1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any mountain bikers??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamdenialNJ, Sep 4, 2011.

1. iamdenialNJ

iamdenialNJ Supporting Member

Any mountain bikers here in talkbass land? If you are, post your bike, specs, how long your average ride is, pics, and any cool trails you been on and anything else you want to share.

As for me, I have been riding a stock hardtail trek 6000 bike for about 8 months now. Currently, I am riding about 20 miles in all mountain type terrain. Some of my favorite trails have been in the Mt. Baldy foothills in southern california. Marshall canyon and etiwanda preserve are awesome!!

[​IMG]
    MakiSupaStar likes this.
  2. ubado

ubado

Looks like I should be getting a Kona hardtail in a few days. Been out of the sport for a while ... looking to get back into it. Can't wait to shread again. :)
  3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

I just got my old mountain bike up and running again about a month ago. It was an old Mongoose that is about 10 years old. Back when it was purchased new, it was maybe $400.00 to $500.00. The store that fixed it for me had some really nice mountain bikes there but man were they expensive. I did see a nice GT that was around $500.00 but that was for a simple entry level bike. But even it as an entry level bike blew my 10 year old Mongoose away.
  4. Otter

Otter

5. chaseman

chaseman

Don't have a picture of mine yet, but I have an Atomlab frame with custom parts (e.g. Fox Vanilla forks, Hope brake). I ride jumps and trails, like Forest of Dean (might not mean anything if you don't live in the UK).
  6. Strohsx

Strohsx

We have an official biking thread don;t we?

Anywho currently on the look out for a craigslist junker.
  7. bassteban

bassteban

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/b...in-rear-derailleur-bad-bike-pun-there-782858/
    ^There's a little bit of everything in there.^
    I am 99% MTB. Started when I got too big for BMX- 80-81, still in HS. Raced a few early grassroots events- 83 Whiskeytown, 84 Repack, several Santa Rosa Rockhoppers. My current stable: 47 Schwinn, 83 Lawwill-Knight Pro Cruiser, 91 Retrotec, 05 Gemini 900 & 09 Enduro SL. Now I really need to upload some new pictures...
  8. iamdenialNJ

chaseman...I just checked out someforest of dean videos andthat place looks like a lot of fun!! What kind of bike you riding there?

Otter...nice bike!!!!! What kind of terrain you riding?

bassteban...that would be awesome if you could post some pics of the races and your bikes.

I am currently saving up for a 29er and still unsure if I want a hardtail or full suspension. First, I need to keep on biking more so I can justify a $1000+ bike purchase. I did not know there was a biking thread but anyways....Keep on ridin!!!
  9. Otter

Otter

iamdenialNJ,

I live in Southern Oregon, the riding is amazing. Everything from complex multi use single track trail systems, endless fire roads to well maintained public green-ways.

To be more specific, I'm in the Rogue Valley. Go a mile in any direction and you are REALLY climbing. Right now the weather is proving some of the best riding conditions, it's bone dry, mostly in the 80's and trails are very "fast"...

The bike is great but the drive train is worn completely out. The chain has not started slipping under torque yet, but it will soon. I will probably have to replace the chain rings/chain/rear cog set next season.

I am kicking around the idea to just buy another bike with the parts I want, strip them for my Litespeed and sell the frame/form to recoup some expense. It's actually cheaper than buying replacement parts!

Otter.
  10. elgecko

elgecko

I don't ride as much as I used to but here's my Trail Smurf. I'm fairly local. Some of my more frequent haunts are Chino Hills, Fullerton Loop, and the Wally Loop but I also like the San Gabriel stuff like Monroe Truck Trail, Silver Mocassin Trail, Strawberry Peak...El Moro is always fun. There's so much good local riding!

Do you ride at 7th Avenue/Beverly?

[​IMG]
    MakiSupaStar likes this.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

I just recently decided to lose weight, and pulled out my old 1997 Trek 6000.

