1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any opinions of Boss GEB-7 Bass EQ Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alex E, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Alex E

Alex E

Not big on effects for the bass. I do want a more defined control of the EQ though!

Please share any experiences with this Boss pedal.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's fine. Not "spectacular", but it does the job and sounds decent. The MXR 10-band is the other popular inexpensive option. My favorite in terms of sound quality is the old (long ago discontinued) blue MXR 10-band with no footswitch.
  3. Alex E

Alex E

Is the MXR 10-band better than the Boss GEB-7? Do those 3 extra sliders make a big difference?

Thanks,
  4. thehangingmist

thehangingmist

i am using the geb-7 its a nice eq but i have nothing to compare it with. works alright, solid construction.
  5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

I'd argue that it's not "better" or "worse". The main thing to be aware of is that the MXR 10-Band EQ's sliders are centered on different frequencies than what you see on the GEB-7, and the impact of cutting/boosting is a little different. Is this better? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you're trying to shape and how.

Both cover enough of a frequency range - high and low - to be useful on bass.

I don't know how the MXR 10-Band is in terms of noise level (I haven't used one in a long time), but I can tell you that the GEB-7 is a bit noisy. Does the job, though - the frequency choices were made with respect to popular bass player preferences instead of popular guitar player preferences.

When it comes to EQ pedals, more sliders does not necessarily mean better results. Some people find parametric EQs to be more effective, and others prefer a finely tuned 3 or 4-band EQ.

Overall, remember this: the mid knob on a particular amp is not going to be the same as the mid knob on another amp. The same goes for every EQ knob. Pedals are the same way. It's something to keep in mind while exploring EQ.
  6. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

As an audio engineer, I'm generally a fan of parametric EQs, where I can center in on certain frequencies in either a narrow or wide frequency band. Barring that, I'd like to have as many bands as possible on a graphic EQ, because it lets me sculpt my sound according to the band...I can boost good free frequencies while not hogging guitar or drum frequencies.

That said, you may not share my same style of EQing. My advice would be to demo them side-by-side for a few days, then sell or return the one you don't want.
  7. Stampy

Stampy

I just bought it on Saturday and I love it. The standard and slap bass settings are amazing. There are endless possibilites with this pedal. Good solid construction. I would recommend it. I wonder how the EQ-20 is compared to this?
  8. Revmizery

Revmizery

The EQ-20 basically expands on the 7 band boss EQ's plus it can save up to 9 settings. I used it in conjunction with a line 6 pod for a while. The sliders them selves are alot larger in size and make it easier to tweak them. trying to sell it now as the Trace has a 12 band on it:smug:.
  9. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

I'm happy with mine - no noise or "tone suck" when off, and it sounds good when engaged. Quite affordable also. Great for on the fly tone changes.
  10. Alex E

Alex E

Hi 4-string!

Since the thread is now mentioning an MXR unit along with a Boss GEB-7, I just want to make sure..... Do you have the GEB-7?

If so, sounds as if you like it. Wonderful. When engaged, is it quiet?

Thanks for the input!
  11. Alex E

Alex E

Stampy, you just bought the Boss GEB-7, or the MXR?

It has standard and slap bass presets, or did you simply tweak the sliders to get the sound you wanted?
  12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate

I'm not Stampy, but I assume he meant the GEB-7. The 10-Band doesn't have such sample settings in the manual.

Also, no actual "presets" are built into the GEB-7. For that, you want to look to a programmable EQ like the EQ-20. ;)
  13. Alex E

Alex E

Thanks to everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

Bongomania, those links on compressors and other effects at the bottom of your replies is great information!
  14. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

Sorry - yes, I have the GEB-7. :)

No noise issues at all as far as I can tell.
  15. Alex E

Alex E

Thanks MB, I'm grateful for as much info as I can get.
  16. Alex E

Alex E

Good, as the GC here has the GEB in stock to test, but not the MXR

One more question, then I'll stop bugging. Do you run the the signal: Bass to Pedal to amp input? Or do you run the GEB-7 in your amp's effects loop?

Thanks,
  17. Stampy

Stampy

Yes I have the GEB-7. I run the bass- input eq- out to amp. I think is sounds better like that but if you run it through the effects loop I don't think it will make much of a difference.
  18. okTem

okTem

+1 for MXR 10 Band EQ. Those 3 extra bands do matter if you're a tone geek. I never thought the 16kHz would make a difference in the bass sound but in fact it does. You said you want a more definitive EQ tweeking. Than this would be it. I use it on stage and it is always on because it is the definition of the sound I like :smug:
  19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    i use the MXR 10 band and love it............been using it for a few months now without the first complaint
  20. Alex E

Alex E

Another dumb question, as I'm trying to learn. Is this the model MXR you use: MXR M-108 Ten Band Graphic EQ ???

If this is it, isn't it more of a dedicated guitar pedal? I was wondering if it is engineered so that it still performs well with the bass' lower frequency range?