1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any regular blood donors here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pocketgroove, Nov 4, 2012.

1. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

I'm 19, been donating since I was 17. It's really rewarding, as most donors will say, but I procrastinate a lot because I get anxious about the process, even though it's not that bad. The scariest part for me is the finger prick. How do you guys deal with pre-donation jitters?

It's time to donate again for me, before the Red Cross starts calling every day offering to make an appointment. So...I don't know; thoughts, stories, anything to say about donating blood?
  2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Not me. I hate needles as much as I hate people!
  3. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

I don't have regular blood.
  4. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Used to be a regular donor. Over 10 gallons. Used to give every 56 days but I got sick and stopped. Been meaning to start again. Never had any problems. Liked the ear stick better than the finger I feel bad for the nurses who have to deal with the increasingly ridiculous rules. I would not do the apheresis. It just creeps me out. I like that when I give, my family is covered for any blood needs, God forbid they need it.
  5. tplyons

tplyons

Wish I could, but I'm on the list of people not to accept blood from: I lived in the UK for more than 6 months during 1980 and 1996.

I try to give back other ways.
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I donated about 3 gallons over the years. That is, until I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

After that, & the transfusions, & the chemo...well let's just say the Red Cross doesn't call with those reminders anymore.

But, did I mention I love my 2010 Precision V?
  7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

What do you mean? I take a lot of medications due to bi-polar disorder and back surgeries. I would definitely pass that on in my blood. Would they not want my blood? Or is there some other reason?

I have no problems with needles and my yearly tox screens show normal organ function every time. Ideally I would like to give back. I am just not sure what they do and do not want.
  8. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the hard luck some of you have had. Best wishes to everyone. I had a cousin who was in a traumatic accident not long ago, and it really drove home the purpose of donating blood.
  9. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

It's a pretty easy process to find out; they'll tell you everything you need to know if you go to donate, including a list of medications that would make a potential donor ineligible.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't donate blood, but some people just take it from me.
  11. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I've been deployed to Iraq, so I'm non-eligible. It's too bad, I actually don't mind :(

Peace,
    Greg
  12. cronker

cronker

Not eligible. Apparently because I identify as gay, regardless of my sexual activity, rules me out.
    I am celibate, but that makes no difference.
  13. MiJaKo

MiJaKo Supporting Member

Shortly after I started donating regularly at my work's blood drives, the Red Cross workers suggested I start donating platelets and plasma because I have AB blood. I've been doing that about once a month for 5 years. I figure it's the least I can do--sit there and squeeze a little ball for a couple of hours while I watch a movie. :^D
    As far as the pre-donation jitters, you'll overcome them in no time. I used to get a kick out of how hard they had to prick through my finger calluses before they started using the spring-loaded stickers.
    Good luck. It's a great thing that you can do for someone in need.
  14. RitchS

RitchS Supporting Member

It comes out mostly gravy. I only donate around Thanksgiving.

I served in Iraq 20 years ago and was told to not give blood. I was cool with that. Have you seen how they take blood?! They use needles man! I'd rather get in the ring with an mma fighter and just have them get it off the mat!
  15. spade2you

spade2you

Used to donate blood and eventually became a platelet donor. I stopped donating because my last 3-4 visits, I was having problems with blown veins. I don't know if it was with the nurses technique since most of the nurses at my hospital claim they could start an IV on me with their eyes closed due to fairly big veins. I'd quickly reconsider if it weren't a waste of both of our time and equipment.
  16. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I can't. Too many trips to places that have malaria.

lowsound
  17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Interesting, why is that listed as a no-no for donating in the US?

I donate any time I can, it's the only thing I've gotten an A+ in, though not exactly a great thing in this instance!

Hopefully be able get a position with a research group that I've done some work with, who are trying to mass produce universal blood (O-). Developing a process which should be cheaper and safer than relying on donations (particularly useful for places with no donation infrastructure, due to poverty and high disease occurance).
  18. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Something to do with Mad Cow disease, I believe.
  19. Grangur

Grangur

I always lived in the UK and they liked my blood. I gave a good number of times. I can't say I ever "liked" the actual donating, but you have to think of the good you're doing.

As a bass player the tough fingers may not be good for giving samples, so maybe you could ask them about taking it from somewhere else. Ears bleed well, so that could be good, or you could ask them to avoid the callouses. :D
  20. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

CJD, while a higher risk in the UK, didn't think it was that much higher (to be deemed something to avoid).