Most of the bike paths around me in central Ohio are paved or a mix of pavement and hard-pack small gravel, so I replaced the old knobby tires with some semi-slick Serfas tires, put on a stem extension so I can sit a bit higher, and got a wider gel-padded seat.

I'm using an Android phone program called B-iCycle that tracks and maps my trails thru my cell phone's GPS and keeps track of calories burned, elevation, max speed, avg speed, mileage, etc. It has really helped and along with dieting and riding for about an hour daily I've dropped over 20 pounds in the last month.

Attached Files:

12. tplyons

tplyons

I'm a new road cyclist as of February, and in April, I decided to pick up a new 2011 Trek 3700 Disc to mix it up a bit. Don't get to ride as much as I do the road bike, but definitely looking to hit a few trails once I do my 150 mile charity ride in three weeks. Until then, it's 100% dedicated to road.
  13. chaseman

chaseman

I ride the XC trails on my Atomlab hardtail with 100mm forks, which is pretty much ideal for an uphill/downhill compromise. The DH trails are really sketchy and incredibly bumpy on my hardtail (I use 24" wheels) but they're still a lot of fun.
  14. Timmah

Timmah

I live in ct, so most places around here stink as far as mtb, but I'm fortunate enough to be surroundedby state forest. Currently riding a trek/Gary fisher marlin 29er. I'll post pics soon if I remember.
  15. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

I'm riding a stock '09 Cannondale F7 non-disc 26" medium frame. Like eric, I ride around the local metro park in my suburb of columbus. Wish we had some off-trail riding around here, but everything is mostly flat and paved. I'm a bit out of shape, so my rides are limited to about 5-7 mi.
  16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    Im rolling on my older ('04 I think) Specialized Rockhopper. Its a tank of a bike, takes it all like a champ. Looking into a Spec 29er this spring.
  17. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

I have been riding since 1982. Got a Centurion Pro Tour 15 and was hooked. Then in 1984, I got one of the first Mt Bikes, a Schwinn High Sierra (smoked chrome) no suspension front or back. Kept that until 2004 when I got a Blur. That was stolen while I was at a gig and this is the replacement. It's what I ride now. I ride in the Berekely Hills, Briones and Shell Ridge. usually 10 to 15 miles. That's my current touring bike in the background. The Blue one is my screwing around bike.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Love Riding!
  18. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I gots a GIANT rincon. My current mileage is 0 miles do to a broken foot last year that took me out for 6 months and I have yet to get back into it. Looking for some good trails to hit before the rainy season here in Oregon starts!

[​IMG]

Used to ride BMX, but I realized that riding a 20-inch bike when I'm 6'3" is just stupid and the sport costs way too much in injuries and bike parts.
  19. iamdenialNJ

Very nice guys! It makes me glad to see talkbasser's riding.

Otter...Very nice man, you should post some pics of your rides. Oregon sounds like a perfect place to go biking. Green, green GREEN!!!!

elgecko...Yes, chino hills is my riding spot as I live about 1 mile away from the soquel canyon entrance. My usual ride is staring from that entrance and going to carbon canyon and back via the telegraph trail. It's a fun yet challenging ride especially on the ride back!!! I have not been to any of the other places you mentioned. Hit me up and let's ride one of these days!!!

chaseman...I would like to try out a 24" out in mountain terrain one day. It sounds like fun!

datsgor...nice rides!!! Loving the yellow bike you got there. Is that a 29er?

Stilettoprefer....Nice ride! Yeah, I am a tall dude at 6´4" and looking to upgrade to a bike that fits me since the bike I am riding right now is actually my brothers but he does not use it.
  20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Speckalized Sj120 from a few years back. Love it. It's the sweetest handling mtb I've ridden. Full susp, travel adjustable fork for what goes up, must come down :D. 7 position rear shock though I generally have it near to locked out unless I'm in over my head...Easy to do in these parts.

I'm spending a lot more time on the road umtil the rain starts, then I'll go back to fire roads under the trees and the veggie tunnel rides.