1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Any Yamaha Bass Players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deoindra, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Deoindra

Deoindra

2. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

I have a 1986 Motion B that I bought new.

[​IMG]
  3. rhp335

rhp335

I have a Motion B I gave to my son. I used to gig with it a little. Great sound for a med scale bass. The push pull circuit almost makes it feel like active EQ.

I occasionally gig with my yamaha BB415 which has a ton of presence and kicks ass on root and reggae material.
  4. Deoindra

Deoindra

Haha now thats what I call a bass, you ever play it?!?!:hyper:
  5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Long ago a BB1200S was my main bass. Great bass too, but I hated the color (green basses and I don't tend to get along well).
  6. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

Not as much as I used to. Here is a picture from a party from 3 years ago.

[​IMG]
  7. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

My first bass was a red RBX300. I put in an EMG P.

Dumb and effective. Still have it in a basement in Europe for when I want to play over there.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha basses are underrated and underdiscussed. The craftsmanship is first-rate in the price range, and their high-end basses are second to none in tone, fit and finish. I have a TRB5P-II, and it is a fantastic sounding bass - it sounds as good as it looks. Neck-through with ash body, ovankol top and ebony 'board. Piezo pickups, too.

[​IMG]
  9. FourBanger

FourBanger

I feel their low-end basses are fantastically built but perceived as boring. I have now owned three RBX170s and all but the very oldest were great playing basses. The oldest one got a hump in the fretboard after about 11 years.
  10. zachoff

zachoff

I have a '79 BB800 and '80 BB1000. Neither are my main basses, but both are played quite a bit at home and used for recording. One's tuned to E standard and one to D standard... Different string gauges and setups... All that crap. They're my P-est sounding basses but are a bit more aggro than a Fender and I love them.
  11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I have three 1984 MIJ BB5000s. One is fretless. I have no idea why anyone would buy anything else. I've NEVER needed any other electric bass.

Especially after reading through the horror-story of a fellow TBer BLOWING $5000 on an poorly made Alleva-Coppolo SX-copy. :D

One can get a MUCH finer instrument in a Yamaha bass, and for less money.

Let's keep them underrated, under discussed, and under the radar.

Others can go out and blow large wads of cash on coffee-table-looking, over-hyped, over-priced instruments.
  12. NoShogun

NoShogun

First bass was an RBX 774, just got a BB1200s. Both are fantastic basses.

I'd say that Yamaha is the hidden gem of the bass world.
  13. Mound of Sound

Mound of Sound Supporting Member

I have a BB425 that I bought here about a year ago. Fantastic value. The passive P tone cuts through nice. Definitely worth the money and then some.
  14. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

used to be, lets see........there was a BB 1000, a 1600, a couple 3000's (fretted and fretless) my favorite was the BB 450, bought used for $200 and played hard for a decade or more. Finally gave it to my nephew who plays it in a church band.
  15. Deoindra

Deoindra

Nice man!
  16. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

Been playing Yamaha Attitude basses for years.
    I have a Blue LTD 1, Seafoam Green LTD 2 and a Black LTD 3.
    The LTD 2 will be getting a Kahler tremolo installed on it shortly!
  17. Hidesert

Hidesert Supporting Member

I have two Yamaha BB3000S basses from the early 80's MIJ production.
    No drama ever, structurally, electronically, or otherwise. Just great playing, fine sounding, beautifully crafted instruments.
    I still monitor the BB basses when they come up for sale. I think that a good example can be had for a bargain.
  18. GirouxJB

GirouxJB Supporting Member

I had a TRB1006 for about a year and just got rid of it at the beginning of the summer. The bass was awesome. Great feel, great sound, I just couldn't adjust from 4 to 6 string. If it had been a 5er I'de still have it.

[​IMG]
  19. eriky4003

eriky4003

These basses sit nicely in the pocket. I owned a BB300 which was supposed to be the back-up to my Ricky 4003. After being really impressed with its tone, I picked between those two basses based on which one had newer strings. Based on that Yamaha experience, I purchased the BB5GS five-string which is my main gigging bass these days.
  20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have an SBV-500. I bought it because I liked the styling of it. I had low expectations for the sound, and was amazed to find that not only did it sound great, but it was beautifully built. I'm surprised Yamaha discontinued this line.

[​IMG]

Mine is exactly like the blue one. I don't think I've ever seen the p/j model.