1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any Shell Pink Fans Out There?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tewtewvu, Dec 27, 2013.

1. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

So i've been lurking around TB for a little while and after some inspiration from reading a few threads, I've just built my first bass! well... really, I just bought a bunch of parts that i wanted in a bass and put it all together, and i must say i am very pleased with the way it turned out. Initially i thought it would be cool to build a Shell pink Jazz Bass because you don't really see many of them out there (at least i haven't, and in my opinion, i actually think it's an awesome color!) but the playability and the sound it outputs have really exceeded my expectations! I can't wait to show her off at my next gig! here's a link to pics of the bass from start to finish...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10101486710866676.1073741826.37519131&type=1&l=d96236d0cc

I Just wanted to see what you guys think of it. some of my friends (who are non musicians) just say, "hey that's cool" or whatever, but i want to show it off to real bassists. :hyper: I initially thought of going with a 70's maple neck/fretboard with pearl block inlays with pearloid pickguard but at the time, the rosewood neck and white guard were available and affordable. eventually i'll get there.

So, what do you think? if it was your build, what would you do differently? How would you make it your own? Do you already have a shell pink bass? Lets see them! ;) and oh! what would you name it??? :bassist:

2. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: y'know, rhythm AND blues! Supporting Member

Mine is still a work in progress...need to shim the neck and change out the pups. But I dig shell pink!!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1388127091.154835.jpg

3. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Your bass looks more like what I wanted. You've got that maple fretboard and the color is more "shell" pink than mine. That was the shade I really wanted, and that's how it looked like on the website I bought it from. But mine ended up a little more "pink" (if you will) than I wanted. But hey, in the end, I'm happy with the way it came out. Your bass looks great man!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mine's a little brighter than shell, I think.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Wow that Lakie is really gorgeous.

Got myself a metallic shell pink bass recently just for kicks. Took it to rehearsal, everyone likes it.

[​IMG]

7. bh2

bh2

Gotta love shell pink... I quite like most of the pastel colours, sonic blue especially.

8. Splods

Splods

I know a guy who loves pink basses...

9. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

I'll be honest, this particular bass right here was probably the main reason why I wanted a shell pink bass. It's why I wanted the maple neck with blocks and pearloid pickguard lol. Ugh, it's so beautiful!

10. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Really want a shell pink bass and am waiting for the right one to come along. May just have to do a Warmoth build. I could take of some major GAS if I did a short scale shell pink bass.

11. bh2

bh2

12. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest

It is a great color. I have a weird desire to make a funky refinish of a bass that has geometric portions of shell pink, azure, and tan.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Nice! Those Backlund basses look great.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

The OP's bass looks great, as do all the others. The pink Lakland is up there on my list of most beautiful basses.

I would love to have a shell pink jazz bass, but since I already have a chihuahua and a yorkie, I'm afraid people might get the wrong idea. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

15. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

I'll post a photo of my avatar bass later... proudly have 2 Yorkies.

16. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Everytime I see this I get major GAS. :bassist:

17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I've always wanted a Shell Pink jazz to go with my Pink Paisley Telecaster.
    [​IMG]

I assume the Shell Pink is a softer lighter pink than the paisley, is that correct?

18. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

Wow, never seen one of those before. I bet it's a beast of a bass!

19. tewtewvu

tewtewvu

20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Shell Pink is cool. I like this one but Munji's is still my fave... :cool:

21. lostrings

lostrings

Here is one I put together awhile back....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]