any marshall vintage guvnor users? settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by solitario, Feb 20, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

hi, I bought this pedal because I found it for 70 usd while it usually is arround 200 usd. I was trying to emulate the sound of a plexi or a jcm800 to play some sabbath, purpple or motorhead songs. I have found that this pedal sucks a lot of low end. The only setting that sounds good to me its little overdrive but again I miss low end even cracking up bass in the pedal.

I have also try to use it with a boss geb7 eq pedal so I can add bass freq but then it sounds very similar to a boss odb3 overdrive.

Im sure there are some good settings for it but with just 4 knobs there should be easier to find and they are not.

what setting do use with your vintage guvnor? do you use it as a light overdrive? distorsion?

Thank you

2. MADChuudoku

MADChuudoku

i used to have the bass knob cranked on mine, with a med-fair amount of gain, for a nice crunchy dist.

i got rid of it in the end as i found other pedals to give me a better sound with more bass.

i'd say if you're wanting to play sabbath, motorhead kinda stuff then you'd want to find something smoother and less crunchy than the guvnor

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Perhaps mxr bass fuzz deluxe? I'm gassin for one.

4. taurus1

taurus1

I like the newer and extremely ugly Guv'norII Plus better, it has way more bottom end and better eq.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

After about 3 practices with one I seem to be getting buried with it. With the blend it retains low end so well that I'm cutting through clean fine, but the fuzz part is hard to hear. We're playing very very loud though. I still need to play with it.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I got mine because the only nice sound I could get out of my BBM was way too loud compared to the bypassed tone. Now I have the opposite problem.

What I have noticed is that the fuzz volume is fine if the tone control is set near either end of it's sweep. But it appears to lose volume if the tone control is anywhere between about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

PS. To the OP. I too found an old Guv'nor for a bargain price and snapped it up. The only way I could get a decent sound out of it was to blend it with a clean signal. But even then, set with the amount of gain I desired it always created feedback at gig volume. I found that using a tubescreamer type pedal gave me the distortion tone I wanted.