1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Any younger bassists on here?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ImJustDez, Mar 23, 2014.

1. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

I've noticed that a lot of the members on this site are much older and I was wondering where they younger ones were, out of curiosity. I myself at 15, turning 16 in April.
    Now, what got you guys into bass? Who are you inspirations and whatnot? I ask this because the older guys are saying bassists from a bit back and I wanted to see what made bass interesting to the younger generation.

2. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

I'm not sure how old you consider to be younger, but I am 20 now. I first picked up the bass when I was 16. I can't honestly say that I knew any bassists by name at the time, but bass lines always stuck out to me. I liked how they were so needed in music even when the average listener has no idea how much of an impact the bass has.

Before I started playing, Play That Funky Music and Another One Bites the Dust were my favorite bass lines. This may sound crazy, but the movie Scott Pilgrim Vs the World was a big contribution to my final decision to pick up a bass... I guess that does certainly make me a younger player. haha

3. Volpe25

Volpe25

Im 18 and started playing almost 4 years ago. I started solely because all my friends at the time were learning to play guitar and I just didn't want to be yet another guitar player. So I picked up a bass and once I delved into the solo scene with bassists like victor wooten, jaco, evan brewer, I saw the bass and instruments as a whole completely differently. Rather than being a bassist, I saw myself as a musician who's means of expression was a bass. Which is how I found myself wandering to extended range basses and loop pedals.

4. RandomBox

RandomBox

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Yes you're still very young. But I was actually going to learn some bass lines from that movie! Bass Battle any time soon? :bassist:

7. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Well for me, I actually started on guitar. I was never good with chords but I could actually solo pretty well. I started looking a bit more into bass after I noticed how much a bass was needed, how no one every payed attention to it, and how good it sounded when played right so after a while I was like, "why not?" and I bought one. I really have fallen in love with this instrument. I have a MusicMan S.U.B. series and I love it.
    Also, I play tuba and bass trombone, I am meant for the low instruments.

8. BloodlessWar

BloodlessWar

Sure! The only lines I don't know from that movie are Todd's parts in the bass battle scene. His playing gets kinda crazy.

9. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Oh boy, I'll try my best to learn those then

10. moshspeggeti

moshspeggeti

Media:
    I'm 16, started playing bass last year as a result of Listening to Primus, Les Claypool really inspired me to play bass... I also play bass because I feel the instrument speaks to me. I feel the different funky sounds you can make with a bass is really more diverse and cool sounding than the sounds of a guitar. Also... there's like 500 guitarists per 1 Bass player.

11. VekelTheMan

VekelTheMan

I'm 15 currently but am turning 16 in April as well.

I picked up the bass because of my band and from there on it was magic!

Chris Wolsteholme of Muse and Les Claypool are my biggest influences.

12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Im 17, turning 18 in october. I, too have realized the age differences on TB. The other day in Off Topic, i posted a screenshot from Zelda, Ocarina of time of Zoras (the thread was about fish), and only one younger guy understood my joke.

Back to bass. Well, I think I got into bass because of all the stereotypes. I was weird and funny looking and introverted when i picked up bass nearly 5 years ago, so i just thought "man, i must be perfect for this". I was always searching for bass inspiration, from geddy lee (first bass idol) to victor wooten, to jaco, to john myung, back to jaco, and everything in between. I love music with active bass, with musical bass. Today I consider myself an adequate bass player (and not weird, introverted or funny-looking lol), and am always trying to push my capabilities with new techniques, as well as by exposing myself to new musical genres and ideas. However, I still think its tons of fun to just jam out on this every once in awhile :)

13. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    OK who else read this thread HOPING it was someone near your age group only to wind up feeingl really old???

14. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

The offspring! Good band Mann. I love jamming around to music like that too.

15. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

Oh boy, how old are you? xD on the contrary, I'm feeling super young.

16. ImJustDez

ImJustDez

What's your band man??

17. deeptubes

deeptubes

*puts hand up*

18. spanndrew

spanndrew

I'm 19, been playing a year. Dan Briggs from BTBAM was my inspiration to do so. But mainly just knowing about 20 guitarists and drummers but not a single bassist. I wanted to do something different.

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

I started when I was 11. There's some really excellent bassists in new bands these days, on the heavier side of things the bassist from Helms Alee gets the sickest crunch, they are on tour with RussianCircles which is also an amazing, more recent band for heavy/ instrumental music. Both inspiring players... Rhydian(sp?) from the Joy Formidable does some really interesting stuff under the layers and layers of guitar on their records.
    But even though these recent bands inspire me I guess i'm disqualified because I just turned 44 lol.

20. OneAri

OneAri

turned 18 at the weekend, picked up bass when I was 13 because some friends needed a bassist for a band and we're few and far between (c'mon let's face it :bag:). Big influences after that were Andy Nicholson, John Paul Jones and Nick Olivieri

21. oniman7

oniman7

I'm 18 but joined Talkbass when I was 14... I've learned an immeasurable amount here.