1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anybody doing it on their own?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dDaddybass, Nov 23, 2012.

1. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

There are so many threads about bands, I was wondering about some of the how to's on doing it solo. You know like, bass players playing solo, looping and such. How are you getting gigs, and where are you gigging. Anything related to doing it on your own.
  2. abemo

abemo

I did it for a bit, no looping, just creative use of chords and droning notes. As for gigs? A few open mics before I realized the market just wasn't there. At least not here.
  3. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

No law against a bass player learning to play chords on a guitar.

I enjoy that, myself, and although I don’t play out with it, I might someday.
  4. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I think you'd find it tough going with just a bass, no matter how good a singer you are. I play in a duo, with a girl who plays both keyboards and bass (I play guitar). She's also a fantastic singer and very easy on the eye as well. We've been together for over 4 years and are never short of gigs.

One thing's for sure: you certainly make more money with a good solo act or a duo. A guitarist and bass is fine, so long as both of you can sing (gotta have those harmonies).
  5. bluewine

bluewine

Sounds like a good idea, however you would get 6 gigs a year tops in Milwaukee.

Blue
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

I play bass and/or guitar in a working band and also maintain a couple of duo projects, as well as playing solo acoustic guitar and singing. To be honest, there is little to no demand for a solo bass player, even among us bass players. Hitch your wagon to a good singer/songwriter. I got lucky, and one of my duo projects is with an extremely talented and regionally popular songwriter. Together we get as many gigs as we care to play. Concerts, house concerts, private affairs and such.
  7. bassfran

bassfran

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    I've done a few one-off solo bass shows for fun. It's not something I would make any real $ at as there doesn't seem to be much of a market for it.
  8. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I only know of a few guys around here that have tried it. Honestly, I am a bass player, and I wouldn't pay to see some guy playing solo bass.
  9. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Sadly, the only good way to make a living as a solo bass player is through your day job.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

And the overtime for Friday and Saturday nights ... ;)
  11. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

My singer/guitarist is also a solo bassist and he does pretty well with it. The catch with him is he doesn't fall into the pitfalls of most solo bassists, he makes compelling instrumental music and it just so happens he uses a bass to make it. There isn't really a market for solo bassists. Solo musicians who play bass could have a chance.
  12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Thank You.
  13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

lol and +1(2)
  14. dDaddybass

I'm not talking about packing a club. I'm talking coffee shop type gigs. And no, I'm not talking about trying to make a living doing it. Looping, whatever to make it interesting. I for one can appreciate solo bass when done tastefully.
  15. dDaddybass

Thank you!
  16. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

I used to quite a bit, and probably will again soon. Not solo, but with just a drummer and myself. I played guitar and guitar synth a bit of the time, maybe as much as 30% some nights. My voice couldn't handle a whole night, so we often split bills with one other band who were great at hustling gigs for weirdos.

My drummer and I also worked as a rhythm section for a few jazz and blues acts to keep getting a regular paycheck a possibility. We still do a house band open mike gig once a month and have everyone else clear the stage for a set if the crowd seems receptive.

I came through the jam band route and also have worked casually at being a legit jazz player for around 35 years -- both situations that allowed for lots of soloing experience. I don't actually solo all that much in the duo format though, or use loopers for layering. I do use heavily processed vocals and a rackfull of bass and guitar processors though. I feel that a stereo rig is a big help in selling this sort of music. Heck, I also have enough gear for a whole band on stage just for myself...;)

I gained a certain amount of acceptance mostly by persistence. I can draw 75 to 100 or so people pretty easily in a few local joints, not counting random patrons who are going to be there anyway. So I make as much or more than the rather lean band share that passes for pay out here these days (and also work three times as hard).

If you have something interesting to say musically I feel that it will come out in the wash eventually. Best of luck, and have fun!

PS: you might also check out Michael Manring's and Steve Lawson's forum in the TB Pro section.
  17. dDaddybass

Thanks for the constructive reply. It's funny you mentioned the stereo thing, I started a thread about a few days ago. I'll check out Micheal and Steve's forum, thanks.
  18. F-Clef-Jef

F-Clef-Jef

I kinda like this guy (and gal)... solo bass, (but its tuned like a piccollo) They have some kinda groovin' tunes.
  19. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

I posted a pic of one of my stereo rigs in that thread.

I've had the pleasure of seeing both Steve and Michael playing in solo contexts. I drove 5+ hours to hear Michael a few months ago, and to attend one of his clinics the next day. Highly recommended if the chance presents itself.
  20. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Zander Zon who also posts here on TB has some brilliant originals and cover arrangements on solo bass. My bandmate who I mentioned is worth checking out for his unique use of a bow on the YouTube as well. His name is Darin Schaffer. I do some solo bass work as well but it is very niche oriented in that it is very ambient based. I have only played live a few times and that was always for free for my enjoyment. If I ever get time and motivation to really play out solo more I will. My band, family, and work keep me too busy.