1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anybody ever seen one of these?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joel406, Jan 7, 2014.

1. joel406

joel406

2. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

They are Univox Hi-Flyer clones if not the real deal as i cannot see the headstock. They are short scale basses i believe.
  3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

Yes. It's a Mosrite bass. I had an Aria that is an exact copy. It's short scale, very thin and light. Sounds awesome. Really nails that '60s garage band sound. But no way in hell is it worth $3,500.

They are not rare and not scarce, no matter what people say on eBay. People these days are asking crazy money for Mosrites. I would not pay more than $500 with a case for one. But that's just me. If you are really interested and have the money, offer $1,000 for it. The seller will probably laugh at you but it's worth a shot.
  4. wvbass

wvbass

Looks like it says Mosrite on the headstock, so it may actually be what the seller says it is.
  5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

Actually the Univox and Arias are clones of the Mosrite. This one looks to be a real Mosrite. The logo (from what I can see of it) looks correct.

Still not worth what he's asking though.
  6. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Too much money for not enough bass. Old, somewhat rare, not a steller holy grail.
  7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Semie Mosley used to make them out in sunny California.

Popular with the Ventures. There are a lot better basses for that money.
  8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

If it's an original Mosrite, it's kind of a collector bass, but grossly overpriced. Mosrites of this type are not high-priced vintage basses. As noted above, Aria and Univox made a lot of very good copies. They're light and fun to play - I've had one of the Arias.

You can buy essentially the same instrument brand new from Eastwood:

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/index.php/eastwood-guitars/eastwood-bass/item/hi-flyer-bass

And here's a pretty decent Univox on Ebay (needs a neck pickup repair) for $125: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Univox-Hi-Flyer-bass-/131087297305?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e85696b19

There are a number of Univox models on Ebay in the $300 range right now.
  9. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Sorry, my mistake.
    Owned a univox before and thought that was the original that was being cloned.
  10. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Looks like a nice example, but he's out of his mind at that price. Completely.
  11. RickBlair

RickBlair

I just bought a similar Mosrite a couple of weeks ago. It has the natural neck and headstock but the same Sunburst finish. I won't mention what I paid for it since I got an unusually good deal.

Every Mosrite I've seen from the 70's has had a lot of cracking in the clearcoat, mine included. The cracks don't always show up in pics so that is why I think the seller only shows distance shots and makes some vague reference to aging.

I played a Mosrite for close to 30 years as my only bass so I am partial to them but I realize they are not for everyone. I'm enjoying the 2 pickup version - super easy to play and it has a modern-enough yet unique sound.

In conclusion, I think the asking price for that CL bass is very high. Ventures models sell for higher prices but not even that high.

Rick B.
  12. pfox14

pfox14

Mosrite is a brand that a lot of collectors seek out. They are mostly known for their guitars. $3500 for this bass is a ridiculous price.
  13. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I'm a bit of a collector and know a good bit about Mosrites of that era. I'm not even sure that it's a "real" Ventures bass. Let me explain. The Ventures deal with Semi last only a few years from approximately 1965 through approximately 1968, give or take. Semi kept on making the identical bass, just without the Ventures signature decal on the headstock. Even though most are referred to as Ventures guitars, only the ones in those few years and with the signature headstock are real Ventures guitars. The early Ventures basses had only one pickup and Fenderish clover leaf tuners. I'd have to check my facts, but I believe that all of the "duckfoot" tuners are on non-Ventures. Yes, price is on the high side for the CL one, but it does have the bridge cover, as most were tossed like the Fender ones were. I bought a reproduction one from Japan many years ago and "aged" it to fit the rest of my '65 Ventures single pickup sunburst. I also took the pickguard with me on the one and only Surfin' To Baha cruise with the Ventures and all of them signed it. With my '65, that price might be getting a little more realistic. I did have a '72 that looks just like the CL one that I sold within the last two years for $1100.00. :cool:

PS - Semi's last production site was here in NC in a little crossroads town in the mountains named Jonas Ridge. His grave is just off the highway going through Jonas Ridge and I go by it at least once a year on our way to the Christmas Tree farm. Last I checked, his widow still lives there in a modest house that sits on the road and nearly adjacent to the cemetery where Semi is buried. I've also heard that his daughter was planning on resurrecting his Mosrite business, but I've heard nothing beyond that.