Anybody else notice the sharp increase in Yamaha popularity and value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Jan 28, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Roscoe and Bluesman Vintage Basses Gold Supporting Member

I am a fanboy so I don't count....but I am just curious if anyone else has noticed the sharp increase in "vintage" and no so vintage Yamaha basses. I have picked up a few and have often been beaten to the punch by others. There have been several Yamaha's that I would like to have picked up but could not afford the price....but that has not seemed to stop others as the prices I have seen some Yamaha basses go for has been remarkable. As a truly Yamaha fan....it really is cool to see such appreciation for a bass manufacturer that I feel has gone somewhat under the radar for a while.
  2. Leo thechampion

Leo thechampion

I hadn't noticed but they have always had incredible quality since the late 1970's
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Zero increase in popularity or value local to me. They're a hard sell in my market as anything but a beginner's instrument.

Yamaha quality is mostly myth ("Yeah, they're no-soul, but they're really well-made" is the standard bubba lore). They contract to the same mills as everyone else and those contractors screw up like they do with everyone else. There may be a little additional pre-ship re-inspection, as Ibanez and Schecter do with their product from the identical contractors, but in 2012 there's not anything to differentiate Yamaha quality from other brands.
  4. Zoa

Zoa

Yeah, I have. I think people are starting to realize that Yamaha has really been the king of the mid-tier priced basses. Kind of a pain really, a bunch of studio musicians in my area have been bitching about it, as you used to be able to get an incredible-quality instrument for a small price, and that isn't the case any more.
  5. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

6. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I haven't. Only place I hear about Yamaha basses is here on Talkbass.
  7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    I see quite a few in pawn shops and most are very abused looking.
  8. Duckwater

Duckwater

I've always loved Yamaha, but I haven't noticed an increase of value or popularity.
  9. Bongolation

Bongolation

This, totally...and only from a relative handful of people.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I think 1st generation TRB prices are very high and the old Broad Basses like BB2000s and BB3000s are not quite high, but are certainly not giveaways anymore. The rest of the Yamahas are fairly affordable. Even the high end Nathan East and Pattitucci Sigs are not bad considering what they cost new.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It's about time. Yamaha has been making awesome instruments for decades.
    When I see an instrument like the BB3000MA, a true jewel of a bass with boutique level features that can't even sell 2nd hand for 1000, it makes me cringe.
    I got a BB5000 for 550. They should rate for at least double that.
  12. jmbjandfam

jmbjandfam Supporting Member

I don't know about anybody else but they've increased in popularity with me and are my main players and therefore have more value to me than before I discovered them.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I've got no problem with used Yamahas being inexpensive. I am more than happy to let others continue to spend big bank on Fenders, Rickenbackers, MTDs, Foderas, etc. I would happy if Yamaha and Peavey prices never catch up to what they are worth!:bassist:
  14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

+1 me too :rolleyes:
  15. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

Having bought and sold Yamaha within the past year I have to give a resounding "no."
  16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Still super under appreciated IMHO yammys are great basses.

I just got an attitude standard 5 that is stupid good for the $275 I paid. It's sitting in the rack with my sadowsky and vintage fender.
  17. armybass

Well I was obviously talking about the TRB's and BB's. I have seen the TRB's and BB's going for considerably more here than what they were just a few years ago and moving at higher prices while scores of Fenders and Music Man basses sit for months. I have been seeing the older BB's going for $800 plus and have seen a few including a Nathan East get zapped up for $2000. To me that is amazing when there is a pre EB Saber sitting for months at $1500.
  18. armybass

Tell em Doc.... :D
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I wouldn't know about any changes in value, but the playabilty, build quality and sound of my TRB5P-II is equal to that of any of my other basses, including the Fodera. Some of the high-end BB models are superb basses as well.
  20. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Ive only seen 2 Yamaha basses in players hands in my lifetime so far. One was a beat to hell fretless beginner bass that sounded great (a single P pickup), the other was some hideous sounding PJ thing that looked almost as bad as it sounded.

The band context that the second one was in is probably why I didn't care for it too much. All girl super trebly "rock" with terrible instrumentation and worse singing is not my cup of tea:p