1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any problems playing in Drop C with a 5 string set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FBS1996, Jan 30, 2014.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

Hey everyone

I joined a band a couple of months back and we play in drop C. From what I've seen, there is VERY little choice in terms of bass strings with uncommon guages, so I started out by just tuning a standard 110 - 50 set down to drop c on a 34 inch scale bass (Fender Precision), but the E string would sound too floppy and rubber-bandy for me to use, and it would also slip out of tune very easily.

So for the past few months, I've been using the BEAD strings from a 5 string set and tuning them to CGCF. I was just wondering if this would be too much tension to put onto a bass neck, or should it be able to handle it? There's been no problems so far, but am I likely to run into any problems in the long term?

Thanks everyone

2. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I do it all the time but my next is 35" those. Plus am in the same but a tiny bit. But Really for C I would use a 125 - 135 string gange.

3. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

What gauge BEAD are you using?

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

:confused:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SoVeryTired

Put a string of them together and you've got an Indian river.

7. FBS1996

FBS1996

ah yeah sorry, forgot to mention that one, I think it's 125/105/85/65.

Chees

8. SoVeryTired

Here's some estimated tension, based on Circle K's charts (someone else may be able to calculate properly):

125 for C - approx. 37 lbs - seems fair.
    105 for G - approx. 53lbs - pretty tense.
    85 for C - very tense, more than 60lbs but so tense the chart doesn't give a figure for C around this gauge.
    65 for F - again, over 60lbs.

Not pushing Circle K strings particularly (although they are good), but using their charts, a balanced set for that tuning would be something like:

130-86-63-47 (or 130-85-65-45 given more traditional gauges) - that's around 40lbs per string.

Or 124-82-61-45 for around 37lbs per string.

9. SoVeryTired

If you bought a 5 string set, you'd be best off discarding the E rather than the G.

10. ixlramp

ixlramp

^ What SVT said.
    EAD tuned up to GCF is too tight, buy a custom-designed drop C set or use a tension chart to build a set from singles with your preferred tension on each string.
    I you must use a 5 string set discard the E, 125 85 65 45 will be fairly balanced but perhaps too low a tension for you.

11. FBS1996

FBS1996

Thanks for that fellas, that makes sense. The tension on the D and G strings had been pretty tough, there'd be no chance of getting a string bend out of them without breaking a finger haha. I think I'll try out the 125/85/65/45 and see how that goes. I've tuned strings down a tone before and the tension wasn't too loose for me so it should be alright. Cheers :)

12. SnowCal

SnowCal

Would it be an issue to just tune BEAD? You'd have to play a fret above where the guitarists are. I don't see how that'd be a problem though.

13. FBS1996

FBS1996

We have some pretty quick runs using the C string, so I'd need to have C as an open note. I would prefer to do that though, it would be easier

14. TheControlled

TheControlled

I tune my Lakland 55-01 CGCFBb using a D'addario light gauge 4 string set (.090, .075, .060, .040) for the GCFBb and a single .125 for the low C. Requires some adjustments from standard but works great once it's set up for it. Plus, this is the best way I can do it and still use the through body feature - D'addario make Super Longs in those gauges. It also works for BF#BEA if I use a .130 for the low B with no extra adjustment.

15. MrTaff

MrTaff

What about tuning to C-F-A#-D#, just half a step up from BEAD so you can use a light 5 string set which gives you much more options for strings.