1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any J-Retro Squier Jazz fit Probs?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by caesarbass, Sep 19, 2007.

1. caesarbass

caesarbass

Hey guys,
    I am getting a J-Retro 01 pre for my Vintage Modified J-Bass and I was wondering if there were any problems with installing the pre, mainly the depth required in the control cavity for the pre and battery to fit...I am aware of a little routing I'll need to do for the switches but am really concerned about the depth...Thanks in advance for the info!!! :D
    [​IMG]

2. caesarbass

caesarbass

I e-mailed John this:

" Hi John,

I am about to purchase one of your pre’s, the J-retro 01, for my 4 string Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. I was wondering if you had heard of any problems with the fit of your pre and this particular bass. I made sure that a battery will fit in the cavity, but am concerned with the battery fitting with the new pre installed.

Thanks,

Steve Araujo

P.S. I converted your suggested 32.5 mm depth to inches and it converted to 1.27 inches, I guess a little over 1 ¼ of an inch…is this correct?"

And I just got this e-mail from John:

"Hi Steve

The first Retro mag review was done with a preamp fitted to that type of bass and dropped straight in.

With the battery fitting OK and your depth measurement, I can't see any problems from where I am.

BTW, does your bass have a thin metal ground plate in the bottom of the control cavity?

Our bass did have. If yours does, it can be removed if that helps on the depth front. It helps screen the stock passive controls, but not vital for the Retro. But we didn't need to remove it anyway, and grounded it to the jack via the black wire on the Retro. The bridge ground wire was soldered to it too and we left that as it was.

Come back to me if you need furher help.

Cheers

John"

That's great customer service!!!!

3. caesarbass

caesarbass

The J-Retro kicks some serious ASS!!!
    [​IMG]

4. Enfield Jake

Enfield Jake

So nearly a month later.... What's your experience with this combination? I was wanting to upgrade my Squier the same way and add a Badass bridge as well. Maybe a little review is in order...
    Jake

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassandBass

BassandBass

Hey I've got the same bass and I'm thinking of buying the same preamp (and I was also considering the new bridge too xD)

Any feedback?

I'm especially worried about being able to install it myself.
    Also wanted to know, the battery isn't consumed at all when you switch to passive mode, right?

7. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Tho the J-Retro would've been my first choice hands-down, I went with the Audere JZ3-VB-3B in my SX LTD 75 Jazz Bass body/Squire VM neck Bass. Got the Audere new/used, never installed for $100.00. It was a little tight, but I didn't want to route. It did fit, and for the money, I'm getting a tight 70's Bass tone!

Attached Files:

8. BassandBass

BassandBass

But it has no active/passive switch right?

That was the main feature that interested me (obviously I don't mind all the knobs :p)

9. kucor

kucor

I had it in my ex CV 60s jazz and it is best pre I've ever had. little tight but fits 100%. there is no much work to do, especially with newer version w/screw terminals

I sold the bass, but kept the preamp :)

[​IMG]

10. BassandBass

BassandBass

Thanks for the info!
    And that CV looked sweet btw :p

So it's looking like I should be able to have it delivered to me and build it myself even if I have no knowledge what-so-ever of electronics, bass manufacturing, etc...

11. jtapp2556

jtapp2556

I installed mine myself all black/ground wires get connected to the black wire on the j retro. If you have stock pickups one of wires has a bare wire wrapped with it I'm pretty sure that was the cold wire. Twist it together and just screw down the screws on the terminals. The other wire (hot) you do the same screw them to the hot terminals and that's it. Terminals are marked. Connect the battery and screw the plate back on. Tight fit but it sounds good.