Any opinions on Trace Elliot preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by russpurdy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

I'm planning on picking up an 80's Trace Elliot preamp from a local classifieds ad. It's a GP11 and looks in good shape. Anyone have any thoughts on these? We worked out a price of $75 which seemed fair.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

3. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

I never tried the GP11, but I had a GP12XV for several years, and I loved it.

You can't go wrong with TE gear from the '80s and '90s, IMHO... as long as it's in good working order, of course.

$75 is a great price.
  4. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Used to own a AH 250 head that had that pre
    Excellent piece of gear!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 20db pad

20db pad

I had one back in the day - sounded great but it seemed like it didn't drive a power amp to the volume levels it really should have. That said, I'd get one for $75 any day of the week.
  7. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The GP11 is awesome. I have one as backup - GP11 MK5 with a 150Watts power amp. Mine has an audible hiss, but I never minded that.
    However, keep in mind that this is gear from an earlier century. Heck, even from an earlier millenium (which makes me feel old, damn it).
    My GP11 started rusting at some spots (no kidding) and I would have a look at the electronics, too. Trace Elliot hasn't been known for their high-quality component use because... Well, they used quite budget stuff
  8. delta7fred

delta7fred

The only problems I have seen on Trace Elliot preamps is that the pots sometimes get a bit scratchy and need a shot of cleaner.

I used the later 7 band graphic preamp from the 90s until a couple of years ago with zero problems (in a 15 combo).

There is an assembly fault on certain power amps that can cause them to self destruct, very easily rectified as long as you catch it in time.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I have the UK-made GP12 SMX which is fully loaded...12 band EQ and compressor. The pre-shapes are somewhat useful but more so when tweaked via the GEQ. The EQ Balance is pure genius.

$75 is a great buy and nothing sounds like a Trace!

Riis
  10. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

Buy it! I've been using the same MKV GP11 rig since buying it new in 1986. Never had any problems whatsoever. Built like tanks and tone in spades. Pair it with a MKV 1048 (4x10) or/and 1518 (1x15) cab for that classic Trace sound.