Any short scale basses that do NOT have neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stillwater, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Stillwater

Stillwater

Lately Ive become a short scale bass convert. I have really small hands for a guy, yet I managed to get by in the past playing long scale. But short scale feels so much more natural and effortless for me, so im sticking with it from now on.

Currently playing an Epiphone EB0. i like the bass alot, but I dont care for the neck heaviness. I got a wide suade strap and it makes it bearable, but doesnt eliminate the problem.

When it comes toime to upgrade, I would like to find a short scale bass that is well balanced and has either minimal or no neck dive.

The options I currently have:

Solid body:

Gibson EB3
    Fender Mustang
    Gretsch Electromatic G2220

Semi-Hollow:

Epiphone Rumblekat Allen Woody Signature
    Fender Coronado
    Fender Starcaster
    And the various hollow/semi hollow basses from Gretsch or Ibanez

The only other option would be to put together a bass with a Warmoth body and neck which i would also consider.

Thanks for the advice.

2. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Mustangs are pretty well balanced. Squier makes em too.

Ibanez's agb200 is well balanced

Hofner with the right strap is good too

3. acleex38

acleex38

What's your price range?

Birdsongs do NOT neck dive (I know the strap they use to test and it's thin and slippery and sucks and ANYTHING will neck dive on it, and the Birdsong basses don't). But we're talking a very different world from the Squiers and Epiphones.

If you want to stay in the non-custom price range, yeah, Mustangs are pretty cool. I don't hate the Squier Jaguars either, but I've never tested them with a strap standing up, so I have no valid input there.

4. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

A properly set up EB0 shouldn't neck dive much. You can't play it with the neck horizontal like you would a Fender. It will work much better with the neck closer to vertical, like an upright bass. When I play my EB-2, that's how it hangs, and it stays put just fine. If you don't like the neck close to vertical, then it is likely you won't be happy with any Gibson bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

That's about the only shortscale that does neckdive, and you can somewhat fix it with a bridge weight:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/291089250974
    More that I own that neckdive:
    Hamer Slammer w/two soapbars
    Dean EVO-XM
    Basically go with something that has an extended upper horn like most others.

7. Mugre

Mugre

The Squier Jaguar SS does have some neck dive. I keep meaning to change over to ultra lite tuners but I can't get a clear answer on which ones are a drop in fit and bass is my #3 instrument so solving the problem is a low priority.

Mugre

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The Squier Bronco and Mikey Way basses don't neck dive. I had a Squier Jag and I don't remember it having any significant neck dive. One of my other band members has it now and he LOVES it - has never mentioned any issue with neck dive. My '64 EB-0 has no neck dive. In general SG-bodied Gibsons and Epis with 30" scale necks should have little to no neck dive. In my experience, long scale necks on SG-bodies often have SEVERE neck dive. I'll never buy another SG-bodies bass that isn't 30" scale.

About the only short scale basses I have run into with neck dive are hollowbodies. In all the solid bodies I have had, the shorter neck has either totally or mostly prevented neck dive.

9. AudioCostUs

AudioCostUs

Landing Bass L-2.
    Gorgeous short scales.
    Mine was short, now is medium (32") with the new headstock.
    No neck dive whatsoever.
    An absolute pleasure.

10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

My Kramer Duke has no-by any definition of the term-neck dive at all. In fact, I actually have to hold the neck down slightly; with the right strap, though, it stays right where I want it to. If you can get past the fact that the Duke is a Steinberger-style headless bass with an aluminum neck, it's a great bass. It always amazes me to hear the huge sound that comes out of the little thing. I like mine a lot. :)

11. wardak

wardak

The Ibanez AGB200 doesn't dive, but the balance slightly favors the neck in stock form. The strap button near the neck is on the back and gives the bass a slight tendency to tilt forward or away. I plan to use a strap lock button in another spot to perfect this, maybe something like that can help create options for you, i.e. To rein in neck dive.

12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

You mentioned Gretsch Junior Jet. I have a 2202 and it has zero neck dive.

Your Epiphone EB having neck dive has nothing to do with it being a short scale. It's just poor design. The Epiphone/Gibson long scales do it, too.

13. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Rumblekat has slight neck dive.

Ultralight tuners fixed mine. No dive at all now.

14. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't speak for a Gibson EB3, but I have a copy, and it doesn't have neck dive.

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

gibson flying v reissue from 2012

16. MakoMan

MakoMan

Amazingly enough, the Squier Bronco bass is extremely well balanced. Mine has absolutely zero neck dive. You put it in the position you find comfortable and it will stay there all night.

17. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

18. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Anything where the upper horn is inline with the 12th fret should be fine.

19. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

My Squier SS Jag has some neck dive, but only enough to make it level with the floor. It is nothing like the Epiphone Viola that I had. Let go of the neck on that thing and the headstock took a voyage to the bottom of the room.