Any quick thoughts on the GK MB115 II ??

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by rickwolff, Dec 14, 2013.

1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

My only amp right now is a PJB super flightcase which I love, BUT I very occasionally have a gig where I'm pushing that a little harder than I want to. I expect I'll still just use the PJB for my upright but I have one job where I start on my Eminence and then switch to slab for the later part.

I have a chance to buy a GK for $225 which seems like a no-brainer, but will it give me significantly more oomph that the PJB? I'm expecting it will. It's only 200 watts but a 15 moves quite a bit of air. I'm not playing loud rock and roll (and never will) but we definitely get the volume a bit louder than our typical jazz gig.

So, any one have experience with this amp? I've always heard good things about GK but have never owned one.

I shouldn't ever need to play my upright through this, but if I could that might be a bonus.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. rickwolff

I checked out the BG side and the GK MB 115 II seemed to get pretty good reviews so I pulled the trigger on a very nice used one for $250.

I played all three of my basses through it, I really don't think it's going to work for my DB but that wasn't the need or idea. The Eminence with the Realist Lifeline sounded good through it as did my Ibanez BG. I especially liked to tonal options with the BG, I think I'm really going to enjoy playing BG for the first time in a long time!

Anyway, since this is the DB side, I would have to give it thumbs down for DB (my PJB will continue in that role), but for EUB and slab it seems very nice.

I AM however, still interested in checking out the MB110 for the DB as a quick light (21lbs) grab and go. So, I'd still be interested if anyone has experience with that amp with the DB. (Otherwise I may have to answer my own question again by going to GC and auditioning it.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

I tried these amplifiers out when they first hit the market. My take is that the EQ voicing just doesn't quite work witha Double Bass. However, had you considered inserting the Headway EDB-2 into the iPod 1/8" input? Greg Clinkbeard
    had some success with that when these amps were first introduced. If your'e doubling, then you just plug in to the Headway when you use the DB.

I'd actually be surprised if the GK kept up with the Super Flightcase, since it's rated at 250 watts and has more speaker surface than the 15" in the GK. I realize from your second post that you already purchased it, so this is an after thought, but I'd consider one of the PJB powered cabinets, if you ever have the funds to do that.

The GK MBS and MBE are the workhorses of gigging musicians, because there durable, and lightweight, I don't find the newer series to be as robust.

Ric

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hi Rick. YMMV but FWIW: The new G-K MB110 combos are getting great reviews for DB.

Cheers,
    Joe

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rickwolff

Thanks Joe, I believe I saw a number of your positive comment on the BG side re the 110. I definitely will check them out at GC (and I haven't seen any show up used). A 21 Pound amp is an attractive thought. I had tried the PBJ bass cub but it didn't have quite the oomph I was looking for. It sat home while I just used the Super Flightcase.

Ric, re: the 115, it does indeed seem to put out a lot more volume than the SFC, nice deep sound which works well for BG but didn't do anything for me with the DB. I tried the EDB-2 briefly (into the main input) and still didn't find anything than I really liked I'll continue happily using the SFC for the DB - I haven't had any gigs where I double with the big bass and BG, just the Eminence and the BG, which both sound nice through the 115.

Merry Christmas everyone!

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Joe,
    If they work for you then that's great. I tried them out, but felt that they were'nt what I was looking for with regards to, their EQ section, and longevity. Just my opinion, though. I owned two different GK 200MB combos when they were first avaliable. At that time they had the best EQ for Double Bass.

Ric

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Okay, thanks Ric

9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

You're welcome, and if you haven't already also checkout the G-K MB112 while you're there too.

Best wishes with your search and Merry Christmas. :)