Any Pipe smokers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JacoLesFlea, Mar 19, 2014.

1. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

I always wanted to try a pipe so I got a corn cob and a pouch of Captain Black cherry tobacco. I went to a pipe store online and they had pipes for sale as high as 350 bucks! My grandpa used to smoke Prince Albert and my best friends dad growing up smoked Borkum Riff. What flavor tobacco do you like if you do smoke a pipe. I do not inhale either.
  2. Chebass88

Chebass88 Supporting Member

Wow - only $350? I guess you haven't seen the Dunhill "Titanic" pipe yet... ($4990)

I enjoy smoking a pipe, and have done so for the past 17 years. I also started on a corn cob, though that got phased out pretty quickly.

I've assembled a decent collection of pipes. I have a Savinelli, 2 Petersons (including a churchwarden), a Savinelli 2nd (Baronet Bruyere), and an assortment of off-brand imports. I even have a replica clay tavern pipe - which is great for testing new blends, without having the flavors colored by the pipe itself.

As for tobacco, my tastes have changed quite a bit. I've smoked the large bags of cheap cavendish from CVS, to Borkum Riff, to Captain Black, etc. For a while, my favorite blend was MacBaren's Scottish Mixture, or DTM's BlueNote. I started off liking very heavily scented aromatics (cavendish), but recently have been enjoying some English blends.

I'm currently working my way through a tin of McClelland's #8. It is particularly enjoyable. I also have a humidor in which I mixed all of the remnants of about 10 tins / small bags from tobacconists. I would classify that mixture as mostly aromatic - I typically use it as my dog-walking blend. I have a bunch of unopened tins at home - I try to buy some everytime I see a small, independent tobacconist.

I'd recommend finding a decent tobacconist in your area. They typically have really decent pipes at low prices, especially, the non-branded ones or seconds.

The biggest downside to pipe smoking is the constant need to purchase new pipes, new tobaccos, new accessories, etc. Good luck!
  3. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Very informative. Thanks alot. :)
  4. rossiman

rossiman

I started smoking pipe tobacco when I was 18 when I arrived at college. There was one of the best pipe shops in Champaign, Jon's Pipe Shop, and they have a massive collection of pipes and are more than happy to spread their knowledge of everything tobacco.
    I didn't smoke that often and ended giving it up to switch to cigars around 19/20. I am a big cigar smoker now, though I wish I got more into pipe tobacoo:
    Reason being you can get so much out of smoking pipe, a large range of flavors, etiquette, and it is incredibly more cost efficient compared to cigars
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPA

IPA

I enjoy pipe smoking now and then. I'm partial to Frog Morton and his friends Frog Morton on the Bayou and Frog on the Town. I'm not usually budgeted for bad smoke so I stick to those guys, reliable and tasty.

[​IMG]
  7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

www.boswellpipes.com

is where I got my first pipe. It's an amazing smoke. his tobacco blends are great. I'm a big fan of spice and nice or PA dutch treat. cherry smash is also great.

and for the love of all that is holy please use wooden matches to light your pipe so you're not burning the tobacco and getting mouth bite.
  8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost

I'm also a fan of Frog Mortons. My fav is Cellar which I doctor a bit when I age it. I take the barrel cube that ships with it and douse it in 18 yo Macallen and then jar it for... well as long as I can hold out :) I like to cut it with other blends from time to time as well. I've found that Carter Hall actually blends nicely with it. If you want a blend that will play nicely with a S.O. go with something like Altadis Vanilla Custard. The room note is stellar and it's a good smoke as well.

My fav pipe is actually my Lee VanCleef meer but I'm also fond of my Stanwells too. I have several Petes and a custom cob that was reworked by DGE. Cobs are an excellent "in" for a novice smoker. Just grab a cob and some Carter Hall. That was the genesis for me.
  9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

what is the real objective?:confused:

tried smoking a pipe,.. couldn't seem to inhale,.. quit the next day! was i suppose to keep puffing? was i doing it wrong? wrong pipe/tobacco?

anyway, i eventually forgot pipe-smoking ever existed..., until my neighbor started up. i know his objective,... he wants to be left alone!;)
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I tried a pipe for a while during my 20's. Every time I smoked it, the next morning when I woke up it felt and tasted like the Russian army had walked through my mouth. Also, my throat tended to swell a bit.

