Any mini pedal for that that tone ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adrisss, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Adrisss

Adrisss

Hello everyone !

One of the best punchy and growly bass tone that I've heard is the one used by John Calabrese (Danko Jones) in the song called "Time heals nothing".

Here is a link :

It seems like he got that tone from the EBS Valvedrive with a clean blend.

Now here's my challenge, I'd like to downsize my PT junior to a PT mini and possibly try to reach something close to that sound when turning my dirt on.

I actually got my dirt from a Boss ODB-3, that provides a very modern OD that don't fit my needs. Have an MXR M80 on the way, but I'm gonna use it as a preamp more than a dirt. And the last is a WM clone.

I'd really prefer getting that from mini pedals but it's hard to find sound samples for bass.

So far it looks like SFX is on top, but once again I can't seem to find which pedal to choose.

So do you guys have any advice ?

Thanks !
  2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Maybe a Microtubes B3K by Darkglass Electronics?
  3. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

That almost sounds like a Brassmaster-type fuzz to me. Just to my ears anyway.
  4. Adrisss

Adrisss

I thought of the B3K but couldn't find sound samples of it providing these kind of tones. Yet it's amazing though !

A fuzz with a clean blend sounds good to me. I'll check what I can find in a small enclosure.
  5. the low one

the low one

Give the MXR M80 a chance when it arrives. You might find it does what you need.
  6. Arthur Strand

Arthur Strand

Bass pedals are ultra expensive. For bass players seeking Tones to try to copy, they can be found on many keyboards. I have a couple of dozen on my Casio keyboards - O.K. for recording but impossible for live work. Until a manufacturer arrives on the scene with an economy range of foot pedals, bass-men will have a limited choice. I have asked Danelectro and supplied them with a load of ideas for a range of bass effects pedals.
  7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Sounds like black cat bass octave fuzz. And +1 to brassmaster styled fuzz. Definitely there is a clean blend there.
  8. Adrisss

Adrisss

The M80 DI + arrived today, can't wait to try it !

The Boss also had a blend possibility but I don't find it effective enough. Yet I'm sure that in a metal/hardcore context it would be a good piece.

The assmaster looks really good from what I've heard on YT, but it's quite big. I liked the oxide also cause of it's versatility. It could possibly replace my WM for the gated side, and go for the Brass master style on the other side, and still get the clean blend.

Plus and I have an IE Polytope on my board that got me convinced of IE's gear quality.

Before taking any decision, I'll try to find if a Brass master style fuzz exists in a smaller enclosure.

If I could end my dirt quest with 2 pedals, it would be awesome though. Something like M80 + B:Assmaster or even B3K + IE Oxide.

Thanks for the advices ! Wouldn't have put my eye over the assmaster without your help !
  9. Adrisss

Adrisss

Just put my eyes other the small sound big sound TAFM, do you guys think it could get some similar tones to the IE oxide our Malekko B:Assmaster ?

Looks like it's now with 2 footswitches, and one is dedicated to the gate, so it may be much easyer to switch between gate <> brassmaster without tweeking knobs.
  10. karter2000

karter2000 Supporting Member

I've tried a friend's IE Oxide, and thought it was pretty awesome. Very versatile, as you can get everything from synth, gated fuzz (like the WM) to Brassmaster-like tones. I think you could even cop the tone in the vid with the Oxide, if memory serves me correctly.
  11. jaxom

jaxom

12. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Huh. Valve Drive and a Microbass. Good stuff.
  13. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I had the Oxide and now have the Team Awesome FuzzMachine. I think either would work convincingly, but the Team Awesome would be better in my opinion. The Oxide is much smoother sounding generally than what I hear in that clip, where the FuzzMachine has more of that punchy edge to it. However, used in tandem with a good overdrive either of them would probably work great.