1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any teachers in Boston?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SpiderMan, Dec 20, 2000.

1. SpiderMan

SpiderMan

I am learning to play bass and was wondering if there were any bass tachers in the Boston/Brighton Area.

2. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Spiderman,

Pleasure to see you post. I followed your adventures in Marvel comics as a kid. You should fill out your profile.

I just moved from Brighton (behind St.E's) to Quincy. I could have given you some lessons to start out but now I'm a little out of the way. If you're willing to go out of Brighton you may want to get in touch with Bruce Gertz who's over in Malden. He's pretty much #1 jazz dude in Boston. I recently took a lesson with Mike Rivard (another Boston dude-plays with Club D'Elf over at the Lizard Lounge) Bass Player featured Mike a couple of months ago but what an pretentious assh*%e he turned out to be-I never went back.

If I were you I'd go over to Berklee and see if you could get any of the bass faculty to give you lessons. Why not settle for the best and most of them take private students on the side. I know Gertz does, I studied with him a while ago and he's faculty. If not there go over to Wally's on Mass Ave. and ask any of those monsters to give you lessons.

Sorry for writing you a book.
  3. oddentity

oddentity

I took bass lessons from Bob Nieske while I attended Boston College a few years ago. He's a double bassist, but AFAIK he gives lessons to both double and electric bassists (I play electric). I highly recommend him... I don't have any contact info but if you do a search for his name on the web or for his group, Wolf Soup, you should find an e-mail address or something.

btw, jimmysquid - I used to live in Brighton too, at Comm Ave and Washington... I miss Boston!
  4. SpiderMan

SpiderMan

%Thanks so much for your help. I actually work at Boston College so I guess that will be my first avenue. But you guys gave me some great options and I appreciate it.
  5. oddentity

oddentity

No way! Where do you work? I graduated from BC in '97, and worked for Dining Services my whole time there. :)

My sophomore year, Ed Friedland gave bass lessons on Newton campus (what a cool guy), but then he moved out west and Bob Nieske took over. Most of the time they used Mary House on Newton for lessons, but in my last semester, my lessons with Bob were in Lyons Hall, on the music department's floor. If you go up to the music dept., I'm sure they can recommend people, if Bob's no longer giving lessons at BC...
  6. SpiderMan

SpiderMan

Oddenity

I grew up in Andover and went to school in Richmond, Va.
    I just moved back and I now work in the athletic department
    selling tickets for games. Thanks again for the tip.
    I'll give the music dept. a call after break. If you ever need tix for a game let me know.

Spiderman
  7. RileyHagan

RileyHagan

I teach Bass Lessons in Boston. My name is Riley Hagan and I've been teaching Bass Guitar for 7 years.
    Check out my site: http://basslessonsunlimited.com

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, email, or call.
  8. Hoover

Hoover

Ha! I lived on Claymoss Road (1 block away from the Comm Ave/Washington intersection) for 3 years, back in the early 1990s!
  9. Kobaia

Kobaia

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    Depeding on your genre Berklee should have a teacher that matches what you're into.

Jazz- Bruce Gertz, John Lockwood or Ron Mahdi
    Latin- Oscar Stagnaro, Fernando Huergo
    Blues- Danny Morris
    Funk R&B- Anthony Vitty, Lenny Stallworth
    Rock- Joe Santarre
    Fusion- Lincoln Goines, Bruno Raberg
    Classical- Barry Smith
  10. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

I have been interested in learning Carol Kaye's method...anyone have any experiences with Oz Barron or Tom Stein?
  11. mikedyermusic

mikedyermusic

I'm teaching bass lessons in Back Bay Boston right now. Go to my website for information about me and my teaching.
    http://www.mikedyermusic.com