Any of you refuse to let others use your gear?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jim C, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Played a benefit tonight and my former friend in the other band offered me the use of his 100 watt Ampeg BA115. I told him that wouldn't offer enough headroom and he was welcome to use my SM400 and 2x12 cabinet. I mention to keep the 40 Hz cut, careful with the bass as well as volume.

First band was fine.
    Second band creates a 40 minute delay.
    From the first note he was playing much louder than his amp was ever capable of.
    When my band got up the EQ was all jacked around and the volume was up high; we were both playing stock P basses.

From the first note I knew there was a problem. Now I have at least one buzzing speaker. With a HPF filter or different amp this may not have happened although we did have a discussion beforehand.
    I have used this amp for 30 years and have never hurt a speaker nor has anyone else who has used this rig even with TL606 cabinet.

So, with a 2:30 load in, getting a shortened set as the bar had other obligations, I will pay between $100 - 200 in recones.

I think I'm done with letting others use my gear.
    Any suggestions?

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I kindly refuse unless its someone I know and trust to be respectful of gear in general...and all of those people bring their own gear anyway.

rtav likes this.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I don't think you need any suggestions. You already know that you've gotta do what you've gotta do. :eyebrow:

I just don't see any way around it. There are so many inexperienced and/or reckless and/or clueless players around that, unless you exercise strict control over who uses your rig and under what conditions, it's only a matter of time before your rig will sustain damage as a result. It's not a question of if - it's only a question of when.

If there are rig owners who are comfortable taking that risk, so as to avoid being thought of as "not cool", then well and fine. More power to 'em. But I'm not one of them.

There are always exceptions I suppose, i.e. lending to a good friend whose judgment you can trust, etc. But by and large, it's just far better to avoid the exposure altogether.

MM

Winoman likes this.
  4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Very few people play my gear. People I know and trust and who will handel my gear with respect. They also know if they break it they buy it.

rtav likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gpschmidt

gpschmidt

I've never had anything but bad experiences over the years loaning things out. I refuse to do it anymore. Horror stories one and all. Missing gear, beat up Rickenbacker bass I nearly cried over, broken knobs. Just isn't worth it. I have a guitar player friend who thinks I'm an ass for not loaning him things. But, he's the type that takes and never brings back until you beg for it. Somehow he thinks if you're not using it, then it's his to hang onto.

Anyway, my blood pressure is rising so I need to get off topic. But, in a word, if someone needs a piece of gear, then buy it like I did.

No one treats anything with respect that they themselves don't have to work for to get. That's a fact.

7. walkerci

walkerci

Since I underpower my cabs, I don't worry too much.
    I only loan my gear to local musicians that I have known for a long time and know where they live. So far, no problems. Say what you will about Florida. Some of the most talented and most decent people I have ever met live here. Killer players!

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I've let people use my gear before. Usually it's people I know in bands I know.

I let a guy use my bass for his set because he had never played flats before. He did a 45 minute set with my bass and it magically was returned to me unharmed. In December, I let two other bands run through my bass rig. Again, no problems. Some people are real drama queens when it comes to letting other people use their gear. I've been in situations where I needed a helping hand and got one, so I don't mind returning the favor.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    The superb reggae band, Christafari used my fEARful 15/6/1 + 15sub and Mesa M9 amp last weekend here in Denton, TX. They had a fine pro sound engineer, good PA, in-ears, and a great bassist (Avion Blackman). No problems.

10. blowinblue

blowinblue official non-user of Fender and Ampeg Supporting Member

In the past I have provided my amp and cab for Blues jams when I was part of the hosting band. Once I provided the amp and cab for a Blues competition which included my band and six other bands. No damage was suffered on any of these occasions mostly because I hovered over my gear and lectured each bass player prior to their plugging in. And I just happened to be fortunate. Those days are over. I don't host jams any longer and when my band plays we no longer allow people to sit in. Experiences like Jim C's reinforce my determination to never again allow others to play through my gear.

My new general policy which I posted in the Grumpy Old Farts thread is as follows:
    • No, you can not try out my bass. Ever.
    • You can not borrow my amp or cabinet. Ever.
    • Do not set your drink, car keys, drum key, wallet, coiled up cables, music, or anything else on my amp or cabinet.
    • Do not touch my vocal mic or get your nasty breath anywhere near it.
    • You may not get up and play or sing with our band. Come back when there is a jam night.
    M. M. Grump :)

11. voodoobassist

voodoobassist

Call me an arse if ya want, but I worked hard to afford my gear. I've saved, gone without and put in lots of hours to have nice basses and all thats related. If someone wants to play, then they should do the same. Work, save, scrimp and do what it takes to be able to show up at a gig and do the job. I have a fairly complex setup, pedals, synth, etc, and I can still be set up in 10 minutes. No reason someone else needs to use my rig because of "time restraints." End of story.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I'm quite reticent about sharing my gear. Fortunately I don't have a lot of money in it, and it's all pretty generic stuff that I could replace in a jiffy. But I'm certainly sympathetic.

13. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

I refuse period. Unless they are in a dreaded situation like bass malfunction with the wiring inside, then yeah. But i haven't had to lend anything nor did i have to refuse. A while back, like waayyy back, i went to see my friends band play. HE was on the bill with 2 other bands (his band was "headliner') the second band delayed so much cause the bass players bass was the fault but they didnt know until they swapped basses. So my friend, who was pretty over protective of his own bass, lent his to the bass player. It was fine at the end, but still.

14. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Depends on whether it's an emergency or simply a "hey, cool gear... can I try it?" sort of situation. If someone refused to let someone else use their gear in an emergency situation around here, their band would probably not be invited to play ever again with any of the other bands on the bill. IMO we all have accidents happen from time to time and have to support each other.

That said, there's no need to offer your gear in a non-emergency situation, and there's also nothing wrong with dictating how the gear is used in either case (even down to "down touch any of the knobs," for the OP's purposes).

15. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Greetings from the North,

Unless I know you and it's pre arranged............

NOPE!

Rezdog

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

A lot of players don't have a clue of how hard they tax equipment and claim ignorance when they destroy it. Knowing who to trust is the hard part. Pros usually know what they are doing and treat equipment with the respect that it deserves.

17. Frozen J

Frozen J

You guys got it. Bass, emergency only. Amp, ok but I'll set it up. As a beginner I played shows with no amp. I used others amps but touched nothing. All good.

18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Good rule of thumb for bands in a scene. We do the same thing.

karl_em_all likes this.
  19. car_man65

car_man65

Sounds like one of the shows we were playing a few months back.. The bassist for the "headline" band didn't bring a sufficient power amp so I (the opening band) end up loaning them my amp. Never. Again. Apparently since my tc electronic had a knob that said "tube drive" it means it a tube amp, and them not knowing the difference CRANK THE GAIN. Really? So for their whole set the gain on the amp was at around 8 when I usually have it set at 6 if that. Do people not understand what a clip light is? Anyways... Thats just one encounter. I more than understand the emotions toward this subject....

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I will loan out my amp/cabs to an opening band, but I will make sure the volume and EQ is under control.

My main basses are never loaned out. If I host a jam night I will bring a Squier as a backup and will let other bassists use it, but only if they are sober or close to it!

Big Taters likes this.
  21. RandomBox

RandomBox

Mostly, no. Mainly because my friends aren't musicians, and no matter how many times I try to explain how fragile musical gear is, they always play really hard/screw up my strings, or carelessly wave the bass around/bump it into stuff.