1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anybody else here play the genre Cow punk?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by milkman-27, Dec 6, 2013.

1. milkman-27

milkman-27

2. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I would love to... the best I get is playing along to Meat Puppets records. I love Meat Puppets II, Up on the Sun and Mirage especially.

3. mpm32

mpm32

Here's a cow punk story. A long while back I was in a punk band and we played at CBGBs quite a few times. One time we played and the band that came on after us started pulling all these hay bales on stage. When they came on, they were wearing country music suits from the 50's - fringe, white piping.

Anyway, they started playing this twangy slow 50's 2/4 thing that went on for a a couple of minutes. We, in our leather punk gear were like, what the hell is this crap. Then the 2/4 thing stopped - singer shouted 1,2,3,4 and they ripped into this killer cow punk set, kicking the hay bales, hay flying everywhere. We ended up hanging out with them after the show.

The bands name was Goober and the Peas. Killer drummer. Many years later I found out their drummer I was hanging out with was Jack White.

So yeah it would be really fun to play in a cow punk band.

4. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

It depends on your interpretation of "Cow Punk"
    I have been a big fan of it for a long time.
    I was in a band that played a lot of Lone Justice and Social Distortion.
    I loved it

7. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I always liked Jason and The Scorchers and the Blasters were pretty cool. Saw Hank III once in San Francisco but the crowd really ruined it for me. A bunch of people came dressed as rodeo clowns and were doing a stupid cross between square dancing and slam dancing. It kind of turned the music into a joke

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

+1. I also liked Blood on the Saddle to a degree.

I never considered the Meat Puppets to be cowpunk, but I guess some/most of the second album fits in there.

I saw Jason and the Scorchers (well, Jason and Warner with a different rhythm section) twice in 2011 and they still kick a ton of ass. Their most recent album, Halcyon Times, is easily their best since Lost & Found.

9. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

You could say cowpunk began with Sir Douglas and "She's About A Mover," but since at the time the idea was to cash in on the British Invasion, maybe that's a bit too much. I like Joe Ely as an early practitioner, myself. (Dig Jimmy Pettit on the bass...)
    http://youtu.be/U_be2tC8UO8

10. lustersilk

lustersilk

Seeing The Blasters tonight with X. Can't wait - woo hoo.

11. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

I guess you learn something everyday
    never heard of cow punk lol

12. chilepunkbass

chilepunkbass

does social distortion count?

13. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Sounds like a great show!

14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I forgot all about Joe Ely. He use to jam and hang out with the Clash. Joe Stummer loved him as a performer

15. Richland123

Richland123

Definitely Jason & The Scorchers. I used to play some of their songs and I even got to sing one with Jason at a festival.

The Rainmakers
    The Cruzados
    The Beat Farmers

16. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    For every genre you can think of there's at least 10 subgenres and those 10 have 10 more etc.

To me the Blasters have always been just been rockabilly. Jason and the Scorchers same except with a little more country to it. Meat Puppets are psychedelic.

Everyone's got their opinion I guess. Cowpunk is probably a useful marketing term for the hipsters so they don't think they are listening to their parent's music.

17. ifallalot

ifallalot

I love this type of music. I'm currently looking for like minded individuals

18. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

My current band I guess would be considered "cow punk", or some version of electric punk and bluegrass/country. It's not my usual cup o' tea, but it's pretty fun to play and has really pushed me outside of my comfort zone. I played punk for a looong time, so it's not really the biggest stretch, but we've got a lot of vocal harmonies that I never did before in a punk band, and that's really the fun part. Plus, our original stuff is really, really fast tempo, which adds to the challenge. Songs are fun, I like the guys, so I play it!

19. bassteban

bassteban

I think my un-named therapeutic punk power trio hits this genre w/an original and some covers(for example Cocaine Blues ala Cash but pretty sped-up and sloppy). Will do some research

20. ifallalot

ifallalot

Great song, great bassline. I miss 80s fashion as well:bag:

21. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

"I keep my fingernails long so they click when I play the piano."