1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Anybody here recently receive their SGD Lutherie pickups order? part 2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by john turner, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

this is a continuation of this thread :

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/a...ickups-order-754543/index26.html#post14685348

anyone who has ordered items that they have not received in a reasonable/expected period of time, please contact me about it via pm. please include the date the item(s) were ordered and price paid. i will keep this information confidential.

thank you

btw, so far, i've heard from over a dozen individuals who have waited anything from 3-4 months to over 2 years for what seems to be a universally quoted 2 week turnaround.

if you do not have any experience directly dealing with SGD (ordering gear, for example), please do not post in this thread. every possible peanut gallery opinion has already been shared and doesn't need to be shared again - reiterating them now is just disruptive and could be perceived as trolling (and treated appropriately). this thread is to help the folks directly involved get what they ordered.

on the other hand, if you do have an outstanding order with david, or have ordered from him in the past, please share your experiences, good or bad. and of course, as always, rule 1 will be enforced - consider this a friendly reminder.

i know folks are somewhat emotional about this topic, especially those who have ordered pickups and haven't gotten their orders in the time promised. let's just remember that the people who you are responding to in this thread are probably not the reason why your order hasn't proceeded as planned, and attacking each other does nothing productive, and could result in penalties.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Got my first order in about 4 months. (Placed Sept. 2011)

Got my second order in about 1 week. (Placed maybe 5 months ago)

Got my third order in 3 days. (Placed last week)

Phenomenal sounding pickups and even my longest wait was very reasonable for a handmade product of such high quality!

Keep in mind, I did not order anything weird. Just his normal Neo pickups. I know wait times go up for orders that are completely custom, as with anything.

Maybe TB should give David his own forum to keep TB customers updated, as well as to have a place for folks to ask pickup questions. David has a wealth of knowledge and it would be nice to have a central place for him to be able to continue to help TB users out!
  3. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

I placed my order, a standard set of N3 pickups, in July 2012. I was quoted a two week turn around time, and am still waiting.

I've been given a long string of "they're shipping next week" stories stretching back about 11 months.
  4. sevenone

sevenone

"Got my second order in about 1 week. (Placed maybe 5 months ago)
    Got my third order in 3 days. (Placed last week)"

That is BS!
  5. mmbongo

You calling me a liar?
  6. LDonnie

LDonnie Supporting Member

I think he means he just finds it unfair to the other customers that you got multiple orders in a small window of time, rather than calling you a liar.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

+1
  8. mmbongo

Let's hope so! I'd be glad to provide the proof if it's the latter.

Keep in mind again that none of my orders were custom, just normal pickups. My latest order that took 3 days was for a pickup that David already had made and just so happened to be exactly what I was looking for. My others could have already been made as well, I don't know. Like I said..they're nothing out of the ordinary.
  9. Handyman

Handyman Supporting Member

My more than a year late order is also just for two normal pickups. :(
  10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Just thought I'd share my recent experience with SGD.

I ordered a set of wide aperture ND3s in chrome guitar humbucker covers for a custom hollowbody on August 8th, 2012.

David shipped them to Chris Stambaugh's shop on January 2nd, 2013.

In the course of our emails I had requested that my order be changed to chrome T-Bird covers (still a wide aperture ND3 set just in a different form factor) but David didn't make the change and shipped the pickups as I originally ordered.

Considering we've traded 80 emails and I made the request well after my initial order I don't fault David for the mixup. He offered to build me a new set and I agreed, with Chris shipping the pickups back to his shop.

The new versions didn't ship until May 28th which was much later than promised and more than a little stressful as the bass was finished and waiting for pickups. But the bass was completed and Chris and I were both impressed with the quality and sound of the pickups.

In general this is my impression of David & SGD:

David has a wealth of knowledge about pickups and electronics that he shares generously both on TB and via email. He also makes phenomenal pickups. I don't think he has any intention at all of cheating anyone but his quoted lead times are obviously way, way off. Whether it is the case that David really thinks he can finish pickups when he tells people they are "shipping this week" or is using it to buy some time I don't know.

But I sincerely hope that David gets to the point that he is consistently hitting his quoted lead times because the end product is fantastic.

I think one recommendation would be that SGD cease all custom work (ie anything that isn't listed as currently for sale on the website) to help expedite things. David has often held up the fact that an order was custom as a reason for extended delays. If that's the case, I'd say focus on standard products instead. I can understand not wanting to turn away a sale, but having SGD product delivered within the quoted lead time would lead to so many more orders anyway.

I for one would not hesitate to recommend SGD pickups IF orders were being filled as quoted.

