1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any (semi) hollow body-basses with a Fender-type headstock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToonD, Jan 17, 2014.

1. ToonD

ToonD

I really like the look of most (semi) hollow body basses, but I personally can't stand most of the headstock designs where they have 2 tuners on each side. To me it looks a bit dumb with 2 big tuners sticking out straight from each side. I have a warwick corvette which has the same thing, but they are on an angle and that kinda solves it for me.

So, are there any semi-hollow body guitars with a fender like headstock you know of? (except the Starcaster and Coronado, doesn't have to be Fender)

2. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

I don't know of any, other than the two Fender models you mentioned, but I am the opposite in terms of taste in headstock design.

I like the body of the Coronado. It's a lovely bass, until my eyes hit the headstock. To me, that classic Fender headstock shape looks completely out of place on that bass. On a Precision of Jazz it's fine, but to me seems wrong for that semi-hollow style of bass. Personally I think the two tuners on each side style looks far nicer.

All down to personal taste though! Hope you find one you are happy with.

3. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Sometimes you have to make your own Frankenstein. A friend made the body, applied the binding, and did the finishing. The neck is from Warmoth. The solid brass, chrome plated bridge and control plate were made by my dad. Powered by a SD custom stack single PU.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

I built this one.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lucyfur

lucyfur Supporting Member

You could keep your eyes open for one of these. They don't come up for sale very often. I bought one a few years back and I love it. It comes in both fretted and fretless models.

Attached Files:

7. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

A successor of the old Harmony single-cutaway H22 -- the H27 as I recall -- was a double-cutaway with the four-on-a-side Fender headstock. Hagstrom also made a hollow-body bass with this feature. And if you want to go REALLY obscure, the long-scale Fenderish neck of the Supro Taurus and violin basses will mate to the (even more obscure) National thinline semi-acoustic with the odd-shaped soundholes. Kay also made a semi-acoustic bass with a four-in-line headstock, but it looked nothing like Fender's.

8. Hou

Hou

That bass is awesome.

9. Hou

Hou

10. johnson79

johnson79

Godin are pretty damn close.

11. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It might be pretty expensive to get here in the States, but Fender Japan makes a hollow-body Jazz bass. http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/jb_ho.html

I've heard Ishibashi Music sells Fender Japan items to overseas customers. I'll bet a search would yield some posts about them. Oh, and here's the model they're currently selling. I don't know how much shipping would be, but the bass itself is going for between $1100 and $1200, based on the usual exchange rate.

http://translate.googleusercontent....370700&usg=ALkJrhgodQ6Uf4g4bHPEztjgECGTY19mbg

13. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Godin A4 or A5 might be the best alternative.

If you are considering the fender semi-acoustic models, look at the reviews and info out there and make sure it is what you want if you are looking in that direction too. Although they look great (the fenders), there has been talk about the piezo pickups being so so. The Godin A basses have a pretty good reputation for semi-acoustic.

14. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

ToonD, one thing that would help here is a description of the tone you are looking for. Do you want the "acoustic" sound, or mag pickups in a semi-hollow body which would provide a very different tone. Thanks!

15. G&L-Forever

G&L-Forever Supporting Member

Hi,

If anybody is interested, I'm selling a brand new Fender Japan JB-HO in the Talkbass classifieds, just posted today.

GLF

16. Milk

Milk

Funny...the reason I hate the Coronado lookwise is because of the fender headstock. If its a hollow or semi hollow it HAS to have 2/2 tuners in my opinion. Otherwise it looks like the neck belongs to a different bass...at least to me.

17. ciubz

ciubz

Hagstrom had a bass in the 60's with a fender type headstock, i think it was called concord.

18. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

I have a Japanese no-name hollow body with a Fender-esque headstock. It's not exactly Fender, because it's squared off a bit in spots. Everything about it is weird and cheezy, just like a Godzilla-meets-Bambi Japanese product from the 1960s should be. It has neck dive from hell, but it also has a big lower bout, so you can counteract the neck dive by resting your right forearm on it like you would if you were riding in a '69 Dart with the window rolled down. It's got an amazing thumpy sound, too. So there you have it, just find one of those and your search is over.

19. Down_Low

Down_Low

20. G&L-Forever

G&L-Forever Supporting Member