1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anybody have a cheap bass they'd always keep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jan 22, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Anybody here have a cheap bass they'd always keep? I'm going to define "cheap" as <$300.

Not to sound too self-serving, but I asked this question because I have to make a choice. I've owned some really nice basses in the past and because of stupid choices either sold them, traded them, or modded them so that now I play a couple of SX basses because that's all the bass money I had left.

However, the MM/J is pretty darn nice! The neck plays really well after I leveled the frets, and the body vibrates really nicely. It has a good unplugged sound and sounds good plugged in. I've replaced the tuners with a different set I had laying around and replaced the bridge with a high mass brass saddle one. I've shielded the cavities, installed a split coil switch for the MM, and a push/pull series/parallel switch for the two pups. It was a pretty good bass and with some work it's even better.

These are sound clips from this bass:

60's

70's

MM/J

Now, I'm going to be getting around $200 for my birthday and I could probably get another $300 for these two basses. $500 buys a lot of used bass. BassNW has a minty Lakland 44-01, a nice upscale Ibanez, and a Fender Jazz 24 all for $500 each. Would they be better, though? This is my dilemma.

So, which cheapie bass(es) would you never part with?

And

What would you do in my situation?
  2. jet_king

jet_king

old Japan univox half-scale my friend gave me. The thing is so retro but i'd never go on live with it
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

MSRP? New? Used? Expensive, but on sale?

Be clear.
  4. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

No problem. I mean a bass that either has a MSRP of under $300 or is a sub $300 CL or garage sale find. I don't mean the MIA Fender Jazz that the crazy guy down the street sold you for $250 to get booze money.
  5. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

My very first bass guitar, the one I learned to play with, is an old Peavey Fury that I'll never get rid of. Even went and bolted on a Badass bridge, just to spice it up a tad.
  6. Odyjon

Odyjon

My first pbass. Upgraded it a bit. Fender squire for 100 bucks. Stuck some real fender p pickups. in there.
  7. Noosh

Noosh

Ill probably never get rid of my peavey millenium bxp and my ltd b55. Both were christmas gifts the year I learned to play and im still playing both of them 8 years later. I also have an Ibanez ATK 750 that I dont forsee myself even thinking about selling either, but I paid a little more for it.
  8. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

My Harlem pj cost like 150... First bass that my dad bought for me
  9. Wallace320

Wallace320

It's a made in Taiwan model from early '90s on which I learned to play (yeah: I started very late in time... a former record collector, I instilled in my younger brother the passion for hard n'heavy music and already a bass player himself he taught me a bunch of chops in return:bassist:)

I presented him a Yamaha BBN5 back then and a Yamaha Attitude Special on his wedding day.

These're all made in Taiwan instruments from early '90s...

Yamaha BBN5 is the only completely stock; Yamaha Attitude Special was luthier scallopped on last 5 frets, then reglossed, and it had both DiMarzio WillPower (neck and split pickups... the original one havin' just poor reproductions) and a Hipshot BT7 bass extender.

My Yamaha RBX350 is now equipped with Fender flats, sports a Hipshot GB7 bass extender and dual EMGhz (P/J pickups) in place of original average output ones

They're killer basses and, even with all other 19 basses in my stable, they're still gettin' playin' time and sure goin' nowhere

Cheers,
    Wallace
  10. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

My first bass, yamaha rbx 170. Defretted, modded and painted, but Ill always have it.
  11. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

I guess my two Squiers, a VM P and VM J. WOuld really like to keep both of those for a good long time, if I can.
  12. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

My Squier SS Jag. This was introduced six months after I wrote Fender a letter requesting such a bass. I have no idea if anyone at Fender actually read it, but like to delude myself that I had an influence in the design of this bass.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I got rid of my cheap basses but I wish I had kept my Ibanez EDB600. I paid $290 for it abut 10 years ago. It had the fastest neck I had ever played and sound great. Also, my Schechter Stiletto. I bought it last year for $275. Nice sounding bass that played well.
  14. StoutFellow

StoutFellow Supporting Member

I was lucky enough to snag one of the YamahaBB425 on Amazon/MF for just 299 delivered:)
    I can't imagine ever selling it. It's a beautiful bass. And came in just under your threshold for "cheap"
    But the only thing cheap about my BB425 is the price.
  15. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Thanks man! I am keeping mine too. :D
  16. optikhog

optikhog

This. I picked one up used and it's now my favorite bass by far. I've gone so far as to send my much more expensive basses to new homes.
  17. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Ibanez Mikro I got off CL for 40 bucks. Stripped the finsh and had custom art work done by my mother inlaw. Great little bass!
  18. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Still got my Rogue VB100. Replaced just about everything but the pickups and it was still well under $300. Plays like butter and has has a much wider variety of sound than I'd thought possible from a supposed "one-trick pony." What else could you ask of a bass regardless of what the price tags says? Can't imagine getting rid of it.
  19. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Keeping my Danelectro Dano 63 short scale bass I bought for $175 used. Keeping my Hofner Icon violin bass I bought for $265.
  20. ShowLow

ShowLow Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

Fender MIJ Precision Lyte Deluxe. Bought used via TB at a bargain price. Keeping it forever.