Any value to vintage bass cases? Fender Jazz w/ tail logo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Band Dad, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

Is there any special value to older Fender cases? I'm talking, in this case, about a Jazz case from between '67 and '71 (by my research).

It has the plastic logo with the "tail". Condition must matter, I'm sure, and mine is a bit rough, but latches work, the logo is there, etc.

Does it matter much that a bass has a case that fits its age, even if it's a bit beat up? Or does the case not matter much as far as adding anything to the "package"

Not talking high-end here, by any means. The bass itself is an Electra from the early 70's, so the case fits as far as being appropriate for the era. This case came with this Electra.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

There are definitely people out there who are willing to pay collector's prices for vintage cases. It really can also add to the value of a vintage instrument to have the period correct, or even better, the "original" case included.

There are also collectors who would love to have the vintage Electra.

I think (IMHO) that your best bet would be to sell them separately. They don't exactly compliment each other, from the collectable perspective, even if from the same period.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Well the typical black case from that era can be 150 to 200 bucks depending on condition.
    But when it comes to vintage Fenders up for sale, the case can be a bonus, but not the deciding factor, since the merits of the bass needs to be the deciding factor. Not only that, but vintage Fender prices are all over the board, they dont sell at flat consistant prices. So....

7. SirMjac28

+1

8. Band Dad

Band Dad

Wow, quick responses, and valuable info!

2cooltoolz's advice to sell separately, is well taken. Actually, I was thinking of swapping the case with another case that my son has, so the case with lesser value would go out with the Electra.

And the Electra is something I'm only beginning to appreciate, after Googling to find out just what I have.

I'll start another thread regarding the bass itself. I'd like to know more about it.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

9. Band Dad

Band Dad