1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any potential problems plugging my iPad GarageBand keys into a Super Bassman live?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by hopturn, Apr 9, 2014.

1. hopturn

hopturn

As the thread says...I have a new Super Bassman (which I LOVE) and I want to hook my iPad up to it to use as a cheap synth for a bar gig I have coming up next week...more for Special FX than anything.

My plan is to use both inputs, plugging my passive Fender Jazz into input one and the iPad into input two and just mixing the volume on the iPad. Don't really want to bring a real keyboard and another amp setup.

Can anyone out there tell me if this is insane or not?

2. MVE

MVE

Its not insane, but remember that synths and such can often go lower than a bass guitar so keep an eye on your speakers.

If you need to, use the eq on the ipad to reduce some of the bass so you don't hurt anything.

Wouldn't you be better off just plugging it into the PA?

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

ha, I've done the exact same thing only though a Walkabout and a Berg CN212. I did an opening piano chord sequence in 2 songs. I just watched the Garage Band volume and it worked out fine.

Ultimately we stopped doing it this way because, although it worked and sounded fine (very decent grand piano patch in GB), the singer could not stand the idea of getting the piano sound off GarageBand and an iPhone. Funny.

good luck

4. MVE

MVE

Check this out... lol

http://www.wimp.com/pianistipad/

I also saw on the news the other day about some university music program that did a concert with all ipads.

I love the Korg synth apps, especially the Korg Polysix and Korg ims20. Plugged into my studio monitors they both sound absolutely excellent.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hopturn

hopturn

thanks for the tips. i always have my iPad with me at every gig these days anyway, and like the idea of using it in a couple places without having to haul extra gear (especially since i'm not a keys player typically).

i did think about pushing it through the PA, but kinda like the idea of having it through my amp as a monitor. this particular project is just bass/drums/sax and EWI. keep it simple stupid is the order of the day.