1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any Yamaha Bass Players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deoindra, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Deoindra

Deoindra Supporting Member

2. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

I have a 1986 Motion B that I bought new.

[​IMG]

3. rhp335

rhp335

I have a Motion B I gave to my son. I used to gig with it a little. Great sound for a med scale bass. The push pull circuit almost makes it feel like active EQ.

I occasionally gig with my yamaha BB415 which has a ton of presence and kicks ass on root and reggae material.

4. Deoindra

Haha now thats what I call a bass, you ever play it?!?!:hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Long ago a BB1200S was my main bass. Great bass too, but I hated the color (green basses and I don't tend to get along well).

7. fdorn

fdorn Supporting Member

Not as much as I used to. Here is a picture from a party from 3 years ago.

[​IMG]

8. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

My first bass was a red RBX300. I put in an EMG P.

Dumb and effective. Still have it in a basement in Europe for when I want to play over there.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yamaha basses are underrated and underdiscussed. The craftsmanship is first-rate in the price range, and their high-end basses are second to none in tone, fit and finish. I have a TRB5P-II, and it is a fantastic sounding bass - it sounds as good as it looks. Neck-through with ash body, ovankol top and ebony 'board. Piezo pickups, too.

[​IMG]

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

I feel their low-end basses are fantastically built but perceived as boring. I have now owned three RBX170s and all but the very oldest were great playing basses. The oldest one got a hump in the fretboard after about 11 years.

11. zachoff

zachoff

I have a '79 BB800 and '80 BB1000. Neither are my main basses, but both are played quite a bit at home and used for recording. One's tuned to E standard and one to D standard... Different string gauges and setups... All that crap. They're my P-est sounding basses but are a bit more aggro than a Fender and I love them.

12. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

I have three 1984 MIJ BB5000s. One is fretless. I have no idea why anyone would buy anything else. I've NEVER needed any other electric bass.

Especially after reading through the horror-story of a fellow TBer BLOWING $5000 on an poorly made Alleva-Coppolo SX-copy. :D

One can get a MUCH finer instrument in a Yamaha bass, and for less money.

Let's keep them underrated, under discussed, and under the radar.

Others can go out and blow large wads of cash on coffee-table-looking, over-hyped, over-priced instruments.

13. NoShogun

NoShogun

First bass was an RBX 774, just got a BB1200s. Both are fantastic basses.

I'd say that Yamaha is the hidden gem of the bass world.

14. Mound of Sound

Mound of Sound Gold Supporting Member

I have a BB425 that I bought here about a year ago. Fantastic value. The passive P tone cuts through nice. Definitely worth the money and then some.

15. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

used to be, lets see........there was a BB 1000, a 1600, a couple 3000's (fretted and fretless) my favorite was the BB 450, bought used for $200 and played hard for a decade or more. Finally gave it to my nephew who plays it in a church band.

16. Deoindra

Nice man!

17. Atomic Al

Atomic Al

Media:
    Been playing Yamaha Attitude basses for years.
    I have a Blue LTD 1, Seafoam Green LTD 2 and a Black LTD 3.
    The LTD 2 will be getting a Kahler tremolo installed on it shortly!

18. Hidesert

Hidesert

I have two Yamaha BB3000S basses from the early 80's MIJ production.
    No drama ever, structurally, electronically, or otherwise. Just great playing, fine sounding, beautifully crafted instruments.
    I still monitor the BB basses when they come up for sale. I think that a good example can be had for a bargain.

19. GirouxJB

GirouxJB

I had a TRB1006 for about a year and just got rid of it at the beginning of the summer. The bass was awesome. Great feel, great sound, I just couldn't adjust from 4 to 6 string. If it had been a 5er I'de still have it.

[​IMG]

20. eriky4003

eriky4003

These basses sit nicely in the pocket. I owned a BB300 which was supposed to be the back-up to my Ricky 4003. After being really impressed with its tone, I picked between those two basses based on which one had newer strings. Based on that Yamaha experience, I purchased the BB5GS five-string which is my main gigging bass these days.

21. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I have an SBV-500. I bought it because I liked the styling of it. I had low expectations for the sound, and was amazed to find that not only did it sound great, but it was beautifully built. I'm surprised Yamaha discontinued this line.

[​IMG]

Mine is exactly like the blue one. I don't think I've ever seen the p/j model.