It was VERY clear to me that my body was telling me to knock it off.

And don't forget, you don't have to inhale to get tongue or mouth cancer, or to damage your gums and teeth.
  11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost

Thanks for the PSA Pilgrim. :D <-- this is a smile... I'm ribbing you in a friendly manner. No malice intended

Eat right, exercise , avoid "insert bad thing here" die anyway.

Live a little ;)

-- Never heard the throat swelling from smoking... well, anything before. Maybe an allergic reaction? That does sound concerning for sure and was probably for the best that you stopped. I would have too.
  12. Anthbass

Anthbass

Pipesmoker of two decades. No aromatics for me - they smell great, but I don't find they taste it.

There are lots of on-line resources to get you going. You'll likely find the pipe community to be as diverse as the bass community.

Locally, if you have a tobacco shop, you should be able to find fellow pipesmokers, and you can learn a lot from them. Also a chance to be social, and try new tobaccos and learn the culture.

Good luck on your pipe journey, it can be wonderfully contemplative.
  13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

sounds like you were doing it wrong. you draw on a pipe like you're sipping a drink.

sounds to me like you were burning the tobacco way too hot

both of the above things being said, it's obviously not for everybody.

It takes practice to figure out what works.
  14. Pdthelefty

Pdthelefty

I have a tin of Dunhill early morning and it is quite nice. I recently got some a blend called Old Toby. It is a Lord of the Rings inspired blend but I haven't had the chance to smoke very much of it yet.
  15. conebeckham

conebeckham

Haven't smoked in a couple years, but I was a daily pipe smoker from 1985 to 1994. Very occasionally since then. I still have a collection of pipes--Dunhills, Charatans, and some smaller American artists....

I am a fan of English blends....McClelland's are nice. One of my faves was called Penzance, from Germain I think was the name...I favor Latakia, Turkish tobaccos for flavoring, with a Virginia base. A little Perique's not a bad thing, but too much chews up the tongue.
  16. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    I hear good things about Frog on the Town and Frog Morton in general, it's low-nicotine from what I read. I hear a lot of suggestions for great low-nics that are vanilla blends, any cherry or apple flavored low-nics that you guys would recommend? Sorry to highjack :bag:
  17. AGH

AGH Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Pipe smoker here, off and on since the late 90's. Happy to see this thread 'cause I thought I was all alone!
  18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Smoked pipes for many years before switching to cigars. I still have all my pipes and smoke them from time to time. I prefer English blends but have one aromatic that I like. Aromatics smell good but can be harsh and tend to leave a bad aftertaste.

Find a local tobacconist and sample their house blends.

Also, you need to get a few more pipes, they don't have to be expensive but you need to rotate your pipes so that they have a chance to dry between uses or they will turn sour. Keep the stems clean and don't allow too much buildup in the bowl.

Pipe smoking can be a relaxing and interesting hobby, enjoy.
  19. IPA

IPA

I've been meaning to try some latakia, I think it's called? I used to think it smelled like an old shoe, but I believe I thought the same thing about single malt scotch which I love now. Tastes changing with age... ;)
  20. Anthbass

Anthbass

Agree about tastes changing, mine certainly have.

Smoking straight latakia might be a tad dull, but a good english blend, of which latakia is an integral part, could do it. If you like the 'smoky' Islay scotches, you'll likely get on well with english and oriental blends. Lots of choices out there these days.

PS - a proper english or balkan blend should smell like a barn... and on fire, full of horses ;)
  21. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost

Haha, so true.

I've been enjoying more perique blends when I've bothered to stray too far from my Frog Mortons cellar or Pirate Kake.