1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any Recorder Players Out There?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I remember how much fun it was in 4th grade. But I have been reading up and am not gonna go ultimate cheaper status with the 5 dollar soprano recorder. Im gonna start out on an Alto recorder which has a tone that is hauntingly beautiful and classic. Besides that its in F which would lead me up to a Bass Recorder in the future.

I read that sim wood grain plastics are the best. I am gonna give the Aulos Alto 300 series a try and go with 'The Recorder Guide' which teaches both soprano and alto side by side.

I would like to try the Aulos 700 series which is about 20 more. But I think I will be fine with the 300 and wont be out so much if I dont play too often or lose interest. But I think having a wind instrument under my belt and playing all the great classics will be too good to lose heart on.

Anyone else play one?

2. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Man, I remember playing recorder in elementary too. I was one of the best in my class :smug: I still have one kicking around somewhere...

--Silvie

3. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I have attempted and failed miserably to try any wind instrument. Enough times to know its just not for me.

4. Thaos627

Thaos627

its been a long time since ive messed with a recorder but i do play a few odd wind instruments like an ocarina.

personally i would just buy the cheap 2 for $1 at a dollar tree store, theyre clear colored plastic which is cool when u put some leds in them.

if u really want high quality (recorders r annoying to me no matter what the quality) i highly recommend looking through west music, theyre a music teachers place to go to & its what my school ordered stuff from. the selection is great & the price is cheap.

also you can get an electric kazoo that plugs into an amp... kazoo powered by a 500watt ampeg... awesome.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GAPendragon

GAPendragon

I play a bit, though I haven't in a while. I also have/play a bamboo flute in a similar shape and in the same key. A friend of my family plays and teaches Recorder (and piano)professionally. He released a CD of recorder music a few years ago.

7. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

LOL! That made my day.

--Silvie

8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Whoa! Electric kazoo. Crazy cool.

I played saxophone for a couple years back when. Which is probably why I keep a fondness for wind instruments.

I am gonna give it a shot soon. Seems like cheap fun. :)

9. Thaos627

Thaos627

i cant tell u anything about the kazoo, i havent ordered it yet but i do strive to be as annoying as possible with my music & i cant think of anything better.

why are you wanting a recorder in the first place? penny whistles, pan flutes, ocarinas & a whole lot more are better musically. i personally like piccolos & pan flutes for stuff but i cant imagine what kind of music you would make with a recorder other than awful.

10. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

I play the Irish ten-penny whistle. It's a much nicer sound than the recorder.

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  12. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Awesome idea to play recorder. I used to play in an ancient music ensemble. I still have the whole set from Sopranino to Bass. Definately buy quality.. it does make a difference in sound and playablity, especially in the upper octaves.
    Also, it can lead to playing an EWI and that could be a very cool experience.

13. Mugre

Mugre

I play recorder fairly seriously. I play both C and F fingerings. The alto is indeed a good place to start. There is the most solo literature available and its range is closest to the transverse flute. The Aulos are good but the standard for plastic are the 300 series yamahas.

14. Lady Kayri

Lady Kayri

Was a flutist going back to grade school. In junior high the whole class got to learn recorder playing. I was one of those who after a week was switched over to alto recorder. Perhaps the familiarity with flute helped, don't know. I enjoyed recorder so much my Dad bought me both a soprano and an alto recorder, still have both. All wood instruments, that was before they had the plastic ones for sale. Still love playing them off and on, much warmer tone that even the alto flute I own.