Any Recommendations for a good bass head (separate)??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Franklin229, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

I did a search and came up with a lot of info on integrated amps but I am currently looking for a bare bones dedicated head, nothing with an integrated pre or any effects. I currently use an older SWR Power 750, a 70's era Alembic F-2B pre and a Meek SC 2.2. Cabinet is an Accugroove El Whappo Jr. I do not want to give up the pre, which I am totally attached to or the compressor-just want a separate amp to give me more usable power. Any info appreciated.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you want is called a "power amp", not a "head". A head is specifically a preamp integrated with a power amp.

Use the Google TB search on "power amp" in quotes like that.
  3. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

I'm running a Crest Prolite 2.0 bridged into either a 4 Ohm MESA Powerhouse 4X12 or 4 Ohm MESA Powerhouse 6X10..

Running it with two Sansamp RBI's, one clean, one dirty. I've never turned my rig up past 1/2 on the volume, and I'm really loving the tone of this rig. The power amp only weighs something like 12 lbs, quite comparable to the Peavey IPR series but with less problems IMO.

[​IMG]
  4. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Thanks-I've seen the terms flip flopped hence my confusion-will try the search function-
  5. Register to disable this ad