Any users of a Danelectro Cool cat transparent overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Jan 9, 2014.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Any transparent overdrive users out there? Searched through all the TB threads but only found:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/danelectro-cc-transparent-overdrive-v1-sound-test-826606/

Haven't seen many reviews for use on bass. I'm after a clean boost for my Ashdown valve head that's cheap but does the job. Having some optional OD that can also kick in would be a bonus too. So can anyone tell me how well it does a clean boost? Also whats the OD like? Any loss of low end? I've seen one review that said it cut some high end with the OD. Have other people found this too?

My alternative would just be a EHX LPB-1 but then it would only do clean and i dont want to miss out on a tasty OD sound if i ever want it

2. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have a v1 and v2.
    Both sound great with bass.

3. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Any good as a clean boost without effecting the tone?

4. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    Tbh I've never really used them as such for that purpose. Ill have a tinker and see ( hear!)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. themarshall

themarshall

Last time I saw mine, my buddy Mike was using it. I "used" it for 6 or so gigs and remembered to turn it on about 2X. I liked it, but decided to quite dragging it around, so I turned it over to my brother, who promptly gave it to Mike to try. IDK about any clean boost capability.

7. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

That's why i love TB! :hyper:

8. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

:hyper: Had time to tinker yet Crapusername

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I've got the V1, its a good piece..apparently a copy of a 'Timmy' pedal.

I also use a Turborat & Turbo Tubescreamer, all for guitar but I have used them with bass with great results too.

10. Voss451

Voss451

I have a V1 that I used regularly when I played live. It probably will add a little bit of grit to your tone when up past 1/2 way but before that, it stays fairly clean.

11. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Does it alter the tone though before it gets really dirty? If it doesn't or is v subtle that would work for me

12. Voss451

Voss451

It has both bass & treble controls so it is very tweakable. I'm messing with it now and to my ears it sounds fairly neutral. I have the volume at about 2 o'clock and the gain at around 9 o'clock and it's just barely starting to break up.

13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Its not a clean boost like some ....it adds just a bit of grit at its lowest gain settings imo.

It may vary with your rig fwiw.

14. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    Sorry Boris- been super busy. I'll get to tinker either this afternoon or tomorrow!