1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anybody changes to new strings and still enjoying them?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

So whether it was just a brand or even type of strings (stainless steels, flatwounds etc.) did you changed the strings you have been using for a while for something else and do you still enjoy them?

For me it's Pyramid stainless steels. I tried a lot of strings : 'D Addario, Ernie Ball Music Man, GHS, EBS but I still prefer the Pyramids.

By the way, happy new year!

2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

After changing to Rotosound steels, ill probably never go back.

3. Thomas Kievit

Great, how long have you been using them now?

4. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

I suppose for a year now. There's a great midrangy, throaty presence to them that you really can't get with other strings, they have a very unique sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    After playing ever stainless string in the world trying to find the one I ended up with D'Adarrio nickles and couldnt be happier.

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    +1
    I went this way years ago...

"D'Adarrio nickles Die Slow"

8. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

XL nickle user forever...tried others here and there and...... meh

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Haven't considered anything else for my 4 strings since changing to DR Dragon Skins.

On my 5 strings, it's Fodera Nickels because they have a tapered .135 :)

10. JoeDemo

JoeDemo

Recently made the change to the new Labella RX Stainless Steel strings per recommendation from Jason at basstringsonline....Can't say enough good things about them!!!! sound great, feel great and so far they have made it through six 4 hour gigs and still sound GREAT!!!!!

11. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis

I went from DR Roundwounds to Status Flats. Loved them...at first. After 6 months or so I began to wish that my E and B strings had more definition. I've literally just put a pair of Ken Smith Compressores on which I'm hoping will be the best of both worlds. I certainly love the tone they're giving me thus far!

12. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

13. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

No way! It was such a lengthy (and expensive) process finding strings that worked right for me that if I can avoid having to go through that again I'll happily stick w/ what I know. Been using the same string brand on (almost) all my basses now for almost 30 years.

14. Thomas Kievit

And which brand is that my friend? :)

15. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Ken Smith

16. Gonzo64

Gonzo64

I was a DR HighBeam devotee, until I bought a used StingRay with Labella Deep Talkin' Flats on it. I doubt I'll ever change to a different string now.

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

I went from using EB Hybrid Slinkies for years to using DR Low Riders and r Low Beams and I have to say, I LOVE the DR's. They are just a superior string on so many ways IMO and for me. Feel better, play better, sound better, last longer. I will probably not switch up strings for a very long time. DR's rock!!

18. Stingray5

Stingray5

I used DR low riders for the longest time, and when I got my SR5 I found that I liked the sound and feel of the EB Slinkys better on that bass. I've been using super Slinkys on all my basses ever since.

19. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Another D'Addario nickel guy. I have tried them all and keep coming back.

20. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

For about 8 years I used Elixir. Started trying out steels last year and have been trying all the brands different steels since. Going to try Elixir one more time but EB steels may be my new go to for my main bass.

My old Squier just got a set of Labella white tapes for x-mas (courtesy of my wife) and I love them on that bass. I wouldn't use them on any other of my basses but they are perfect for that. I'll never need new strings for that bass.

21. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

i've been using nothing but Thomastick-Infeld Flats and SuperAlloys for the last 5 years. couldn't be happier.
    the SuperAlloys on my Pbass are over a year old, and they still make me smile!