Finally, it wasn't even the long wait that frustrated me (or I"m guessing most SGD customers) the most. I am patient. And if I'd been quoted an accurate time, even if it was a long one I'd have been fine with that. But you absolutely can't tell customers that an order is shipping this week or next week and then have the saga drag on for months afterward. That's unfair and will only draw ire.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give my assessment of things. And to be clear, I was frustrated at times as a customer but still, I don't want to see David and SGD torn down. I want to see him turn things around and succeed.
  11. mmbongo

Jeez I just can't imagine waiting that long. David will come through, but man. I just couldn't do it.
  12. Black Sheep

Black Sheep Supporting Member

Jared pretty well sums it up here.
    I'm not sure there's much more that can be dealt with in a good way in this thread, other than just the simple comment of each experience.
    David is an excellent builder and an important part of the custom and hand-built pickup community. He is also known for this outside of the TB community.
    I am a satisfied customer, even if my order also took longer than expected. The P2 neo wides are really very good pickups, they sound amazing.
    People are rightly upset with the business, though; the issues should not be just brushed off.
    Like I said, not sure what can be done here in public forum. The issues are on the table at this point.
  13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

I was truly hoping to use David's pickups in my new bass that's being made. He told me they'd be done on time, but after reading the last thread I went with someone else. He's so incredibly knowledgable about pickups and really seemed to understand what I was looking for. I'm still waiting to see if he turns things around as I'd love to try the pickups in the future.
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I don't have a dog in this fight, David seems like a good guy from my dealings with him on TB. The one thing I remember reading was that he was trying to catch up on old orders along side of doing new orders. I disagree with this approach. The oldest orders should be completed first.
  15. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I agree. If it turns out that the pickups that were shipped in 3 days after the order are exactly the pickups I ordered months ago, I would be pretty upset.

As far as David being here by choice or not, my experience is that business people with a presence on the internet should never try to defend themselves in public forums. It just never works out well, regardless of intent or what happens. What starts as an honest delay or issue that David runs into gets interpreted as misrepresentation and someone will always find amplify that and things blow up. The best possible thing that David could do is fulfill the oldest orders to people who would then post on this thread that they finally got their pickups. I don't recall seeing any posts in this thread where people are celebrating the receipt of their pickups. That does not make me confident about the imminent arrival of my pickups. Months ago, I used to get hopeful every day around the time the mail arrived. No longer. I don't think that David is trying to rip me off, either, but at this point it just feels like money thrown away. Hopefully it's not, but that's what it feels like. I still don't feel ripped off, though. Just disappointed.

Purpose of this thread? I don't think it's to expedite any orders. David will go at the pace he goes regardless of what gets said here. I think it's just an opportunity to vent, commiserate and, hopefully at some point, celebrate. So, if you have gotten your pickups, speak up and give us hope!
  16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

If David's pickups were available from a distributor and were in stock and ready to ship I'd have ZERO issue recommending them highly if they fit the sound someone was going for. Very well designed and great sounding pickups. Which is why I hope he gets everything squared away.

To be clear, I don't think David can work through a distributor. Part of his business model is offering many different permutations (pickup types, form factors etc) such that it would require a distributor to carry too many different SKUs and they still wouldn't likely cover all the situations that come up, not to mention cutting into David's margins.

I'm not sure what the answer is to make things right but I hope it happens.
  17. Mungi

Mungi Supporting Member

I think part of the problem is that David's passion is pickups and music electrontics. If he gets a custom order ( like mine, for instance) he is delighted because it gives him a chance to put his immense knowledge to test. Exhilarated by those challenges, he will take on more than he can handle (in time). That is his problem and also why I personally like him and trust him. Is is passionate about what he does, and his passion leads him astray. But is passion is not money, mind you.

Edwin - whatever search I do concerning music electronicis, I will find either you and/or David there sharing your knowledge. Thanks so much for that. Btw, a Swedish Dead Head friend of mine saw your band a couple of times.
  18. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    This sounds absolutely right on. His passion and expertise are clear. I'd also love to meet him and hang.

You're welcome. I hope I don't lead you astray!

I hope your friend enjoyed the shows. I've only been with them for a short time in their long (from 1987) history, so it may not have been me. There's also another band with the same name in Connecticut!
  19. Jonno0304

Jonno0304

My two cents:

I ordered a pair of standard pickups back in february, at the time the website was quoting 4-6 week turnaround. It has now been now almost 6 months and I have missed two recording opportunities in that time, and essentially I was purchasing these pickups to improve those recordings.

To start with, David would always reply to my PMs and would tell me that they would be done in a week or so. For the last several months there have been no replies, my messages dissapearing into the ether.

On the one hand, I understand he has many orders to fill, some taking longer, has had problems with materials etc. But from my perspective I have now spent over $200 of my hard earned on a product which I have not been able to use when I intended it (in a perfectly reasonable time frame, my first recording session was three months after I placed the order, my most recent was last weekend), and to say I am getting pretty frustrated at the lack of communication is an enormous understatement. As it stands, I could not recommend anyone to purchase these, as while others have said they are great quality and worth the wait I still have no physical evidence of this myself and the customer service from SGD is just terrible.

Honestly, at this point I just want my money refunded so I can go and buy some off the shelf pickups that I can at least play even if they're not of the same quality.

David, I hope you're reading this thread and can understand the frustration of some of your customers. Please get in touch via my PMs, something needs to be arranged here.
  20. Marlat

Marlat Gold Supporting Member

It seems like there is some pretty inconsistent treatment going on. Some customers are getting their pickups shipping in days / weeks for standard pickups and others are waiting months. I can't really think of any reason to explain why older orders for standard pickups would be overlooked in favour of newer ones.

I don't think giving David "space" to promote his products on TB whilst he continues to not deliver on orders for TBers is the right approach. Quite frankly, if I had been waiting months for pickups that were promised in weeks I would take that as a slap in the face. Particularly if time was being spent on here when it could be spent building my pickups!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.