1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

any smokers switch to Vaping yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James Hart, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been a smoker for as long as I've been playing bass (since about 12 years old / 1980). I've quit a few times here and there but always end up back to them.

Anyway, about 30+ smokers at my office have started transitioning to electronic cigarettes (aka vaping). I've waited to see the level of results and finally made my own jump a few weeks ago.

If you are a smoker and looking to save money and live a bit healthier (yes it's still nicotine... but without inhaling burning tobacco and all it's additives) needs to check this stuff out.

Here is a cool newbie geared blog written by one of my coworkers
    http://www.kingsqueak.org/about/vaping-e-smoking-my-alternative-to-smoking-tobacco

I ended up following most of the other coworkers and bought most my starter stuff from www.vapor4life.com and a couple weeks later from www.altsmoke.com and www.bluemistvaping.com

So I'm right now sitting in my living room, enjoying a nice 'Cinnabun' flavored vape, I usually do either 'Coffee n Cream' or 'Fizzy Cola' during my day. My wife is EXTREMELY sensitive to cigarette smoke and she has even allowed me to do it in the car. She has even bought a few 'no nicotine' cartomizers in fruit flavors to substitute for mid day sweets.

Oh and at 3 weeks in, with at least an other month or 2 worth of supplies, I've broke even money wise :)
  2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

Very encouraging. I'm not going to make the transition--I'd rather quit first, besides part of the beauty is in the ritual.
  3. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

I don't find e-cigs to give a satisfying effect. At most it slightly reduces my consumption of normal cigs.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    yes indeed... every time I fell off the wagon it was for the mental / social aspect of smoking that sucked me back in. FWIW, I've always LOVED smoking. While vaping isn't smoking, to my mind, it is in every way... so I still exist within the ritual sans the lighter and the stink :smug:

Definitely read the blog I linked to... and check out some videos.

This guy is pretty informative and well spoken
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    I know a couple others that say the same thing... and that's cool. But I really think it's a matter of trying the wrong product / strength / flavor.

I am using a PG/VG blend to produce more vapor (actually more than a cigarette) and the 24mg nicotine strength. With a few weeks of searching, reading and talking to users... I was able to cold turkey cigarettes for vapor and have had ZERO desire to switch back.

But with everything, YMMV and IMHO... I'm just glad it worked for me :)

what kind of e-cigs do you have?
  6. IconBasser

IconBasser

just curious about how these things work: Which chemicals in cigarettes produce the "buzz", and how do the e-cigs emulate that, if at all?
  7. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

Its a nicotine vape.

But none of us smoke cigarettes for the buzz anymore, anyway.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Here is a snippit from the blog I linked to:

Nicotine is both physically and mentally addictive, it's said to be one of the hardest of all known drugs to stop.

Here is a bit from wiki:
  9. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

eh... just some noname brand they sell at my local sunoco. starter kit was $15. the cartridges are listed as normal flavor, high strength, or something like that.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    that might be why... I don't mean to preach and I have NO affiliation with anyone in the Vapor business, but definitely check out the info online if you are interested in giving it a better shot.

Oh, another plus to vaping... no more dulled smoker taste buds. I've begun to start noticing foods tasting better to me. Subtle things are becoming evident again :)
  11. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

Stop? Who the hell said anything about stopping?

I don't buy into the idea that drugs=bad.;)
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    right but I do buy into the idea that cancer=bad and cigarettes=stink ;)

I was responding to the 'no one smokes to get a buzz' statement... while it might not be numbing like most recreational drugs, there is definitely a 'buzz' to them :)
  13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

I don't think its numbing, for the record.

I think its mildly psychoactive, but not to a debilitating degree. That's the whole appeal, right?
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    okay, I'm confused and awake way later than I planned to be :)

Do you or don't you smoke for the effects of nicotine? I thought it was just for the beauty of the ritual :p
  15. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

Full disclosure-I've been getting acquainted with the bottle of whiskey since, well, much earlier this evening.

I smoke for the effects of the nicotine, but because of my tolerance, it rarely manifests itself as a buzz/headrush. In all practicality, I smoke because its a great way to break projects into more manageable chunks, because I enjoy the ritual of it, and because it has a great way of making me wake up and pay attention to what I'm doing (not dissimilar to a cup of coffee in that sense).

Hope that helps. Need to enjoy one more then go pass out, I think. :)
  16. hbarcat

hbarcat Gold Supporting Member

I never been a smoker but I've been thinking of taking up a bad habit. This vaping thing seems like just the ticket. :cool:

Edit: That was a joke. I don't want to try to get addicted to nicotine.

That would be supremely unsmart. :bag:
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:

awesome! :eyebrow: Seriously, I don't recommend anyone take up vaping nicotine who isn't already addicted to cigarettes.
  18. frianbisher

frianbisher

I tried V4L, didn't smoke a cig for 3 months then I got stressed at work and now I smoke more cigs than ever before :(
  19. Kosko

Kosko

I switched then quit. I think these e-cigs are a godsend.
  20. Thunderscreech

Thunderscreech

Oh. You all are talking about tobacco. Never mind.

I tried my friend's e-cig. It was okay, but the reason I started smoking was because roll-your-owns gave me something to do.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.