1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any opinions on the Orange OBC 810??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I posted a similar thread awhile back about orange amps in general. I heard TONS of positive things about the AD200 and Terror1000 heads(which I've kept in mind), there were the typical "I hate Orange amps but I can't give any reasons why" replies, but no opinions about cabs. I've been interested in Orange cabs for quite some time now, particularly the 810. Any reviews of it, or any other Orange bass speaker?

Thanks,
    Bassdude15
  2. elwuss

elwuss

I played OBC 410.

+:
    The sound (pretty vintage sounding cab).
    Very loud.

-:
    big.
    no wheels.
    too expensive.

bought Ampeg SVT 810E instead.
  3. devin_bass

devin_bass

I have an ad200 into two obc 410's. The sound is huge and phenomenal. Im also interested in how an obc810 would sound.... The obc 810 pikes my interest because its easier to move an 810 around than seperate cabs.
  4. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I personally don't think the SVT 810's sound very vintage though :meh:.
  5. Zoa

Zoa

I think the general consensus is that they're good cabinets, but overpriced. You can get a Heritage 810e for $700 less, which is a superior cabinet IMO. I certainly wouldn't complain about playing through an OBC, though.
  6. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I dunno… I used an OBC115 once, and it completely BLEW AWAY the nearby Ampeg 810. People on TB generally recommend an 8*10 over a pair of 1*15's though.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Wat?
    :scowl::rollno::confused::bawl:
  8. elwuss

elwuss

I never said it does, even though the statement is questionable.
  9. elwuss

elwuss

^^ this.
  10. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP Supporting Member

What?:confused:

I guess if you have a pickup or SUV that would be true.

As to the OP it sounds like you couldn't be talked out of an Orange cab either way, so just buy what you can afford and enjoy it. I personally do not care for Orange products. They sound nice but they make everything sound like British rock IMHO. They are diverse but I could never tweak that brit rock sound out of them. Also, a $700 upcharge for orange tolex seems like a commitment to that color.
  11. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu Supporting Member

I also run AD200 into two OBC410 and love the sound but don't love moving the pieces without help. I think 810 would be easier to maneuver with the kick and wheels, but then again there are some gigs where 410 is easier, too, like spaces with tight stairways.

Frankly, if money didn't matter, I'd love to try an OBC810 but they are very pricey (overpriced?). I've been able to get my pieces used or B stock to take some of the sting out of the Orange pricing, but I don't really think that's an option with an 810, so I'd probably go SVT 810 right now if it were me buying. Actually, I'm hunting for an SVT 215 right now.
  12. devin_bass

devin_bass

Im going to have to agree with everyone here.Im sure the obc810 is a great sounding cab, but the cab is overpriced and the competition is just as good for cheaper. I still love my Orange though. :)
  13. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Way too overpriced. Better (IMO) 810s out there for much less money:

Hartke Hydrive 810
    Ampeg 810e
    Heritage ampeg 810e
    Peavey tour 810
  14. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

That stack of 2 410's and a Terror 500, that and my bass with flats was the closest I've ever gotten to the sound in my head.
  15. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    I have the OBC 410 and 115 set up and it absolutely blows my old Ampeg 8x10 out of the water. I love Orange. They are pricey here yes, but ironically in Europe Ampeg is priced like Orange here and Orange is priced like Ampeg from what I've heard.

Their cabinets are heavy and that's the only negative thing I can say about them. The OBC 810 uses Neo speakers (different from the OBC 4x10) so it is lighter than two OBC 410's would be, and is my next purchase as I absolutely LOVE the Orange tone. The one drawback is shipping. The OBC 810's are very rarely found in stores, so you have to pay some pretty high shipping. HOWEVER, before my band got endorsed by Orange I called them directly to order a cab, and told them I was a musician. The fellow that answered the phone offered to sell me the cabinet at dealer price, and was about 30% less than the retail price they usually sell for. I would try to call Orange USA in Atlanta and see if you can get the same deal.

And I've found that 8x10's are MUCH easier to maneuver than 2 410's or a 410 and 115, etc.

PM me if you want any additional advice. I'm sort of an Orange bass gear junkie.
  16. Zoa

Zoa

Blew away how? Tonewise is mostly subjective, but if you're talking volume there was something wrong with that 810. Although if you don't think Ampeg 810s sound vintage I don't know what to tell you.
  17. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Tonewise, obviously. Really though the MOST vintage amps are Marshalls, but they went and "modernized" all of their bass amps awhile back and the old ones I've found online are in the $2500-4k range. An orange cab , is to me, the next-best thing in terms of sound.
  18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Ampeg 8x10s don't all sound the same, so isn't a very helpful comparison without being specific.
  19. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    My Orange rig that I bought new in 2013 sounds better than any Ampeg 8x10 I've owned. I've owned 4 Ampeg 8x10's, one from 1983, one of the really well made ones from 1996, and then two newer early to mid 2000 ones. I find the Orange rig to be much better and more versatile.

Actually, I'll say what all the Orange haters want to hear: MY ORANGE IS BETTER THAN EVERY OTHER CAB EVER MADE BECAUSE IT LOOKS COOL AND VINTAGE.

and sounds better.
  20. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Not an orange hater, but....I'm pretty sure the older (late eighties - 2007) ampeg 810s sound way different than the ones currently in production.