Any Point of 2 TONES ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whil57, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Whil57

Whil57

I was wondering if there is any point on a passive system of having 2 vol and 2 tones. Typically, with one tone and individual volumes, if you only have one pickup on, then the tone functions on that pup. On another thread someone stated you lose volume with two resistors. So that would be one reason to stay with one tone only. I just thought maybe you could make the bridge brighter than the neck if one wanted.
  2. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

2 pickups = 2 tones and two volumes for maximum fine tuning. Seems pretty bassic to me
  3. Whil57

Whil57

true, i guess if i dont like it for some reason, then i can re-wire it and have an extra knob with no function.
  4. line6man

line6man

Always seemed useless to me, unless there was a pickup selector switch. Passive circuits should be simple and functional.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You need the resistors to prevent the two tone controls from each controlling both pickups. The resistors do reduce the output. For me, it's an idea that works better on paper than in the real world.
  7. Whil57

Whil57

Yeah, i tried it on a bass i had modded from active to passive. To me it seemed that both pups got brighter individually, than with the one tone. Not what i wanted.
  8. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a Fishbone six-string with two pickups and a tone control for each pickup. It is a wonderful setup; there are some really nice tonal combinations made available. They made the four-knob layout Volume/Blend/Tone/Tone.
  9. Whil57

Whil57

Yeah, that was what it was i think before the mod, but i didnt like the blend. Also seemed to bright and nasally (on the Hamer Velocity) anyway. I want a flat, bassy as possible, gee that instrument sounds really dead tone that when i hit the tone it just adds a little finger tone.
  10. RobbieK

RobbieK

11. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Ime with two tone controls, the one set to block the most highs overrides the other one.

I had a two pickup bass with no pots, just individual 6-way rotary switches for each pickup. Five positions were different caps, one position was OFF. Trying to set one pickup bright and the other dark looked real swell on paper, but in reality the one set darkest dominated the tone.

One tone control is enough on passive basses, imo.
  12. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Yeah, this is what's wrong with 2 tones! Either tone control ends up effecting both pickups unless if resistors are used.

A pain!
  13. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Some people like two tones -- a lot -- while most like it not at all. Up to you, just know that odds are you will side with the majority. The only way to do it to make it do everything people expect of it while avoiding the pitfalls that most people perceive is to put a tone control on each pickup and actively buffer each pickup and then actively combine the two pickup signals. No tone control interaction, no volume loss, and no longer a passive bass. Ay, there's the rub!
  14. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I never use mine anymore.
    Found out I was an "everything on 10" kind of guy.

but.. I'm not convinced the tech did it right.
  15. Jensby design

Jensby design

I have 2 basses with no tone controls.