1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

any opinion on the fender custom shop duo tone jazz bass ltd ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Dec 4, 2013.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

I 'm kind of interested in a duo tone jazz, it's a limited edition by the custom shop, I know what a duo tone is, but is there anybody that tried one and can share their opinion?

it's seems that there are a few of them in the world and I kind of like the stack pots config

thanks in advance for those who knows

2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

All I know is that if they call it "custom shop", it's priced higher than it's worth. :p

3. nikolas Chelly

nikolas Chelly

I love mine very resonant body, a keeper ;-)

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    I purchased one. I have a Sadowsky, a pre-CBS P-bass, a Valenti, a '03 Lakland 55-01D, two road worn Jazzes, ~1850 Tyrolean upright...etc.

I sold a very good '69 3tsb Fender P-bass in order to get the duo-tone relic. I got a good price, imho on the duo-tone.

It is pretty much the only 4-string electric I play anymore.

Amazingly complex clear rich tone. Here is a thread with a bit more info: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/considering-fender-cs-team-built-early-60s-jazz-relic-1007101/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 lol

7. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78! Supporting Member

Seriously I would love to hear a 'duoTone' for myself.

8. nikolas Chelly

nikolas Chelly

i love and keep mine with Dunncans Antiquity II Jive ! More fat thans the Abby's ones !

9. TuneIn

TuneIn Supporting Member

+2 HA!

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Can somebody enlighten me here, what is DuoTone? I tried google...

11. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Yes. The body slab is three planks. The "wings" are Ash, and the center plank is Alder. The first several times I played the one I have, I was unaware it was a "duo-tone," and like you had never heard of it.

The young salesman, mentioned it. When I asked for more info, the best he could do was find a blurb "auf Deutche," which he ran through Google Translate—producing a certain amount of giberish. Fortunately I remembered enough of my German to figure out the original text. :eyebrow:

Does the wood matter? I don't know and don't care. It is my favorite instrument at the moment, which is difficult to admit because my Sadowsky and my Roadworns are inspiring. :eek:

Weight is 8.8 lbs. (8 lbs 12.8 oz or 3.99 kilos). I traded a '69 P-bass for $3200 and also got 20% off the tag price. $400 cash difference. In any case, I am happy. I exchanged a bass I never play anymore for one I play all the time. :cool:

12. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    All I know is that you are welcome to your opinion, but I traded a bass I paid $830 for in 2001 plus $400 cash. I have owned Jazz basses on and off since 1968 and first played one in 1964.

My CS instrument is better than any Jazz I have owned—IMHO. The price was somewhere around $3800 when I first pulled it off the wall. I ended up "paying" ~$3600 with the 3.2k trade.

In reality, the price is hard to establish. I suspect that the '69 P-bass trade was really worth about $2900, so adding the $400 cash I paid, the price was $3300. I know some '69 P-basses are going for ~$3000, so if I had sold the P-bass myself, I could have saved ~$100. Call me a fool, if it makes you feel better. :p

I am a retired music teacher and play in 5 bands (one reggae, one country, one 20-piece Jazz big band, one electric fusion/smooth Jazz, and one classic Jazz combo. The Jazz is used at least part of the time in all of them. :bassist:

13. nikolas Chelly

nikolas Chelly

Fender Custom Shop Ltd Run DuoTone Jazz Bass Relic 3 tone sunburst.

Frankfurt Music Messe 2012 Ltd Run guitar.

DuoTone..2 tones..2 woods. The body has an ash centre with alder wings. Sounds bizarre but it actually works. You get the attack and openness of ash along with the woody mid range bite of alder..

Alder/Ash/Alder body

64 J Bass neck/ round lam board

9.5" radius

Medium jumbo frets

'62 stack knob volume/tone controls

14. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    Nikolas—do you have any pictures? Would you make some and please post them?

Here is one of mine:

[​IMG]

15. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

I used to own one. Sold it to a good friend. I miss it and hope to buy it back some day!

16. Jim Carr

Disclosures:
    +1

I understand that.

I saw that yours listed about the time I bought mine. I know you got a great deal on it. Why did you let it go? —Wait, that sort of answers itself, doesn't it? :smug:

I don't suppose it had anything to do with the unfathomable attraction so many ultra-cool vintage Fender basses seem to feel for you, does it? ;) ;) ;)

How long did you have the duo-tone? Were there pics? I'd love to compare the finish work to mine. :cool: