Any Love for the LaBella Jamersons?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Willicious, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Swapped them onto my P about a month ago. They replaced a set of 18 month old LaBella 760FMs, which had a loud, zingy G and a dead-as-a-doornail E.

As I was installing them, I was a little freaked out by their tension, but once I got them settled into place, I couldn't believe how loud they were acoustically. The neck and body of my bass came alive with vibration -- something that never happened with the previous LaBellas, or the TIJFs that I used to run. Needless to say, they sound great amplified.

Another nice benefit: the higher tension allowed me to dial in much lower action, so they're comfortable enough that I really don't notice the tension.

Up next, I've also got a set of heavy gauge Chromes and Sadowsky Black Label Flats to try at some point, so I'll be interested to see if either of those best the Jamersons.

So, any other TBers out there loving their Jamersons? Hate them?

Will
  2. brandau

brandau Supporting Member

I've been really digging them on my 65 P for the past week. Similarly I noticed an increase in volume. They're very "full" sounding. They also have that nice hollow/woody tone some flatwounds get. I had a recording session the day after I put them on, and the band and engineer all commented on how rich the bass tone was. They're definitely high tension, but I actually dig it. I'd recommend them to anyone who's into flatwounds. Most likely they're the sound you have in your head when you think about flatwounds. Between Jamerson and Duck Dunn they're probably some of the most recorded strings
  3. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Great strings! Highly recommended...had them on my Nash P for 7 years...got a great Motown sound with a string mute. The thicker gauge makes me play a certain way...a good way less notes with a lighter touch...good for the blues gig;-)
  4. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I loved their tone but couldn't hang with the large gauge. I gave them about 2 months but my weak lily white hands couldn't take it...ended up going with the 760FL flats.

Flatwound Strings Review
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

I've used them on a 78 P for years and agree with all thats been said. However, I've recently put Roto 66's on that bass due to a change in the style of music with my new band; lack of sustain being the issue. Horses for courses!
  7. donn

donn

I use 34" 760M's on a 32" scale Gretsch hollow body that needs a couple extra inches for the tailpiece. That (I think) puts them at a lighter tension. Anyway, they aren't any trouble and sound great. I'd love to try the 760FS set, though - I've played them on someone else's bass, and sure didn't notice any zingy G. Interesting to hear that about the 760FM, not many reports come through on that particular gauge.
  8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I've gone to much lighter gauges, but I did notice that with the Jamersons, you can ratchet down the action and straighten the neck quite a bit, and this offsets the stiffness a bit.

They still take a little more work to play, but the sound is very very rewarding if that's what you're looking for. Tremendous "heft" to the sound.
  9. stratovani

stratovani

Any worries about what such a heavy gauge string will do to the truss rod? Will the Jamersons work on a Squier Affinity P-Bass? I've wanted to try them on my bass, but the tension has always worried me as far as the truss rod goes. I've got the 760FS strings on my P-Bass now, and they sound and feel great, but the Jamersons have always intrigued me.
  10. brandau

brandau Supporting Member

Nah... Only had to adjust my trussrod about a quarter turn. But the neck on my bass could easily double as a baseball bat, and the wood is old and stable.
  11. Willicious

Very interesting to hear everyone's comments, thanks for your replies.
    These do seem to be a different breed of flat altogether from other brands I've tried. I vaguely recall reading a post in another LaBella thread where someone mentioned that these 760Ms are even constructed differently than the rest of LaBella's flats. Kind of a stand-alone within their line. Hmmm... Gonna have to go searching for that thread now...
  12. Root 5

Root 5

I've wondered this, too. I don't have too much concern with the trussrod. But I do wonder about the wood used for Squier necks - I don't imagine they're properly seasoned.
  13. LowG

LowG

I have them on my SX p/j. Absolutely love the feel and tone. But they are murdering the neck. Good thing I don't mind high action. I really want to try them on a neck that can take it...
  14. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    I love all about it. The sound, the action - I can make it very low action, all. Perfect for recording, make me proud when perform with. Perhaps 'not the strings for anyone' tho..
    After many years tried various strings, I start to use it couple years ago, was skeptic at first, but now I don't look back.
  15. Willicious

LowG, I hear you. I don't think I'd run these strings on a skinny Jazz neck. My P neck seems to do fine with them, though it's a 1.75" nut, and about as thick front to back as possible.
    Bluesdog, I have also managed to dial in a nice, low action with these strings, and I'm surprised at how quickly I've gotten used to the tension.
    I've had these on my P for about three months now, and I can't believe how strong/present they are acoustically. They're just LOUD strings, and I love it.
  16. morebass!

morebass! Supporting Member

Have a set that I've tried on several basses. My only complaint is that the G string is much brighter than the others. It should have settled down by now but hasn't. And while I don't play the G string as often as the others, I haven't had this problem with other sets. Not sure if that's typical or not as this is the only set of Jamersons I've owned. Otherwise I like the heavy feel and tone for many things. Can be tough to cut through live with in some settings but you probably knew that.
  17. Willicious

I've noticed the same thing with my set, morebass.
    Wondering what my options might be for taming that sucker, as it is just a tad zingy.
    Will probably work with pickup height first... Have you tried pickup height?
  18. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, actually the legendary Joe Osborn used this same kind of strings in his legendary Jazz Bass for years with only problem is too many top hit songs with it LOL. I also have some friend who put it on their jazz bass without problem for years now.

------------------------------------------
    #I don't experience 'G Problem' like you at all on all of my basses that use LaBella Jamerson. Maybe you should check the setup, esp the pickup height etc.
    Just remember that your G string now is 0.52. Much bigger than other string so it sits differently in it's relation to the pickup magnet than other string used to be, and etc.
    One thing I learn from using this strings after replaced other kind of strings on the same bass is the setup need to be done very carefully, because it's like a very different animal for the bass.

#The term "Cut through" became blurry for me these days, so I chose not to use that term again. But if you mean by that is that now you hear less of your bass than it used to be, I'm sure that it's just because of your different perceive of different tonality/frequencies character of this strings compared to what you used to. This strings not 'zing' in the higher frequency like others, but they sure 'a bandit' in low and middle low frequency, and have 'different' than other strings appearance in the mid and hi-mid.
    I don't have all of that problem, live and recording.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  19. morebass!

morebass! Supporting Member

I haven't messed with the string height. bluesdog makes a good point that with the larger diameters the Jamersons may require a different set-up. It didn't occur to me because the D, A, and E are all larger diameter so I'd think that the effect would be even across the set. It's definitely worth a try though.
    bluesdogblues likes this.
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have them on one of my P's it's my favorite P and I think the tension is too much for the neck I love the sound though.
  21. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Yea,..the sound is great for me too, never found it in other strings. Tension is high, but not too much for me, (maybe because) I'm familiar with it now.