1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any Protools Pros in here?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Matthew P. Morris, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris Supporting Member

I am editing an audiobook in Protools..realtime bouncing is killing me.

The real time bouncing is killing my workflow. I am editing out noises, breaths, and inserting narration correction. I AM NOT using any sound processing or plugins. I use cross fades often, and the audio suite plugin for gain, when needed.

Is there a way to avoid real time bouncing.

If so how does this sound... can I consolidate the file, rename it.. and go into the audio bin and right click the NEW file and click "export region as file...

is the this a legal way for me to get around real time bounce since I am not processing any plugins.?
    thankyou
    Matt
  2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Man, I took music prod in HS and that was my least favourite thing to do. I'm really not sure there's a way around it, but I remember spending full classes (hour long) just waiting for the tracks to bounce
  3. xobobox

xobobox

If you're dealing with a single mono or stereo tracks you can "Export Regions as Files". Any regions that have fades or edits must be consolidated first. This is because a fade is considered a separate region. If you were to select a region with fades on the front and back and export it you would end up with 3 files. You can find "Consolidate Region" here: EDIT > CONSOLIDATE REGION or SHIFT+ALT+3(apple). (note: if you're working in PT 10 Regions are called CLIPS. ex "Export Clips as Files")

You'll want to consolidate each region separately. For example, if you need to deliver each chapter as a separate file then consolidate each chapter individually, including any blank space you want included in the file. This will create a new region in place and combine any crossfades, edits and blank space selected into a new file on the timeline. I usually duplicate the track I made my edits on and consolidate that, just incase I need to go back and fix anything.

Next you'll select all the regions in the timeline you'd like to export to file. Then go to the regions window on the right of the EDIT window. There is a "REGION LIST POP-UP" window. Under that choose "Export Regions as Files..." or "Shift+command+K"(apple). Choose your output options and location, done.

Oh yea. I'd number your files before you export them.

:D EXTRA INFO:
    If you need to add a compression or limiter you can always add it as an insert and tweak settings accordingly. The next step should happen after you've consolidated all of your files. When you've settled on something you can open the same effect in the "AudioSuite" menu, copy the settings from your insert plug-in and paste it to the AudioSuite plugin. Then you can select the files to be effected and click "Process" on the AS plug. Make sure the AS plug is set to "region by region" not "entire selection". Then go through the export process.
  4. thatbassist863

thatbassist863

What is the bit depth and sampling rate that your using? If your using some other than 16 bit/44.1k then I recommend just bouncing the track. Also I'd say to give the audio the perceived volume that's needed to be at cd quality, put a compressor on the master track. You don't have to have to compression hitting the audio hard, just a touch will do. Then turn the output up on the compressor so that the master track is lighting up red but without clipping (you'll hear if its to much and starts to distort). That's a really basic way of mastering the audio.

Side note: I went to college for recording and have recorded professionally. Bouncing does take time but it also allows for you to hear any descrepencies that may be in the audio that might have been missed.
  5. Tuned

Tuned

Here's my fave Protools tweak:

Uninstall Protools
    Install Reaper

You not only get faster-than-realtime bouncing, there's also automatic delay compensation, much better stability and hardware compatibility, and dozens of features Protools will never have. Reaper is nagware (it's fully functional without paying anything) and only $60 to register for personal or small business use. I also use many of the included plugins as well, rather than ones that I paid a fair penny for.
  6. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Exactly. That's how to do it if you don't need to process any RTAS.
  7. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

PT has ADC. Stability is dependent on your machine, not the software. What are the dozens of features?
  8. Matthew P. Morris

Matthew P. Morris Supporting Member

Sorry that i dropped off the face of the forum. After the audio book ended, the holidays came, then I mixed a show airing on NJTV the end of JAN..so busy busy...

well needless to say using protools to master was a pain .. The book totaled 7 /1/2 hours...

they had a specific 7 step chain of what to do for the audio..
    including compression, vocal expansion, some Eq some Rms normalizing..

I wound up settling on saving presets and using the audio suite plugins to render the audio destructively. a 7 step process over 22 chapters... I got the process down better with each chapter... but I will need a better solution...

the end result with probably be conforming to the audio book standard of Sound Forge very soon..

thanks again
  9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Been editing on Pro Tools since the mid 90s and work as a pro editor/engineer on Pro Tools 10. Here's what I would do, having done projects like you describe literally a thousand times.

Bus your VO track to another track. On your VO track select BUS as your output and choose Bus 1-2. Then change your input setting on another track, where you want to capture the edit, to BUS 1-2 in.

Set the capture track to record and capture the source track on the new bussed track.
    Also set your system to Desctructive Record, which will allow you to tweak as you go without creating a bunch of regions...it will create a continuous region no matter how many tweak edits you make.

then, the final capture track will have the 'mix' or edited version of the project.
  10. jondog

jondog

Thank you! I've always used Reaper, and never tried ProTools. I was always wondering what I was missing, and eventually planning to get Pro Tools, because it's what everybody uses and it's for Pros, but if Reaper really does more better, my PT gas is cured!