Anybody ever heard of this? Riff Station

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Apparently not, eh? I just noticed their banner ad on TB, looked over their website, and searched here for comments on how it works with a bass. Yours is the only thread the search turned up and it looks like mine is the only comment so far and I am as clueless as you. On the other hand they offer a 30 day free trial so I may download it and see if it does anything useful for a bass player. If they advertise it on TB they must feel that at does....

Ken
  3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Same story here ... just found an ad for it and looking for more info.

The idea of a piece of software that will instantly tell me the chords for a song is very appealing for learning material, if it produced a tab chart, even better.

I wonder if it determines the chords directly from the MP3 or else fingerprints the MP3 and downloads a chord sequence from elsewhere ... I suspect (and hope) it must be the former.
  4. Riffstation

Riffstation

Disclosures:
    Co-founder of Riffstation
    Hi all,

My name is Mikel. I am one of the founders of Riffstation.

I know this is an old thread, but I have just found it and I thought it would be a good idea to drop in to say "Hello".

If you guys still have any question about Riffstation, I would be very happy to answer them :)

Cheers

Mikel
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ics1974

ics1974

I have a question regarding the feature with isolating the guitar and solo or muting it. Can this be done with the Bass parts of a song?
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Same question here.
  8. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Hello Mikel, thank you for posting to respond to enquiries about your product as advertised here, and welcome to the forum. :)

Could I ask you to take a minute to read the commercial user policy under the Rules/FAQ/CUP section (link at top of page), as you clearly are in this category and it does contain some very useful info. Filling out the disclosure section in your user profile would also be helpful - please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Answering specific questions about the product like those asked above is fine, of course, and very much appreciated.

Thanks!
  9. Riffstation

Riffstation

Disclosures:
    Thanks for welcoming me to the forum! Thanks for the link to the commercial user policy too. I completely understand that point.

My intention is only to contribute with answers to direct questions about Riffstation

Thanks again
  10. Riffstation

Riffstation

Disclosures:

Hi bassinplace, ics1974

In principle, the isolation tool in Riffstation is capable of isolating almost any instrument but results vary from song to song and largely depend on how the song was mixed and produced.

In the case of the bass, the tool generally works pretty well at muting the bass but less good at extracting the bass
  11. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    Cool. ;)

Have a thread bump on me.
  12. scurvy

scurvy

13. theclarks1

theclarks1

I would love to have something like this for the bass!!
  14. Haji

Haji

So does the bass version exist yet or what?
  15. Riffstation

Riffstation

Disclosures:
    Hi Haji,

Although Riffstation was designed with guitarists in mind, it can also work quite well with bass.
    You can use the loop, pitch and slow down tools as they are. The root notes on the chord strip can be used as a bassline guide. You can even remove the Maj and Min tags by enabling the Power Chord mode.

The isolate tool in Riffstation can be used to remove or isolate bass parts in an mp3 (and other audio files). However, the results will vary depending on how the song was recorded and produced. Here's a screenshot showing a typical bass setting:

[​IMG]

You can select M or S depending on whether you want to solo or mute the part. I've found that it can sometimes help to shift the isolated bass part up an octave using the pitch tool to make it easier to work out the notes. (but I am a guitar player... :) )

Cleanly isolating a bass part isn't quite as easy as isolating a guitar part, it has to be said. This is down to the fact that bass guitars generally share their 'sonic real-estate' with the kick drum and their high-mid definition cannot be captured because it has to be filtered off in order to catch the 'body' of the bass sound. The isolate tool can yield some impressive results though. We've a 30 day trial on our site if you want to give it a go.

We don't currently feel enough changes are needed to warrant the release of a 'Bass-station' but we are open to the possibility if bass players feel they've been neglected when it comes to this kind of software. Is there something we've overlooked in regards to bass transcription? If anybody has any ideas we'd love to hear them.

Cheers!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Haji likes this.
  16. mandohack

mandohack Supporting Member

Hi, Mikel.

After selecting a section of the waveform for looping, is there a way to expand the selection in one direction or the other? Say I've got four beats selected and want to add two more beats as I'm learning the line. Is this possible? Adding beats prior to the current selection is also useful.

Thanks!
  17. Riffstation

Riffstation

Disclosures:
    We're currently working hard on Riffstation 2.0, in which you'll be able to fully adjust loops in the manner you described. Riffstation 2.0 is a free upgrade available to all users later this year. I can't wait!

Cheers.
  18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I forgot about this thread... I bought RS shortly after I posted this. It's a great tool.
  19. Riffstation

Riffstation

Disclosures:
    Awesome, glad you like it! Thanks. :)
  20. mandohack

mandohack Supporting Member

Awesome. Liking the tool so far, can't wait to see what's in store for v2.0.