1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Anybody ever heard of a Carl Meisel Bass and know what it's worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AndrewClaycomb, Oct 11, 2008.

1. AndrewClaycomb

AndrewClaycomb

I've had this bass for many years now, and I've never really known anything about it. I bought it at a school auction (I guess "Save the Music" needs more funding) and used it mainly for classical and jazz. (Tried to do slap bass but that was futile)

Anybody ever heard of it, know details about it, or even know the value of it? I'm thinking about auditioning for a scholarship with my school's orchestra and if I do that, I would probably sell this bass and buy something above entry level.

I'm going to start going through what I do know:

Made by Carl Meisel
    3/4 size
    plywood (i'm assuming)
    Label says it was made in West Germany
    It says Stradivarius on the label. (Hand Written)
    I can get a serial number as well as another number that's hand written inside if you need it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AndrewClaycomb

AndrewClaycomb

3. AndrewClaycomb

AndrewClaycomb

4. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Fantastic.....I love the subtle repairs. Who was the Luthier?
    Could you please post bigger pictures? And, possibly more?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Hmmm... did Wilbur Ware ever pass through the Wichita school system? ;)

7. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Is there a chill in here?

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Andrew.. I had a laminate Meisel bass for awhile... it was pretty decent. I did a bunch of recording and gigging on that thing. If I had a big storage space somewhere, I'd have probably hung onto it for touring.

9. AndrewClaycomb

AndrewClaycomb

So it looks like I've done a first on talkbass... Too many pics!

I agree, some of the repairs look pretty bad. Especially the tuning key, every time I look at it I think "Even I could have done a better looking job than that!"

10. AndrewClaycomb

AndrewClaycomb

The bass actually feels pretty solid (I've taken it on a bus from here to Chicago and back for a few performances, and once we were in Chicago it was exposed to freezing temperatures.) I have no idea what it must have taken for all the damage to occur. Wilbur is a local middle school I think, so I'm guessing that some youngins had a hand. (and maybe the janitor attempted a few repairs before they sent it to a Luthier.)

In its condition, is it worth anything?

11. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

:p

12. Aleph5

Aleph5 Supporting Member

I met Barry Bales once and asked what his bass was. I could almost swear he said it was a Meisel.

13. richhansen

richhansen

Disclosures:
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    I love my Meisel bass. Mine looks quite similar to yours, except mine is fully carved. It's a very good, solid, nice playing bass with good tone. My tag inside the body says "Karl Meisel Geigen und Cellobau Stradivarius Made in Mittenwald West Germany, serial no. 17127"

I've tried contacting the current Meisel company to see if they could help me date mine, and I didn't get any response. I think they may be out of business, if they even did haven any contact with the original Meisel factory in Germany.

14. harrybwls

harrybwls

i have the same bass i think the neck is rosewood and the same repairs have been made not a bad bass i paid 800 for mine let me know what u have found out about this bass i wouldnt mind knowing more

15. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Jeesh, man.....I just tried to say that sentence without taking a breath like you didn't and found myself on the god damn floor. :atoz:

16. Ghost_Note

Ghost_Note

Hey Paul, perhaps Harry also plays tuba?

To OP: Those photos almost made me cry.

17. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

That's still not enough of an excuse, man.

18. farmerdude

farmerdude

Thats crazy... I also have that same bass with the same repair to the scroll with the same beat up finish. I absolutley love this bass- it is a cannon. It also have a very sweet arco tone...

[​IMG]

19. harrybwls

harrybwls

sorry about not using periods.

20. harrybwls

harrybwls

so is there any info on this bass. i have heard it was made in the late 50's and 60's. if there are any websites. or any books i could buy please let me know. oh and i play the kazzooooooo not the tuba guys your all so silly oh and i can play the bass well but my writing isnt so great

21. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Sorry to be so silly.
    I've run across many a Meisel throughout the years. I hate to be the bad news guy, and please remember there are exceptions to ever rule. Farmerdude and Rich seem to have found a goody, and hopefully, maybe you have too. The ones I've seen/played/sold weren't too hot. Factory in the worst sense of the word. Over-stand problems, weak neck joints, awful varnish. Many of the ones I'm familiar with were rescued from Jr. and high school programs, which didn't help ther health.
    Sorry man, when I hear the name I can't help but think....cheap.
    With the silly prices of Kay/Englehart, you may be cool financially.