Any Squier Precision Bass Special Owners??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devinp17, Mar 1, 2014.

1. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Hey everyone. Does anyone own a Squier Precision Bass Special? Here's some pictures of the one I have:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I want to change the pickups to Seymour Duncans (not sure which ones though), but I've never played a P/J Bass with Seymours on it. So basically what I'm asking is; is it worth it? Do Seymour Duncan Pickups sound much better than the stock pickups currently on my bass? I'm guessing they will, but I want to know for sure before I go and buy some new pickups.

Thanks!

2. BastardCthulhu

BastardCthulhu

Here's mine. Just bought it at the beginning of this year. It's an '01, and when I bought it, the guard was a piece of linoeum. Yikes. I finally tracked down a guard that fit close enough, and with some verrrrry careful drilling, I got it installed. It's a work in progress, I'll be doing all black hardware, and possibly uupgrading the pups/electronics. Great bass for all the more I paid for it.

[​IMG]

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  4. rickwebb

rickwebb

I HAD two at one time. Great basses for the money.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have had quite a few over the years, as I like the neck profiles ... currently only have two left, I use them as loaners for students and youth starting out ... one is Shorline Gold, the other Pewter Metallic with matching headstock ... I consider them generally all for sale unless borrowed out, but I have hung onto the Pewter Metallic one as it is the lightest P Spec PJ I have ever found in the 7+ lb range ... great basses for what they are, especially with that Jazz neck profile for students hands .. the pups and pots are sufficient, but certainly could be 'improved on' if desired ...

Edit to add: ... all of mine have been from the now discontinued Standard Series ... I have not tried any recent ones from the Affinity Series ...

7. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

I love mine too! It's an awesome bass! Anyway, I was wondering how you tell what year it is?? I'm pretty sure they were made in the late 90's and early 00's, right? Except, I don't know how to tell the exact year... can anyone help?

8. BastardCthulhu

BastardCthulhu

You can tell by the serial #. The first numerals after the IC, or whatever, are the year of production.

9. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    I have two, and I love them.
    I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncans.
    A SPB-3 for the P, and a SJB-2 for the bridge.
    Angry, angry sounding bass.

10. devinp17

devinp17 Guest

Sounds sick man!

11. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I suggest the SPB-1 and the STK-2 JB pickups....both humbuckers, quiet, smooth FULL sound with both pickup on.....the best mix of pickups I have tried with my pj..
    just a thought.

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The Squier P-Bass Special was the first bass I ever wanted to own, specifically, the satin pewter edition with the matching headstock. It looked like a perfect starter for me; slick-as-hell looking (former art student here…it's gotta be esthetically pleasing), inexpensive (what if I lost interest or figured bass wasn't by bag?) and most of all, a "best of both worlds bass". Unfortunately, when I finally decided to pull the trigger on it, I found out the hard way that the Standard Line had been discontinued for two or three years. :bawl:

My first bass ended up being a Fender Aerodyne which shares a number of specs with the P-Bass Special; mainly, the Jazz neck and a P/J configuration. And though it is an incredibly lovely bass that I got for an excellent price, part of me just would not let go of the PBS. To get all quasi-literary an' junk, "She tasks me, and I shall have her!"

Fast forward to six months of fruitless web surfing and phone calls later, I found a beautiful refurbished model at a very reasonable price via fretjoe and his eBay store. (Mad thanks, Joe…wherever you are!)

Behold…My Sexy Beast!
    [​IMG]

The only mods I've done is to replace the pickguard screws with black finished ones. I prefer the black-on-black look with black pickguards. For the time being I'll be leaving it stock. Outside of installing a Hipshot Drop-D tuner, I don't know if I bring myself to do anything more to it. And speaking of mods…

If you haven't figured it out already, the Standard series deviated from Fender's "footprint" in a bunch of little (and flippin' annoying!:mad:) ways. I've learned this the hard way while trying to mod a number of P-Bass Specials and Jazzes. For example, the bridge route is probably sized for a neck pickup, not a wider bridge pickup. Would a pair of SD pickups make it sound better? Probably, especially if they're humbuckers. That, plus some shielding, would probably make yours sound as deep as it'll be quiet.

13. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski Supporting Member

Yeah, I kinda-sorta have the same bass as you... Replaced the neck with a '62 Fender Jazz (all with the reversed tuners) Replaced the bridge, and installed Quarter Pounder Pups...

Yummy! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Bassman Ski

That is gorgeous sir!

15. Bassman Ski

Regarding pickups, I originally changed them out with active EMG's and just HATED it... The E string was BOOMING! and yet the G string would fade off into the sunset somewhere. I changed over to the SD 1/4 pounders and they just sound beautiful. I actually changed all my P-basses to SD pups. Your mileage may vary but I have been satisfied.

16. Malak the Mad

17. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yep.
    [​IMG]

Converted to fretless
    SD Quarterpounder P, SD Hot Stack J. CTS pots/switchcraft jack, fully shielded. Warmoth black pearloid pickguard.

18. Bassman Ski

What kind of fretless neck did you go with?

19. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

These are TERRIFIC basses - I had 2, and recently sold one to thin the flock. I keep the other as as backup backup. It was so cheap (used) it is simply not worth selling. It plays and sounds great - I would not change anything. I put some D'Addario XLs on it for a brighter sound, but Sunbeams would also work well on this bass.

It is good enough as-is. Not worth changing. If a pot or jack breaks, put in a better one, but other than that - leave it!

20. Malak the Mad

Do you mean the Standard Jazz with the same paint job and matching headstock? Something like this…

[​IMG]

…because I had one too. I traded it for a Squier Jaguar. It may seem like an uneven trade, but it was to hand off to the daughter of a co-worker who seemed to be interested in learning bass. Sadly, she didn't stick with it (college and all that distraction), but it was worth taking the chance.

The truly sad and funny thing was that I spotted a Craigslist ad posted by the guy I did the trade with for it and his amp. (I guess he didn't take to it much either) I would've pounced and made it mine once again but he'd already sold it. Ah well.

If I were to get my hands on another one, I'd probably mod the hell out of it; do a P/J conversion, pickup upgrades and change it to a black control plate and Hipshot hardware. Y'know, make it look real sinister and tough.

21. ThisKid

ThisKid

yes! i do have one! its all black rosewood fret board and it is actually my main player in my band! i love this bass so much! it sounds so good. the neck is straighter than an arrow the action is perfectly adjusted. no buzz no intonation problems! it looks like this i dont have an actual picture, just never got around to it!

[​IMG]