any smokers switch to Vaping yet?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James Hart, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been a smoker for as long as I've been playing bass (since about 12 years old / 1980). I've quit a few times here and there but always end up back to them.

Anyway, about 30+ smokers at my office have started transitioning to electronic cigarettes (aka vaping). I've waited to see the level of results and finally made my own jump a few weeks ago.

If you are a smoker and looking to save money and live a bit healthier (yes it's still nicotine... but without inhaling burning tobacco and all it's additives) needs to check this stuff out.

Here is a cool newbie geared blog written by one of my coworkers
    http://www.kingsqueak.org/about/vaping-e-smoking-my-alternative-to-smoking-tobacco

I ended up following most of the other coworkers and bought most my starter stuff from www.vapor4life.com and a couple weeks later from www.altsmoke.com and www.bluemistvaping.com

So I'm right now sitting in my living room, enjoying a nice 'Cinnabun' flavored vape, I usually do either 'Coffee n Cream' or 'Fizzy Cola' during my day. My wife is EXTREMELY sensitive to cigarette smoke and she has even allowed me to do it in the car. She has even bought a few 'no nicotine' cartomizers in fruit flavors to substitute for mid day sweets.

Oh and at 3 weeks in, with at least an other month or 2 worth of supplies, I've broke even money wise :)

2. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Very encouraging. I'm not going to make the transition--I'd rather quit first, besides part of the beauty is in the ritual.

3. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

I don't find e-cigs to give a satisfying effect. At most it slightly reduces my consumption of normal cigs.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    yes indeed... every time I fell off the wagon it was for the mental / social aspect of smoking that sucked me back in. FWIW, I've always LOVED smoking. While vaping isn't smoking, to my mind, it is in every way... so I still exist within the ritual sans the lighter and the stink :smug:

Definitely read the blog I linked to... and check out some videos.

This guy is pretty informative and well spoken

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    I know a couple others that say the same thing... and that's cool. But I really think it's a matter of trying the wrong product / strength / flavor.

I am using a PG/VG blend to produce more vapor (actually more than a cigarette) and the 24mg nicotine strength. With a few weeks of searching, reading and talking to users... I was able to cold turkey cigarettes for vapor and have had ZERO desire to switch back.

But with everything, YMMV and IMHO... I'm just glad it worked for me :)

what kind of e-cigs do you have?

7. IconBasser

IconBasser

just curious about how these things work: Which chemicals in cigarettes produce the "buzz", and how do the e-cigs emulate that, if at all?

8. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Its a nicotine vape.

But none of us smoke cigarettes for the buzz anymore, anyway.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Here is a snippit from the blog I linked to:

Nicotine is both physically and mentally addictive, it's said to be one of the hardest of all known drugs to stop.

Here is a bit from wiki:

10. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

eh... just some noname brand they sell at my local sunoco. starter kit was $15. the cartridges are listed as normal flavor, high strength, or something like that.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    that might be why... I don't mean to preach and I have NO affiliation with anyone in the Vapor business, but definitely check out the info online if you are interested in giving it a better shot.

Oh, another plus to vaping... no more dulled smoker taste buds. I've begun to start noticing foods tasting better to me. Subtle things are becoming evident again :)

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Stop? Who the hell said anything about stopping?

I don't buy into the idea that drugs=bad.;)

13. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    right but I do buy into the idea that cancer=bad and cigarettes=stink ;)

I was responding to the 'no one smokes to get a buzz' statement... while it might not be numbing like most recreational drugs, there is definitely a 'buzz' to them :)

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

I don't think its numbing, for the record.

I think its mildly psychoactive, but not to a debilitating degree. That's the whole appeal, right?

15. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    okay, I'm confused and awake way later than I planned to be :)

Do you or don't you smoke for the effects of nicotine? I thought it was just for the beauty of the ritual :p

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Full disclosure-I've been getting acquainted with the bottle of whiskey since, well, much earlier this evening.

I smoke for the effects of the nicotine, but because of my tolerance, it rarely manifests itself as a buzz/headrush. In all practicality, I smoke because its a great way to break projects into more manageable chunks, because I enjoy the ritual of it, and because it has a great way of making me wake up and pay attention to what I'm doing (not dissimilar to a cup of coffee in that sense).

Hope that helps. Need to enjoy one more then go pass out, I think. :)

17. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

I never been a smoker but I've been thinking of taking up a bad habit. This vaping thing seems like just the ticket. :cool:

Edit: That was a joke. I don't want to try to get addicted to nicotine.

That would be supremely unsmart. :bag:

18. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:

awesome! :eyebrow: Seriously, I don't recommend anyone take up vaping nicotine who isn't already addicted to cigarettes.

19. frianbisher

frianbisher

I tried V4L, didn't smoke a cig for 3 months then I got stressed at work and now I smoke more cigs than ever before :(

20. Kosko

Kosko

I switched then quit. I think these e-cigs are a godsend.

21. Thunderscreech

Thunderscreech

Oh. You all are talking about tobacco. Never mind.

I tried my friend's e-cig. It was okay, but the reason I started smoking was because roll-your-owns gave me something to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.