Any pedals solve my problem?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Liam McMonigle, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

I need some help. On my Thunderbird bass my D and G strings sound quite weak compared to the E and A, I want a pedal which will boost how 'Bassy' the D and G are, I use 45-105 Rotosound roundwound strings, Steel, and they still sounds kind of weak, any way to get a fuller sound from the D and G?
  2. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Raise the pick-ups on the D/G side.
  3. Rafescow

Rafescow

Ever tried using a compressor? That should help you making all notes from all strings sound in the same volume level.
  4. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

Set up your bass (pickup height, string height, neck relief, intonation).

Adjust your technique (maybe you are playing differently on the D and G than you are on the E and A).

If all that doesn't get your where you want to be, get a nice compressor.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I don't know of any pedal that will do that I like David's advice or look to trying new strings? a compressor would work if your A and E strings are super loud causing your D and G to sound weak but if the A and E are just normal sounding I'm not sure? I find that using EQ to round out the sound works really well taking some of the bass out helps even out the strings and allows the D and G to be heard over the boomy A and E for me.
  7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

my old p bass did that too, i ended up going with a lower tone than usual by cutting the treble, but it did end up being nice and even, just kind of sub sonic and bassy
  8. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

Thanks for the repies, I think i am gonna try Davids method and raise the pickups. If that fails, i'll try a compressor, i've been looking at them recently.
  9. LeoTender

LeoTender

right. you best take your bass to a shop and see if a compressor helps the problem.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Good call, but try one more thing: re-think your EQ. What sounds good solo'd will suck the life from your tone & balance in the mix...particularly any type of mid-scoop. I've done it myself, trust me. I can roll back some freq's via the para EQ and make the D & G strings virtually disappear...not good.

Riis
  11. aledeville

aledeville

There is no real way to even uneven strings after the jack socket of the bass.
  12. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Get a proper setup on the bass before you go and buy a compressor. Explain the issue to the tech so they can fix it for you...
  13. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

yep, first the pickups, then check your amp EQ. I don't see how a compressor would help here.
  14. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

Thanks again, i will be getting my bass restrung and set up after Christmas. Merry Christmas
  15. Melonthief

Melonthief

You already got the right answers - pup height and compressor.
    I'm just advising on the 2 most common compressors on the market, both of which I own.
    1) Boss CS-3
    This is the blue stomp box, extremely big seller at under $100. It's a good analog compressor that has the unintended effect of adding a sort of breathy distortion. The distort is really subtle and I actually like it for some stuff.
    2) MXR M87 Bass Compressor
    This is the white stomp box and it goes for about $200.
    This one is crystal clear sparkling tone and good compression. I don't seem to be able to get the really squashed tone that I get from the Boss, but for 90% of live situations I prefer the MXR for its clean tone.
  16. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

A compressor certainly has the potential to help in this type of situation. It will raise up the weaker signals, and squash the loud ones to make even levels and attack.

If the OP's problem is too severe however, he may not like the results that he gets from a compressor alone. IMHO, a compressor shouldn't be used solely to make up for technique or setup issues. )I'm not saying the OP has those problems)
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only problem with compression is that it compresses. And sorry, but that's putting a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. Pickup height. And a tube amp ;)
  18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Four things:

1. Pickup height.
    2. String height.
    3. String gauge.
    4. EQ.

If fixing thos four things get you really close, a compressor can get you the rest of the way there. However you may not like what the compressor does to your tone.