1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any new's on "bass of doom"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stuntbass77, Mar 12, 2014.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

All these threads on the net about Robert Trujillo rescuing the bass of doom. From what I read it sounds like he purchased it and that's about it. The fact that he played it at a Metallica show is unthinkable to me. And this talk of him selling it to the family for the same amount he purchased it for it crap ( please feel free to inform me if I am wrong on all of this). Felix was able to record with the bass on some yellowjackets tracks, must have been hard to give it back. I feel for Felix as well as the family. The fact that Robert Trujillo did not from the start work with a lawyer to transfer ownership to the family is sad. He could have been a hero! I wonder how many hands played it before Felix had the chance. I don't curse much, but I could really unload thinking about this. I hope what I read was wrong. Playing the bass at a Metallica show and risking any more damage or theft is a testament to how much he values the history of it. Ok, here comes the backlash! Chime in......

king_biscuit likes this.
  2. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

It's bass... it needs to be played.

AdamR, Fat Steve, TolerancEJ and 5 others like this.
  3. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Yes, and something's belong in a museum. I however respect your opinion.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I dunno, the bass players at the show, if they were aware of the origin of the bass, were certainly in for a treat that the rest of us didn't get.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. conqr

conqr

From my memory of the story, Rob has been VERY respectful of the history, the family and the bass itself. He keeps it at some secure Metallica vault or whatever, among other very valuable pieces. And I think it's available to the family upon request.

I see no problem with that, it's safe with him imho. And the thing had been fully restored/refinished so it's not even the same anyway.

TolerancEJ and codycon96 like this.
  7. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    It is hard to fathom someone being harder on that bass then Jaco himself. It has been rebuilt countless times and my guess is that Robert Trujillo treats that bass with the utmost love and respect.

So whats your point, Robert should give the bass to the Pastorious Family? OK, you can make a case. On the other hand Robert bought the bass because Jaco left on a park bench somewhere, walked away from it before his death and someone found it.

It would be nice, warm and fuzzy if it goes back to the Pastorius Family or the Smithsonian, but he should recoup what he paid for. That seems fair to me. Trujillo has done nothing dishonest or wrong in my opinion. My guess is that Felix could borrow that bass for a recording anytime he wants or buy it back.

TolerancEJ, Munjibunga and StayLow like this.
  8. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

+1.

codycon96 likes this.
  9. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Yes, in a way you are right. The comment about him leaving it on a bench, clearly you don't know about mental illness so I guess I'll just let it be. My point, the same as many others. It should be with the family. For just a minute stop and think about your father and if it was your family. Really him playing it out is just not cool.

10. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    Anybody that knows anything about Jaco is aware of his mental illness. That is not anyone's doing and it is sad. We disagree about Robert having that bass as uncool. Robert is way cool and he has done nothing wrong here.

At the end of the day, its just a bass. It should be played. Jaco was the awesome part of the story and put any bass in his hands, it will be "a bass of doom."

RIP Jaco, "the best bass player in world", we're still talking about you, all these years later.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  11. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I understand that the importance of the bass is subjective. I think it being restored/fixed does not diminish the importance of this bass. Jaco is not my bass hero, believe it or not it's billy Sheehan. He was the first to inspire me. I have been trying to follow the story and just feel that money is not the reason the family doesn't have it. If he left it in a bench and someone didn't turn it in, well I feel the new owner purchased it for someone who really didn't own it. I think Robert is in the clear about paying for it and loved jaco. I think he will in the end transfer ownership (money or not). He's is a good guy, and I hope he does the right thing. Ok, I sure I'm still an @$$ for saying so but don't care.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Do you think string musicians should stop playing Guarnerii and Stradivarii so they could reside in musems?

They have a lot more economical and historical value than the glued back pieces of a Fender bass.
    So what? Ultimately, instruments are tools. They are meant to be played.

As for the family ownership, did it come to you that maybe the family didn't care that much about it or didn't want to invest that much money into it?
    I prefer it to be in the hand of a great bass player, respectful of the instrument.

rondodunbar, codycon96 and StayLow like this.
  13. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

We know more about mental illness now. If he was off his med's when he lost the bass I think his family should be awarded the bass. Take what you feel about Robert out of the equation. If he had Down syndrome would it be different? I just feel bad for jaco and can only imagine what his opinion would be. I point is one of morals not law. It's ok to disagree with me :)

14. Jazz Ad

Define morals? What's the basis for it?

15. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

If he offered to sell it to the family for what he paid, you can't really ask any more of him.

16. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

As a society we place way to much importance on things instead of people, and the moment.

That bass, and more importantly that player gave many of us pleasure and more.

That still exists for all of us.

The bass was simply a tool to deliver the message. It was not the message itself.

17. Jazz Ad

Yes, object take too much room in our lives. That and the obsession of preservation.
    We are getting more attached to what has been done than what needs to be.
    Something a famous fictional character stated was the sign of a dying civilization, putting more into your parents' grave than into your kids' school.

18. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

His losing the bass due to mental illness. And yes it's just wood and strings. I guess if it was your family you would be ok with it. If you ever have a bass stolen or miss placed remember this tread.

19. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I have had a bass stolen. I have had an SVT stolen.

I moved on.

I still play.

20. russpurdy

russpurdy

From the last interview I read with Felix Pastorious he sure didn't seem to mind that Robert had the bass and part of the legal purchase contract involved the family having full access to it.

What we are all speculating on is really none of our business but I would imagine that the "bass of doom" is more sacred to nerdy bass players like us than it is to the family. It is the physical embodiment of only one aspect of a human being. In reading interviews with Jaco's daughter she, very importantly, notes that Jaco was much more than just a bass player.

Aaaaaaaannnyways.....

Have you seen the pictures of that bass before it was rebuilt? There is no way it's truly the same bass it once was. The thing was literally put together from pieces, given a new top, and refinished. It's made to be played so get it out there.

Marty Stuart still tours with one of Hank Williams Sr's acoustic guitar. Same deal. His quote (which I love) is "But for the grace of God I would be a tree in the forest"

21. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I know that many people feel the way I do. Not everyone that feels the way I do and reads this thread will chime in. Most people are uncomfortable with conversations where there is disagreement. On other sites I have read of people being over the top about this. I'm just discussing a feeling, not brewing in anger:)