of the reformed Smashing Pumpkins? I greatly enjoyed a number of songs of their last 2 albums in 2007 and 2012 as well as the 2008 EP. Supposedly they are working on a new album this year.
  2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Never had any in the first place.
    Very boring music (to me, my opinion).
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nope, as much as I love 90's Smashing Pumpkins I got soured on Billy Corgan after the whole Zwan thing. The guy seems like a **** to his bandmates plus I did not care for the 2007 album, didn't even know about the 2012 album.
  4. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

I liked the early stuff. I said forget it when he turned into Uncle Fester.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

The latest album is great love the Pumpkins.
  6. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

+1
  7. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

My (cover) band plays Zero, and we may add Cherub Rock to the set list at some point. Gish came out when I was in college, and I really liked them then. I haven't really followed SP for years, but if I hear something I like, I won't turn it off.
  8. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B

I thought they were ok until I saw them in comcert years ago at Lolapalooza, one of the worst performances I have ever seen. Lost interest in them after that...
  9. edbass

edbass

I like Nicole Fiorentino's (maybe actually Billy Corgan's?)
    tone and bass lines, and IMO she's an excellent player.
    To me it's easy to see why she got the gig, she seems to fit the gig quite well.

An associate of mine sent these '12 tour live gig pics from stage right. From that vantage point, as is not at all uncommon with endorsements, she has "one brand showin' and another brand go-in'"; in this case Mesa facing the crowd and Reeves actually doing the heavy lifting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I think they are a better studio band than a live performance band much like Led Zepplin or Steely Dan. I love the older stuff, and the "B" sides of the "Rotton Apples" CD is really good, however my interest in them has slowly been disintegrating, but I'll give the new one a listen.
  11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Never had any interest in them.
  12. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I was a big SP fan in the late 90s and up until about 2001. I went to see their "last shows" in chicago (first time id ever been anywhere outside canada). I was very active on an SP messageboard, stuff like that. Then shortly after that i moved on to other things.

They were really important at one point in my life and then all of a sudden i couldn't stand them anymore. i mean even the records i used to like. About two years ago, after not giving their records a spin for like ten years, I did and came to admit some of these songs were good, but by and large i don't like them anymore. Weird how when younger you can be really into somrthing and then later on it means next to nothing to you.

I find most of his career Corgan was an absolute twat and rather pathetic. Recently i watched interviews with him on youtube though and a lot of what he was saying was exactly how i thought about music. But for curiosity's sake a few months back i gave a spin to all their records since 2001, I thought Zeitgeist was embarassingly terrible, and the last one which got good reviews, is just not my cup of tea at all. To be fair, i always prefered their pop leanings to their heavy guitar more classic rock inspired ones. I started listening to them around Mellon Collie (even if i remember siamese dream well and liked some songs when it was released) and liked them more every record until they first broke up.

Anyway, to answer the question, no, not from me.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Nope, not really. Mellon Collie was the last album that did anything for me.There are a lot of really good songs on it.
  14. kedo

kedo

Billy Corgan is a whiny, self-absorbed douche-tard.

No. I have no interest in SP.
  15. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

:eek:

Actually, it sounds like you do.

:D
  16. WJGreer

WJGreer

Siamese Dream is one of my favorite albums of all time. It's burned into my soul.

I've tried to like other Pumpkins music, and while there's nothing I don't like, there's nothing else that I've loved.

It must be the production. At the time I didn't realize that most of the albums I loved in the 90s were produced by either Butch Vig, Brendan O' Brien, or Rick Rubin.

No doubt Billy Corgan would punch me in the face if he read this - but if he were to decide to do another record with Butch Vig, I would be highly interested. To my ears, Vig gave Corgan's concept just the right amount of shiny production, and the guitar wall on Siamese Dream was killer indeed.
  17. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I wasn't into them when they were popular in the 90s. Didn't even know they were still around.
  18. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Nope. My Corgan Tolerance was used up after Siamese Dream.
  19. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

That's my fave too - the whole thing is excellence.
  20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Actually there has been talk of them teaming up again. I hope it comes to fruition for their next album. :bassist: