Any R&B/Soul fans?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

I used to love R&B growing up as a kid in the early 90s. Avant was a giant in this scene...and I had no idea he still sang. I just heard his newest song, "You and I" and thought man, that guy has not lost his touch. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT0gbcq5xqI

In a modern scene of Lady GaGa and Rihanna, you just don't get stuff like this anymore! When I first heard it, couldn't believe it was a new song.

Well let me know what you think, and suggest me some contemporary R&B you like! :bassist:

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Eryika Badu is one of the best out there and one of my favourite artists there is.

lowsound

3. Kirk Bryant

Kirk Bryant

Don't know how old ya'all are but get back to your historcial roots and start diggin up Chacka with Rufus, Aretha 70's-80's Gladis Knight, the Stapples, The Issley Bros......gawd I love some Issleys ...the list goes onnnnnnnnnnnnn and on.

4. backup

backup

when i read R&B/Soul i thought you actually meant rhythm and blues, soul, funk. the 90's+ stuff is more soul vocals over hiphop instrumentals.

i dont like modern "soul" i love classic stuff. like motown

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Yep, Even on the song posted, I just can't get past that damn awful electric drum sound. Drives me mad. Those thing are an abomination.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to start whining in your thread, but at least I'll bump it up for you. ;)

7. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Ah. Well suggest me some of your faves anyway! I'm always looking for great music...

8. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

No prob man :bag:

Don't worry about it. I WANT to hear your opinion after all

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I will soon be 57 so you know I know the deal. We used to make some great music in the past. Too bad we'll never see that kind of thing ever again.

10. backup

backup

i like james brown earlier stuff, especially the live cd "love power peace". bobby byrd got nice songs too, lyn collins first album "think", fred wesley's and maceo parker's instrumentals.

the softer kind of soul: curtis mayfield, l.j. reynolds, oscar brown jr, william devaughn etc

right now i listen a lot to motowns 67-72 period. albums such as "whats going on", "mpg" by marvin gaye and his hits with tammi terrell "aint no mountain high enough" "aint nothing like the real thing". stevie wonders three albums "for once in my life", "my cherie amour" and "signed sealed and delivered".
    when i say album its because i cant decide what song(s) to pick. those mentioned are killing all the way through

also, heavier stuff and psychedelic soul: p-funk and all its branches i love very much. parliament-funkadelic that is. george clinton solo work, bootsy collins, fuzzy haskins, bernie worrel, fred and maceo again (horny horns), glenn goins made a pfunk/fusion instrumental album "quazar". parlet, brides of funkenstein are more discoish.
    and very important: eddie hazel! check out his "california dreamin" right here, thats the reason i always prefered eddie over jimi

11. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

Motown vs Memphis ?

They both produced some killer music. Temptations, Redding, Pickett, Otis Blackwell, Sam & Dave

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Very nice, pisses me off though. In Milwaukee on the local scene the market for good live R&B is almost non existent.

Blue