1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anybody else own a Markbass CMD JB?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ash Jazz, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

What bass are you using with it?

What styles do you mostly play?

How do you dial in your tone?

I'm using a Marcus Miller Jazz.

I mostly play Rock and blues although I would like to stretch out into jazz.

I just got it yesterday so I haven't quite settled on settings yet. Been having fun playing around with it though!
  2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Great choice of amp. Got mine in '08, added the NY 151 last year.

Play blues , rock and jazz .

Usually set everything @ noon , filters off .

Amp sounds great with my p s , j s , p / j s, EBO, Rivoli , fretted, Fretless , rounds , flats and tapewounds .

Loved this combo and added the extension cab and really brought out the beast . Enjoy yours.
  3. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

Thanks, I wish Markbass would come out with a matching extension cab.
  4. dlb1001

dlb1001

I have had my JB for a couple of years. For blues gigs, I bumped up the low and mid low knobs to 1:00. Then, set the mid high and high knobs to 11:00. Finally, I turned off the filters.
    For basses, I used a P bass, J bass and a Stingray. I usually didn't have to change the settings; however, for a few gigs, I did have lower the mid low and low settings since the room was boomy.
  5. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

The NY151 is a perfect mate to the Berlin. Simply turn he tweeter off. An impressive looking and sounding compact rig.
  6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I believe the OP is referring to the new JB Players School combo and not the Jeff Berlin CMD151 combo.
  7. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

I have the players school model. I seem to be a rarity but compared to the less expensive TC and GK's I think this was a good step up in quality.
  8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

These are relatively new amps and are just hitting some of the stores. In fact, I've only seen one in the couple of local GC's that I've been in. I liked the tone. I think people may question whether or not it can hold it's own with a band.

I think the more you talk it up and give some real world experience with it, the more popular it'll be. I think it's a nice price point and that it sounds better (to me) than the the CMD121 combo.
  9. Ash Jazz

Ash Jazz

I brought it back and bought the 151p Jeff Berlin.

After living for a few days with the Players School amp I fell in love with the tone. It produces a very clean round tone without a bunch of ancillary sound. In fact the amp is dead quiet. It will make you a better musician as you will hear very clearly every mistake. At the same time it allows you to be more expressive. There are times you want rumbling thunder and thats cool but that is not what this amp is about. This is more like owning a classical instrument and I really came to appreciate the tone especially when paired with the active electronics on my Marcus Miller Jazz.

Plus in the studio and rehearsal it was plenty loud enough even playing with a heavy hitting drummer.

...but...

I don't think it would get me very far in a noisy crowded bar room. I sold my big rig and upgraded to the cmd 151p JB. Some day I'll probably add the New York 151 to it. In the meantime I'm going to see how this hangs. Right now I'm in "spare my back" heaven.

I think this amp sounds tremendous. You can dial in the Players School amp tone but in general it is a much darker and more powerful amp....and it rumbles too if you want it to.

The VLE is awesome for getting a great motown tone very quickly and the VPF is great for very quickly getting to that scouped slap n pop kind of tone. It makes three primary sounds instantly available to you.

It's amazing how loud this thing will get especially considering it's size and weight, plus it hasn't sacrificed anything in tone.

The JB version has no tweeter, a fact I actually appreciate on this amp, and the faceplate faces forward which I actually prefer.

I did need to come up with a boat load of money. I started looking at a $300 TC, stepped up to the Players School at $550 and now the CMD 151p JB at $1100. Probably should have just spent that much to begin with. Probably would have ended up with totally different gear if I was shopping around at that price point but I'm not disappointed. I'm really enjoying this amp.
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Good choice . Enjoy .